04 FLHPI

• March 3, 2012 5:27 AM PST
    I'm looking at a retired police bike, i just have a couple questions . First off it has the 88ci and 22000 on it should i be worried about the cam tensioners ? And it seems to be an overall clean bike? and Second is there anyway to track down the serivice of this vehicle ?
    • 5420 posts
    March 3, 2012 5:55 AM PST
    Can't help ya on the cam tensioners. For the service there is a place called CyclyChex (https://www.cyclechex.com). Kind of like a CarFax for bikes. You can give them a try,
  • March 3, 2012 2:03 PM PST
    Also depends on year of bike... replaced my 03 at 28,000... newer models supposed to last longer... take it to mechanic... also generally police bikes are serviced as needed... in other words if had issue with front cylinder rear cylinder may or may not had been serviced same at that time... Have had friends with very good deals and been happy with retired police bikes... best of luck... later....Wooly
    • 19043 posts
    March 3, 2012 9:50 PM PST
    As one who actually got 70K (this I seriously DO NOT recommend) out of his early (04) Twinkie before replacing the tensioners I have heard it is only a common problem with the 04/05 and some 06 engines with as low as mid 20K miles so assume it is possible. East coast independant mech price for out the door repairs is around $1000. If you have good tools and mechanic skill probably around $600 to $700 stock parts, gaskets, and fluids. I would have put in more agressive cams if my engine didn't have that many miles on it. These performance cams would add about $500 to the ticket.
  • March 6, 2012 12:16 AM PST
    BrewCrew, as whom ever your buing or bought the bike from, they should have some service records or atleast tell you where they were serviced. If you know the police department the served then ask an officer, they now where the bikes went. Because this was a serivce bike you might even be able to get info from the Mother Companies Home Base as they do keep many records on preformance and such, recalls, ya got the vin number so you could check registrations for town/city and Department. Hope it helps have a great one! "T
  • March 6, 2012 12:57 AM PST
    my 2004 FLSTCI has 47K on it's 88....i asked my HD dealer in WI about cam tensioners, last yr...because my brother had just replaced his.....the dealer told me not to worry about it....so, i didn't. now...i'm worrying again.
  • March 13, 2012 10:02 AM PDT
    I'm right there with swish8 on this one, which leads me to Rex, I think I would Cam it up some if I had to gone into the moter. I would do it myself to save the coin.
    • 1 posts
    April 1, 2012 10:06 PM PDT
    remember to put the red/ blue lights back on it so you can make cagers crap their pants when you sneak up behind them...and when you hook up the sterio get the opening tune for "CHiPS"
    • 1855 posts
    April 2, 2012 2:49 AM PDT
    The issue with cam tensioners begin back in 1999. It was a recall issue for certain the '99 Wideglides. All you need to do is have an HD check out the VIN. The tensioners on my '99 ElectraGlide were replaced at around 35K miles. I replaced them with gears so I'd never have to worry about it anymore. EVO motors are gear driven and I never heard of anyone having a problem so I really don't understand why HD when the other way.

Anyway, I'd replace them. Your decision on which way to go.