Bikers and the trendy

• February 5, 2012 6:45 AM PST
    I have a very good friend of mine, Almost 65 now. Severe diabetes, Suffering the effects of agent orange nearly blind in one eye, he cant ride the way he used to and trailers his bike to Sturgis. Me, I doubt I could make the entire trip, due to reconstructive back surgery...but who would know that unless I told them? My point is, and like Tumbles said in an earlier post, about a women commenting on her bald head, Don't assume shit based on an outward appearance. We have no idea of what is going on in that dudes life. I appear to be the picture of health, I am not.

I am not saying those people are not out there, they are for sure. But you do not want others making assumptions about you based on what your riding or wearing, I know I don't. I have been on the short end of the stick of others judging me, by those that "think" they know me... and they were dead ass wrong. That's all I am saying friend...

• February 5, 2012 7:16 AM PST
    AGAIN... your last post has NOTHING to do with the original post... reality is based on perceptions and assumptions, but most times I have seen it over time that these people are more obvious than I thought, that was the reason for the post, not to judge just an observation, yes I made few specific examples doesn't mean I go around tagging people with an assumption, just more a broad scope of the people involved. No reason to get all bent out of shape because you're upset that someone might not agree with your, as I perceive it, self righteous indignation.

No one is judging YOU, certain that's not the purpose of this thread but if YOU want to make it all about you and your ilk so be it... mere observations on my end.
  • February 5, 2012 7:39 AM PST
    WOW... It has everything to do with the original post... you used a very broad brush in speaking on the topic. I didn't say any one was judging me in this thread, and I can give two shits if they do.. . bent out of shape... nope not me. No reason to be.
    • 5420 posts
    February 5, 2012 8:13 AM PST
    Well I must say everyone is entitled to an opinion, and lets make sure we keep it to sharing our opinions and NOT jumping in others shit for sharing theirs.

I agree with Darlas last post that maybe some of the comments weren't all about the original post. I can see where some came from other posts like the "mid-luife crisis" statement, etc. Black shared his opinion of where he felt the industyry was going in general, and maybe took some of the other responses which were most likey in response to other replies a little personally.

Now for my opinion, if anyone cares Like a number of others said I couldn't give a rats a$$ about why others buy a bike of what they do with it. They can buy it because they think it makes 'em look cool, because they want a trophy, or because they want to tow it to 100 miles outside of Sturgis, or like me they can buy it for the pure love of riding. Still doesn't change who I am or why I ride what I ride so I guess I don't see why they need to be called a$$ holes, posers or put down in any fashion. Hell, they can do what ever they want with their money, I'm gonna spend mine on things I really love and want 'cause I don't have that much of it.
    • 0 posts
    February 5, 2012 8:24 AM PST
    Whiskey and Cigars Lucky?..I'll join ya for a whiskey one of these days mate..CHEERS BOOF
  • February 5, 2012 8:35 AM PST
    IEDarla wrote...
    I have a very good friend of mine, Almost 65 now. Severe diabetes, Suffering the effects of agent orange nearly blind in one eye, he cant ride the way he used to and trailers his bike to Sturgis. Me, I doubt I could make the entire trip, due to reconstructive back surgery...but who would know that unless I told them? My point is, and like Tumbles said in an earlier post, about a women commenting on her bald head, Don't assume shit based on an outward appearance. We have no idea of what is going on in that dudes life. I appear to be the picture of health, I am not.

I am not saying those people are not out there, they are for sure. But you do not want others making assumptions about you based on what your riding or wearing, I know I don't. I have been on the short end of the stick of others judging me, by those that "think" they know me... and they were dead ass wrong. That's all I am saying friend...

I'm curious as to where in this response has anything to do with the orginal thread comment? I wasn't referring to the aged folks among us who were probably riding motorcycles before we were ever a thought in anyone's mind, they pioneered motorcycling and again are part of the crowd that just can't leave it alone, more power to them! I wasn't judging the infirmed or people that have back problems... again it is my observation that you took this thread as a way to communicate how thoughtless I was not to mention everyone, and therefore led you to read between the lines and some how provide me with a life lesson to be compasionate and understanding to those I never even mentioned. There was no reason to mention everyone, the post wasn't aimed at everyone. I freely admitted that it was a broad brush I used to show examples from the content I provided to make a few points on the subject at hand, not twist it into something it is not.

I wasn't asking that everyone agree I was more interested in what others thought about the matter at hand, not to start a disagreement and have others jump on some band wagon that has or had nothing to do with what was written.

Nuff said, I promise this is my last comment on this, my own thread!

• 2 posts
    February 7, 2012 1:35 PM PST
    Well, a lot of strong opinions on this thread for sure.

IMO, I'm going to have to agree with Black9. I didn't get the feeling that he was attacking new, inexperienced or infrequent riders. It seems that his comments were directed more towards people who start riding foe the "wrong" reasons.

Until recently I lived in the NYC area. In that area there is no shortage of infrequent riders. The weather, traffic and a host of other reasons make it impractical and sometimes, unenjoyable to ride for many people. Therefore, biker bars, hang outs, events, etc... were few and far between. The community however was very tight and people who rode, infrequently or obsessively would, over time, get to know each other.

Then there were the other people. They would buy a bike (harley, honda or hyabusa) get decked out in dealer gear and usually start bragging about things they hadn't done, as well as, spin tales that appeared, well, unlikely considering their clear (to experienced riders) lack of skill.

Now, these people should not be confused with everyone who starts riding (young or old, rich or poor). New or inexperienced riders were welcome for the most part, with one caveat, they acknowledged the fact that their were socializing with more experienced riders, who can offer them valuable advice.

A"poser" is someone who pretends to be something their not. If you acknowledge that someone who has more experience and is offering helpful advice, is trying to help you, you are not a poser. If you understand your limits and don't ride above your skill level, you are not a poser. If you ride occasionally and enjoy it for the recreation and don't pretend to be a hardcore rider, you are not a poser. However if you represent yourself as something you are not, then you are a poser.

I recently moved to Phoenix, Az. There are a lot more riders here. The community is much larger and "biker" bars are everywhere. Events occur all year long and, to be honest, it's a little overwhelming. I used to not give much thought to "posers". I actually found their tall tales and boasts amusing, but here it's different. I see a lot of people who are riding without every learning the proper skills. To make it worse, they are usually drinking. Many like to talk about the technical side of the machines they are riding with little to no knowledge about them besides what they have read somewhere. Usually, it doesn't bother me, but when I try to offer helpful advice they have the balls to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, it gets me kinda pissed. These people are posers.

IMO, It's o.k to ride at any frequency or to be inexperienced. It's just not o.k to be full of sh@t about.

• 58 posts
    February 7, 2012 3:50 PM PST
    Stbobber, methinks you just hit the proverbial nail.
  • February 7, 2012 3:59 PM PST
    STBobber... Now that I get... and couldn't agree more.
  • February 8, 2012 12:04 AM PST
    "Bad to the Bone" back patches for sale. $9.99
  • February 8, 2012 4:54 AM PST
    Don't really consider myself as a "Biker Girl" just a girl that owns a bike.......a very nice bike.

I have run in biker circles and lucky to survive without serious concequence but that was another world and a different person that I am today. I've been pretty hard core, have always dress in the "biker" fashion and always stood up for myself and fearlessly out spoken. I guess in a since I probably have more of a "biker" attitude and lifestyle just never really thought of me as a "Biker Girl".

My how I see things more clearly at times..........
  • February 8, 2012 6:04 AM PST
    All this poser talk reminds me of something that happened to me a few weeks ago.

I walked into a business networking meeting one day, wearing a Harley jacket. I also had my computer with me, and ever since I found a Harley diaper bag on sale for $20, I've been using that as my "briefcase". It even says "Live to Ride, Ride to Live" on it, and it really is supposed to be a diaper bag.

So, anyway, I be-bop in to this meeting, and I see a guy there that had been absent from this group long enough that I hadn't met him yet, but he was known among others present. I could tell from his boots and his belt buckle that he was a rider. But he kinda gave me that "look".

Now, the first thing I ever bought with an HD logo on it happened to be a bike, and since riding my own, I have acquired several shirts and jackets and boots and what not in my travels when I find a 50% off sale. I have also dressed like fender fluff at rallies, in boots with 4" heels that look damned impractical for riding. So, I have seen that look before. And to be honest, I probably looked at him the same way back, because, he was already IN the meeting, and I didn't see any other bikes parked outside that morning.

I didn't really talk to him much during the meeting itself, but once it ended, we happened to walk out to the parking lot at the same time. It was as I was stuffing my laptop into my saddlebag that he came over and admitted he thought I was a poser when I walked in wearing the jacket and carrying that bag.

So of course I asked him where HIS bike was, since he had the boots and belt buckle. LOL! We ended up chatting for several minutes swapping road stories.

I don't REALLY fault someone for trailering their bikes, I understand that sometimes there is a reason for it. I don't begrudge people for dressing the part...I have ridden wearing business attire, and been worried about what would happen to my skin if I went down in my silk slacks. And I know people that have bought brand new beautiful bikes and barely rode them, because after years of riding that last accident just nags at them every time they get on. There are a LOT of ways to LOOK like a poser, when you really aren't one at all. And if they really did buy a bike in order to try and fit in to some lifestyle they have only read about and thought it would be fun and exciting...well, good for them. They will either love it and soon find themselves immersed in it, or soon sell the bike to someone else who isn't able to afford a NEW one. Either way, it works for me!

Personally, if someone wants to think of me as a biker or as a poser, I don't really give a rat's hiney. Other people's label's don't mean much to me...but I do enjoy having fun with them!

• 1855 posts
    February 8, 2012 6:40 AM PST
    Like I said before, I don't think about 'em much. I can usually spot 'em but I'm inclined not bother. But I tell ya, I just have to draw the line when it comes to riding in flip flops!!!!!!! I mean, come on now.

Peace
  • February 8, 2012 7:59 AM PST
    The flip flop thing is hilarious... I wont even ride in shorts, but many of my gir friends do, I don't even own a pair that I would wear outside my house, much less on a bike...

Fefe, I often ride in Boots with heels, in the Winter they are one of my most comfy riding pairs, They are in sore needing of being resoled.
    • 0 posts
    February 8, 2012 8:11 AM PST
    We live in Queensland..Its bloody hot here..I see people riding in shorts and flip flops everyday...Makes me cringe..Cheers Boof
  • February 8, 2012 8:13 AM PST
    Most women's heels are not made for riding, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you go to your cobbler first and replace the hard plastic heel with a rubber one. Check the toe while you are at it, and make sure it has a good piece of grippy rubber on it, too.
  • February 8, 2012 9:09 AM PST
    Ahhh ... that was the beauty, they are slip resistant soles... Found them at Macy's of all places, wasn't what I bought them for, but what they turned into. Replacing the soles is gonna be 50.00 bucks and I only paid 90.00 for them on sale.. But I have had them about 8 years, so they have more than paid for themselves. I hate to give them up, nice square toe, sturdy heal... haven't found another pair like them.
  • February 8, 2012 10:02 AM PST
    LMAO! From post #1 to a discussion of Macy's womens high heel slip resistant boots! LOL
  • February 8, 2012 10:13 AM PST
    WWEJD you know how you dudes are..............
    have a great one "T"
    • 2 posts
    February 8, 2012 10:30 AM PST
     Not to change the subject from women in heels, am all in favor of that one, continue on ladies BUT

For at least some of us HD doesn't get it, they just don't get it - No fool, not a photo-shop, a brother Bueller got this from HD
  • February 8, 2012 1:03 PM PST
    99Savage wrote...
     Not to change the subject from women in heels, am all in favor of that one, continue on ladies BUT

For at least some of us HD doesn't get it, they just don't get it - No fool, not a photo-shop, a brother Bueller got this from HD

I guess they still have some Buell parts in inventory they want to move?

• 2 posts
    February 9, 2012 10:39 AM PST
    Fefe wrote...
    99Savage wrote...

Chrome? - Chrome!? - Buellers don't need no stinkin' chrome.

That's why we bought Buells not Sportsters. - Even the aftermarket parts are stainless not chrome.

Also might be one of the reasons HD stranded us, we think motorcycles exist to get around the corners faster than the cars not to make statements
  • February 9, 2012 11:11 AM PST
    @WWEJD What can I say..? I am a girl...
  • February 9, 2012 1:03 PM PST
    99Savage wrote...
    Fefe wrote...
    99Savage wrote...

Chrome? - Chrome!? - Buellers don't need no stinkin' chrome.

That's why we bought Buells not Sportsters. - Even the aftermarket parts are stainless not chrome.

Also might be one of the reasons HD stranded us, we think motorcycles exist to get around the corners faster than the cars not to make statements

I dunno...I am kinda tempted to put mini apes and fringed saddle bags on my Buell.

• February 9, 2012 1:30 PM PST
    trendy bikers. yea, nothing like rolling upon them, i always figured if your ride is as clean as it was the day it was born, and a person has owned it a while, then they spend more time polishing and are fair weather riders at best. thirty grand and thirty miles a biker doesn't make.