Ride to Alaska July 2012

• December 27, 2011 6:40 AM PST
    I'm planning on riding up the Alaska (Alcan) highway this July (2012). I did this alone in 2004, so I'm familiar with the highway. This time I'm trying to be sensible and looking for riding companions. Let me know if you want to go - post or send a message via this site.
    • 1855 posts
    December 28, 2011 2:45 AM PST
    Well that would mean I'd have to get to the west coast first, eh? So that'll take a few days from Ohio. And then more days to Alaska. And then more days back down to Washington or Oregon before I head home for another few days. So what do we have......mmmmmmm.........3 weeks plus in the wind? Sounds o.k. to me except for one thing: I just don't plan things well. I get on the bike and go. End up where I end up and then make my way back home via some other route. Kind of ironic this retirement thing; I'm free to ride anywhere I want at any time for as long as I want. Yet after all these years, sometimes there's just no place like home and I need to get back here to keep things up. Being a preventive maintenance type of guy applies to the homestead as well. And I'm a worrywort if I ain't on top of things ya know. And then there's the damn dog. I've had her for 11 years. There's absolutely noone to take care of her when we're gone so she goes into a kennel. I've been caged up a couple of times and I didn't like it. I start worrying about her after a week on the road. And no, she's not hitching a ride with me. LOL

Peace
    • 19040 posts
    December 28, 2011 3:13 AM PST
    That is on my list of rides, Rex has not been there yet. I probably won't be able this summer but keep this forum going.
  • December 28, 2011 8:39 AM PST
    When I road the Alaska Highway in 2004 a guy rolled into the motel I stayed at in Dawson Creek (mile 0). He was riding an ancient shovelhead with a sidecar. The sidecar was fully loaded with a set of tools, salmon fishing tackle and a big dog. As for the homestead...it will still be there when I get back.
  • January 2, 2012 4:04 PM PST
    Jimmy, your post is funny as hell....I'm a lot like that too! But I truly aspire to be like "Rex" !!!
    Rex, ya readin' this or what ....
    • 19040 posts
    January 3, 2012 5:52 AM PST
    Yeah Buddydog I am readin' it and thanks, it took me a while to get here.
    • 5420 posts
    January 3, 2012 5:59 AM PST
    On my list too, but Laura says absolutely no way os she going with me... more room on the back seat for supplies!!!
    • 0 posts
    January 3, 2012 8:11 AM PST
    I ran the Cassiar Hwy up to the Yukon Territory and back down the Alcan last summer and had a great time. Gas was never an issue and the people were all extremely friendly. If you are prepared for just about any kind of weather , you will be fine, and we only hit 1 gravel stretch about a mile long. Everything else was paved. Have fun!

I would volunteer to go, but it is already planned to go to San Diego and back on the PCH in August.
  • January 4, 2012 3:36 PM PST
    Come on folks help me out here. My Loved Ones insist I am too old and feeble to do the Alaska trip alone - even though I went up to Fairbanks and back alone in 2004.

Gary TJ: How is the Cassiar? Is it paved? Do you have to pack gas? (My bike has a range of about 180 miles).
  • January 4, 2012 5:33 PM PST
    Probably won't help much but I live up here!!! :-)
    • 1855 posts
    January 4, 2012 11:57 PM PST
    moozerider wrote...
    Probably won't help much but I live up here!!! :-)

Well there ya go folks.  We've got a place to hang our helmets!!!!!

Peace

• January 5, 2012 9:20 AM PST
    Tell Moozerider I'm on my way!!!
  • January 23, 2012 11:14 AM PST
    We are planning on riding to Alaska. We will ride to Washington and then put the scooters on a boat. (that's the plan anyway...) Going north of Anchorage to visit family. Make sure you take plenty of supplies... fix a flat... spare tube... air pump... etc.
  • January 24, 2012 7:55 AM PST
    scooters on a boat...fix a flat...air pump... what's all that for, the life raft?

Take a deck of cards - the marine highway boat is boooooring.
  • March 19, 2012 12:12 PM PDT
    Right... the life raft!I
    It will be 2,000 plus miles from our hacienda in Texas, to Washington State. We will go through Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Go west through Idaho and Washington. Put the scooters on a boat (with a raft)... lol. I have always wanted to see the glaciers and whales as well. On the way home we will ride back through Oregon, Cali, Arizona and N.M. (About 4 weeks) If I get bored... I will just dance...lol.You probably won't need those supplies though Bob. No worries.
    • 823 posts
    March 19, 2012 2:01 PM PDT
    dammit I wanna go......... Got a 3000 mile trip planned in may, just applied for deer and elk hunts, got a trip to NYC planned for the holidays (flying - family thing) I need more time and money!!
  • March 19, 2012 2:22 PM PDT
    This reminds me of a book I read years ago, The book was Ghost Rider by Neil Peart from the band Rush'. It's about the ride he takes from Quebeq to Alaska after the death of his wife and child. I remember it being a good read.
    as far as going I would love to, But can't afford it this year.
  • June 3, 2012 3:26 PM PDT
    I'd go...wish I could this year, but I'm head'n east on my 2 weeks off in August. Too bad I didn't see this post 6 months ago.
  • June 3, 2012 4:25 PM PDT
    I can't this year, but that sounds like a dream trip from South Arkansas :-)