Slip-on Exhaust

• March 19, 2012 8:22 AM PDT
       Anyone ever try and/or use slip-ons? I am looking at the Vance and Hines Short Shot slip-ons.
    • 5420 posts
    March 19, 2012 8:29 AM PDT
    I run SuperTrap slip-ons and love 'em. I had them my last two Road Kings and they sound and perform great. I know lots of people who run the V&H Short Shots and those are great sounding too. They have a little more "crack" to them whereas my SuperTraps have a bit more low rumble.
  • March 19, 2012 8:54 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    I run SuperTrap slip-ons and love 'em. I had them my last two Road Kings and they sound and perform great. I know lots of people who run the V&H Short Shots and those are great sounding too. They have a little more "crack" to them whereas my SuperTraps have a bit more low rumble.

I have the V&H Pro Pipes and performance wise they are amazing....BUT....the "crack" decibel level is a bit much. I was thinkinbg of going back to slip ons...the SuperTraps may be perfect. I assume you can hear yourself think over the low rumble. (Not that I am big thinker...LOL)

• 5420 posts
    March 19, 2012 9:10 AM PDT
    Yeah, to me they have the perfect sound. A nice deep rumble and you can hear yourself think (if you ever get a wild hankerin' to do so :-). Not so loud they bug my neighbors, but loud enough so that my wife's friend at the end of our block can hear me go by and text Laura to open the garage for me :-)
  • March 19, 2012 2:42 PM PDT
    I have Rush slip-ons w/ 2" baffles... a little loud during acceleration (judging from some of the looks I get) but overall a great sound IMO.
    • 1855 posts
    March 19, 2012 3:23 PM PDT
    I got D n' D on my new Switchback. Not bad but I'm punchin' out the catalytic converter and doin' the Stage One download afterwards. It seems to have a bit too much back pressure and feels like power is being dragged/sacrificed. But I'll fix it even if it means goin' to different exhaust. Love the two into one D n D's on my wideglide though. Like Lucky said, you can hear yourself think if ya have a mind to.

Peace
  • March 19, 2012 3:43 PM PDT
    try BUB exhaust.used to be partnered up with Rhinehart now seperate.while they are throaty they are not over loud
    • 19034 posts
    March 20, 2012 12:05 AM PDT
    Rex has had Screamin Eagle slip on mufflers from mile one. Not too loud until I get into him and really twist his throttle, then he speaks with authority.
  • March 20, 2012 1:56 PM PDT
    My new slip-ons arrived today. I put them on and WOW, do they ever sound awesome.
  • March 26, 2012 1:08 PM PDT
    I didn't know Short Shots were slip ons? I thought Short Shots were an entirely independent exhaust system?
  • March 26, 2012 1:26 PM PDT
    My mistake, they are Straight Shot Slip-ons. I was also looking at the Short Shots in black.
  • March 26, 2012 5:54 PM PDT
    Are you going to get a fueler or have the bike tuned now that you changed the exhaust?
  • March 26, 2012 8:55 PM PDT
    I will pry end up getting a fuel pak to go with this. Was going to see about a different air breather first, something in black. Not sure which style.
  • March 27, 2012 4:00 AM PDT
    just make sure you put some sort of fuel management system on it or you'll run it lean and burn up your rear intake valve.
  • March 27, 2012 3:28 PM PDT
    Any suggestions on which ones might work best for me? Was looking at the Vance and Hines Fuelpak, but there are more out there. Thank u Black.
  • March 27, 2012 3:48 PM PDT
    Black9 is right. Back in the day (we called them headers) and they required rejetting the carbs. Now with fuel injection increased flow often requires a power commander. If you talk real nicely to the place you bought your bike and get the commander from them they may just tell you what settings to go to and save you some trial and error.
  • March 28, 2012 7:18 AM PDT
    SINCE, you have a Harley Davidson motorcycle may I suggest you go ahead and buy a Super Tuner and have it run on the Dyno? I'm sure a Fuel Pak would be fine but it's pretty limited in design if you're just trying to stop the popping on decel, but with a Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner by Harley Davidson they can precisely map your injection system to make the bike run at its peak proficiency. The thing, with all the new government and EPA restriction motorcycles have been reduced to being running extra lean and very inefficient out of the box... seems it wasn't that long ago you bought yourself a bike and could switch jets and get a screaming machine in no time at all... Not really pushing the company on you but if you're going to have your fuel map tweaked get something that reflects that directly to your ECM but it's all about money and who's making it these days but if it were me I'd do what it is I suggested! LOL
  • April 1, 2012 2:20 AM PDT
    I opened up my '11 Dyna WG with a Screaming Eagle Heavy breather and some V&H pipes (V&H Big Radius 2 into 2). When you look at the total system, you really are selling yourself short if you can't let the bike breath. I added a V&H FuelPak system and it turned my Dyna WG into a "rice rocket" from a performance standpoint. Where the FuelPak system ($250) pays for itself is that you do not have to pay your local HD dealer $300 to $500 to put the bike on a Dyno. All that you do is dial in the coordinates on the Fuel Pak and take off. HD's out of the factory are so choked back that I'm putting this configuration on all of my HD bikes so I can really enjoy moving in and out of traffic on the Highway ... two thumbs up!
    • 844 posts
    April 1, 2012 4:24 AM PDT
    Man, I'm glad I still have a carb on my ol' girl. All this switch this/program this is really confusing to me