Off these forums... into the garage

• 7 posts
    February 11, 2012 2:53 AM PST
    Sporty's got a wiring issue

Gotta get off these boards and out into the garage... almost as much fun as riding :-))
    • 2072 posts
    February 11, 2012 5:29 AM PST
    Hey....... If ya cant be riding....wrenching is the next best thing !!!!!
    • 5420 posts
    February 11, 2012 5:49 AM PST
    Yep, get you a TV in the garage, a six pack and maybe even a friend over to make smart a$$ remarks when you smack your knuckles - and working on the bike can be a nice getaway from everything.
    • 1516 posts
    February 11, 2012 7:07 AM PST
    ... yeah, see ya when you get done!!
    • 2 posts
    February 11, 2012 3:55 PM PST
    About time
    • 7 posts
    February 21, 2012 3:12 AM PST
    Thanks all. Sadly, Fail!! I HATE wiring... and the weather is GREAT for riding

Hey Lucky! I'm with you... except for the TV. I rock the radio :-)) And, in my neighborhood all you have to do is open the garage door and the guys pour in ;-)

I've gotten some great advice and help... costs a few cold ones but, I LOVE my neighborhood!!
  • February 21, 2012 3:29 AM PST
    Yup, if I open my garage ALL my neighbors show up! Especially their wives!?!?!? Most of them here on Ord are Mormon! (weird) and the wives will make excuses to come over and chit chat with me... I even overhead 2 of them talking about how they missed music!?!?
    Are Mormons not allowed to listen to music? Granted my brand of music isn't always the most subtle or listener friendly but wow, are these ladies really that repressed? God knows they ain't under sexed because they have a pack of kids a piece!

P.S. My apologies to any and all Mormons on this site and forum, you are of course excluded... *waits for it*
    • 16840 posts
    February 21, 2012 4:08 AM PST
    There are Mormon musicians, when they show a Romney rally on the news music is playing.
    Marie Osmond was on "dancing with the stars".
    It must be certain music they can't enjoy.
  • February 21, 2012 4:13 AM PST
    Maybe... it was weird.
    • 16840 posts
    February 21, 2012 4:22 AM PST
    Life is weird my friend. :-)
  • February 21, 2012 4:32 AM PST
    If I have AC/DC on it's like I turned into the pied piper... so to get rid of em I just throw on some Iron Maiden or Motorhead! :-)
    • 1855 posts
    February 21, 2012 4:57 AM PST
    A garage!!!!!!!! The best place to be. Wood burner, music, tools, bikes, arg, arg, arg. And when the asshole magnet is open (garage door) they all show up. LOL All of us now call our garage doors asshole magnets because a wife of one of our friends called us all assholes one day and I said, Well, hell the garage door was open.

I've confessed before that I ain't no mechanic but I've got work to do on my '98 FXDWG. I'm pretty sure it's the crank out of balance that's causing the vibration. I've checked and replaced everything external (everything) that could even remotely cause the vibe. Some have suggested flywheels but that's very unlikely with the EVO motor given the strength of assembly; it's viewed to be one of the strongest assemblies ever. But there is something and it is internal. I should really get cracking on removing the engine.

So Scot, ya haven't found the problem yet?

Peace
  • February 21, 2012 5:01 AM PST
    Did you replace the motor mounts?
    • 1855 posts
    February 21, 2012 5:30 AM PST
    Black9 wrote...
    Did you replace the motor mounts?

Come on now Black9!!! I'm no mechanic because I don't want to be. 

Here's what I've done before I determined it was internal.

First actually was the isolators; front and rear motor mounts.  I actually had to do that twice because I got a bad rear mount from the factory.  (imagine that)
    Replaced The top engine mount
    Replaced The swingarm bushing/bearings
    Replaced The fork tube springs
    Replace The neck bearing
    Replaced The brake rotors (thinking I might have a warped rotor)
    Replaced Tank mounting hardware/grommets/etc
    Replaced Exhaust mounts
    Powdered and Black-lighted the frame lookin' for cracks
    Checked the transmission bolts

Now, I replaced these things each time the other thing didn't fix the problem.  I can't think of anything else to do.  One guy actually told me that because the new polymers don't absorb as much energy as the old epdm-type material that I"m going to feel more vibration than I did before.  He said that I basically have a new bike after replacing all those bearings and bushings, etc.   My thought?   He's full of it.  I've ridden that motorcycle across country at least 1/2 dozen times.   I KNOW there's something wrong.  And to tell me there isn't is just a frkn insult.

I then went out in search of anyone who had a '98.  He let me take it for a ride.  It didn't have as many miles as mine but still, it didn't have that vibration. It was as I remembered my bike to have been.  Even though I have a new SB, I really love my wideglide.  The reality though is that it's gonna cost some $$$ to split those cases and take care of the crank.  And then you can't stop there, right?  That would be stupid not to consider re-working the cylinders, valves, cleaning up the pistons, new rings, yada yada.  I don't have the tools to do all of that and I don't know anyone who's going to do all that work for free or next to nothing.

Sell it?  It would break my heart but it's something I've considered since I don't have the $$$ to fix it and I sure hate to see sit in the back corner of the shed.

Peace

• February 21, 2012 5:39 AM PST
    Wow, you went to town on that bad boy... and you could be right, when those flywheels fall outta true it makes for some uncomfortable riding... not to mention what its doing to your valve train. If it were me and you wanted to keep it pull the motor and send it back to Harley and let them remanufacture the motor, best $2,500 to have a brand new, ready to hotrod, stock motor! :-)
    • 1855 posts
    February 21, 2012 6:13 AM PST
    Yep I know. I've done alot. And still I get comments that there's nothing wrong with the bike. One dealer shrugs his shoulders and claims he finds nothing wrong. Another shakes his head and $$ signs come up. Remanufacture does sound like the most viable thing to do. But, it's so damn hard to justify such a cash flow because I'm sentimental. I have a new motorcycle but I've nearly always had two motorcycles in my garage (even when I didn't have a pot to piss in)and you can bet that's come in handy at times. Sounds a bit selfish doesn't it! The OL would go along with whatever I decide but I'm really sensing she's not too keen on the idea of taking $$ we could use to travel and put it in the wideglide. I've got to talk myself either "into" it or "out of" it and I know which ever way I lean that I'm going to feel guilty as hell. In the meantime, when the weather breaks a bit I'll clean her up and put a "for sale" sign on her. (the bike not the OL). LOL But I ain't giving it away that's for sure.
    Thanks B9

Peace
  • February 21, 2012 6:21 AM PST
    Yeah sucks to have to sell it man, I totally get that, I have hated selling any and all the bikes of my past and sometimes it IS a necessary evil and brings piece of mind. You could just let her site for a bit longer and wait for down the road and have the motor remanned? Just trying to keep you out of the regret department! :-)
    • 0 posts
    February 21, 2012 6:30 AM PST
    Jimmy old mate listen to Black..If you sell the bloody thing you'll be kickin yaself mate..We have all done the same thing in the past and regretted it.I look through my old photo's and shake my bloody head..If ya dont need the $$'s and have the room just hang onto the bloody thing til you can sort it...CHEERS BOOF
    • 1855 posts
    February 21, 2012 7:04 AM PST
    Thanks guys. Sometimes a dude needs a little help in putting things into perspective. I sold a 1969 SS Nova once and I've never forgiven myself.

Peace
    • 7 posts
    February 22, 2012 2:02 AM PST
    Wow! Miss a day, miss a lot... Can't catch up today...

@Jimmyacorn: I found the problem. I just haven't fixed it... completely. Worn/broken wires at the back of a molex connector under the seat - behind the batt. Repaired/re-pinned the worst. Being pressed for time and needing to wrap it up I (foolishly) figured I must have fixed it. I reassembled the bike and THEN I tested it - Doh!! No left turn signals. But hey! The right's are working now... Next weekend... I hope.
  • February 22, 2012 2:40 AM PST
    ScottSacCa wrote...
    Wow! Miss a day, miss a lot... Can't catch up today...

@Jimmyacorn: I found the problem. I just haven't fixed it... completely. Worn/broken wires at the back of a molex connector under the seat - behind the batt. Repaired/re-pinned the worst. Being pressed for time and needing to wrap it up I (foolishly) figured I must have fixed it. I reassembled the bike and THEN I tested it - Doh!! No left turn signals. But hey! The right's are working now... Next weekend... I hope.

You're getting there Scott!
  • February 22, 2012 4:01 AM PST

My Favourite Phrase is.....

"If It Aint Broke - FIX IT TILL IT IS!!!"

• February 22, 2012 4:07 AM PST
    Or, "Let's make better mistakes tomorrow..."
  • February 22, 2012 4:48 AM PST
    Or, "How comes we now have 3 washers, 1 bolt and 3 nuts over since this last rebuild?"

lol
    • 0 posts
    February 22, 2012 7:19 AM PST
    Y'ALL WANNA TRY CHANGING THE PLUGS IN THAT FRIGGIN BUELL...WHAT A PAIN IN THE BALLS THAT TURNED INTO..MIND YOU IT WAS FRIGGIN HOT IN THAT SHED AND I HAD TO DRINK 14 BEERS BEFORE THEY GOT WARM...CHEERS BOOF