NASCAR - "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines"

• 5420 posts
    September 8, 2013 5:09 PM PDT
    My mistake it was Rusty announcing who said it... Not sure why I said Michael

Once they are out of the car I get them all mixed up!!!!
    • 16834 posts
    September 8, 2013 5:21 PM PDT
    Rusty was who I rooted for until he retired so I can distinguish him from the others. :-)
    • 57 posts
    September 9, 2013 12:39 AM PDT
    This morning on local NBC network news anchor reported Nascar looking into teams deliberately altering outcome of finishing order of Sundays race, don't think anything will come of it,other teams have attempted to do this in the past,maybe another rule change in the future
    • 5420 posts
    September 9, 2013 1:39 AM PDT
    They need to do something, but it will be tough to enforce. First you have to prove that the driver intentionally spun out or cut someone off or what ever the case. That is tough to do from only seeing the car reaction. The only reason that Bowyers incident was so obvious was from the in-car camera shot and you can't only police the drivers who are good enough to have the in-car sponsored cameras.

Does NASCAR install camera in all cars just to police the drivers?
    • 16834 posts
    September 9, 2013 4:33 AM PDT
    I know that all the cars had roof cameras whether used or not due to an aerodynamics issue.
    Inside, I don't know.
    • 57 posts
    September 9, 2013 2:08 PM PDT
    Wow I dont believe the penalties handed down today.Truex out Newman in
    • 16834 posts
    September 9, 2013 4:43 PM PDT

Huge penalties result in change in Chase field

Related: Official NASCAR statement | Newman in Chase | SHR statement | MWR statement

CONCORD, N.C. -- Ryan Newman is in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, and Martin Truex Jr. is out after NASCAR penalties reconfigured the playoff field in the wake of what the sanctioning body deemed manipulation of Saturday night’s regular-season finale by Michael Waltrip Racing.

As a result, NASCAR docked all three MWR drivers --
    Clint Bowyer, Brian Vickers and Truex -- 50 owner and driver points apiece, implementing the penalty before points were reset for the Chase. The amended standings knock Truex out of the second and final Wild Card position in favor of Newman, who was leading with seven laps remaining at Richmond International Raceway before a series of events involving the MWR teams played a significant role in altering the outcome.

“It is our determination that the MWR organization attempted to manipulate the outcome of the race,” said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR’s vice president for competition. “As the sport’s sanctioning body, it is our responsibility to ensure there is a fair and level playing field for all of our competitors and this action today reflects out commitment to that.”

In addition to the points penalties, MWR was also fined $300,000 -- what series president Mike Helton called “the most major fine in our history in terms of a dollar amount” -- and Ty Norris, the organization’s executive vice president and Vickers’ spotter, was suspended indefinitely. The team’s three crew chiefs, Brian Pattie (Bowyer), Chad Johnston (Truex) and Scott Miller (Vickers), were all placed on probation through Dec. 31.

Waltrip said Monday night in a statement that he would not appeal the ruling. The Chase begins Sunday at
    Chicagoland Speedway.

“This naturally is a very significant reaction from NASCAR,” Helton said. “As multiple car owners have become a very positive, integral part of this sport, that also comes with the responsibility from NASCAR and also the car owners to maintain a fair and level playing field. We’ve talked about what-ifs over the years, particularly since the Chase was established, particularly with the evolution of multiple-car teams. And we’ve been very fortunate that we’ve not had any occurrences that required NASCAR to step up … as we’ve had to do today.”

Bowyer’s spin with seven laps remaining at Richmond set off a chain of events that directly impacted who qualified for the 12-driver postseason field.

Additionally, Vickers’ unscheduled pit stop in the late going allowed
    Joey Logano to gain a position, helping him race his way into the top 10 in points. Logano edged Jeff Gordon for the final spot based on the standings, and freed up a Wild Card spot which went to Truex.

At the point of Bowyer’s lazy slide off Turn 4, Newman led the race and was poised to grab one of the two Wild Card berths if he could capitalize for his second victory of the season -- which would have denied one-win Truex the opportunity to snag a Wild Card spot. But Bowyer’s spin brought out a deciding final caution, and a sluggish pit stop by Newman’s No. 39 team allowed
    Carl Edwards to leave pit road first and pull away to the checkered flag on the final restart with three laps remaining.

A review of in-car audio later revealed Bowyer hearing from spotter Brett Griffin that Newman was leading, then comments from crew chief Brian Pattie, saying, “Is your arm starting to hurt? I bet it's getting hot in there. Itch it.” Half a lap later, Bowyer’s No. 15 Toyota spun to force the final caution period. Bowyer had clinched his berth in the Chase three weeks earlier at
    Bristol Motor Speedway.

“My car was tight as hell,” Bowyer said after the race when asked about the team radio communications. “(Jimmie Johnson) blew a tire and hit the wall. I'm telling you, I was the next one. That thing slid, what, maybe less than 10 feet and blew out. You know what I mean? Something was going on there. I've been doing this a long time. It is what it is. It's unfortunate. I know it's a lot of fun for you guys to write a lot of wacky things. Go ahead if you want to, get creative. But don't look too much into it.”

Dale Earnhardt Jr., running behind Bowyer when the incident occurred, saw things differently.

“Looked a little intentional to me there, bud,” he told crew chief Steve Letarte over the radio. “… He was on the brakes in the middle of the corner trying to spin it out, trying to slow down. He was like stopping, trying to slow it down so he could spin it out without really getting in trouble.”

In the immediate aftermath Saturday night, Helton said, there was nothing in the race that seemed to warrant a reaction from NASCAR. It was early Sunday morning when officials realized something else might have been afoot, and NASCAR began collecting audio and video from ESPN’s coverage as well as timing and scoring data.

NASCAR spent Monday reviewing evidence, and met with MWR executives at the Research and Development Center before levying one of the harsher fines in the sport’s history.

A central character in all this, Bowyer, remains the eighth seed in the Chase despite the 50 points deducted before the standings were reset. That didn’t sit well with Gordon, who was also directly impacted by the late-race actions of the MWR drivers Saturday night.

“The guy who started all this not affected at all?” the four-time champion posted via Twitter.

Helton said the penalty was assessed to the MWR team as a whole.

“The reaction by NASCAR is to Michael Waltrip Racing, and to every team in his organization,” he said. “… Cars spin out. We have cautions. There are a lot of things that happen on the race track, people speculate on why it happened or how it happened. Sometimes there is conclusive evidence. More often then not, though, you don’t know exactly what happened. But the collection of evidence from Saturday night led us to a team-wide reaction rather than an individual car.”

Helton said there was no indication that Bowyer’s spin Saturday night was intentional, and that the most damning piece of evidence in NASCAR’s eyes was the radio communication between Norris and Vickers -- in which the driver of the No. 55 car seemed surprised at a sudden and unforeseen instruction to pit.

“That was the most clear piece of what we found,” Helton said, “looking through all the detail that led us to make the conclusion.”

In a statement released Monday night, Waltrip said Norris acted alone -- notwithstanding the suspect conversations occurring over Bowyer’s radio channel before the No. 15 car went around.

“What occurred on the No. 55 radio at the end of Saturday night’s race in Richmond was a split-second decision made by team spotter Ty Norris to bring the No. 55 to pit lane and help a teammate earn a place in the Chase,” Waltrip said. “We regret the decision and its impact. We apologize to NASCAR, our fellow competitors, partners and fans who were disappointed in our actions. We will learn from this and move on. As general manager, Ty Norris has been an integral part of Michael Waltrip Racing since its founding and has my and (co-owner) Rob Kauffman’s full support.”

The verdict by NASCAR places Newman --
    who earlier Monday was introduced as the new driver of Richard Childress Racing’s No. 31 car for next season -- in the Chase as the 12th seed in his final year with Stewart-Haas Racing.

“We commend the sanctioning body for taking the time to do the necessary due diligence to ensure that the right call was made,” team owner Tony Stewart said.

The ruling did not impact Gordon, who is still left two points short of a playoff berth.

“We react to what occurred,” Helton said when asked about Gordon. “We don’t react to the ripple effect of an occurrence, because I don’t think there’s any way we can reasonably do that.”

As a result, the Chase will open this weekend with Newman -- who is in the playoff for the fifth time in his career -- and without Truex, who due to the penalty will be left to compete not for the championship, but for 13th place.

“It’s difficult,” Helton said. “It was a tough conversation with Michael Waltrip Racing and its members. It was difficult as a conversation internally, because we all wanted to make sure we made the right steps and did the right things. But we’ll all go to Chicago, we’ll practice, we’ll qualify, we’ll race, and we’ll get through this.”

• 5420 posts
    September 10, 2013 2:12 AM PDT
    Wow! Nice to see NASCAR grow a pair and do the right thing. Like they said it doesn't and can't fix all of the ripple effect things that happened and that is disappointing for some of the drivers. But I do think it sends a clear message that some of the goings on lately will not be tolerated going forward.
    • 16834 posts
    September 10, 2013 5:27 AM PDT
    My personal opinion is NASCAR should take Bowyer out of the "chase" and put Gordon in.
    I never ever thought I'd stick up for Gordon, but this stinks.
    • 5420 posts
    September 10, 2013 5:55 AM PDT
    Good point Any other sport would result in suspension and if the suspension comes during play-offs, so be it.
    • 16834 posts
    September 11, 2013 5:57 AM PDT

Sponsor NAPA upset with Michael Waltrip Racing, Clint Bowyer spin

Company re-evaluating its relationship with Martin Truex Jr. team

NAPA, Martin Truex Jr.’s sponsor, issued a terse statement Wednesday saying it is disappointed in Michael Waltrip Racing’s “significant error in judgment” in trying to manipulate the outcome of Saturday’s race at Richmond to get Truex into the Chase.

The auto parts chain, which has sponsored Waltrip for several years, also said it is evaluating the future of its sponsorship and relationship with the organization.

Truex, who drives the Napa-sponsored No. 56 car, finished seventh at Richmond, initially earning the final wild-card spot into the Chase for the Sprint Cup. But Truex gained the spot when teammate Clint Bowyer spun out with seven laps remaining in the race, bringing out a caution flag that cost Ryan Newman the win and prevented him from beating Truex for the final Chase spot.

Radio transmissions from Bowyer’s in-car radio led many to believe that Bowyer spun out intentionally to bring out the caution and prevent Newman from winning, which would have knocked Truex out of the Chase. Additionally, teammate Brian Vickers was instructed to pit just before the race went back to green, allowing Truex to gain another position on the track.

NASCAR came down hard on Truex and the organization Monday, penalizing both Truex and Bowyer 50 points each and knocking Truex out of the Chase. Newman was awarded the final Chase spot.

MWR also was fined a record $300,000 and MRW Executive Vice President Ty Norris was suspended indefinitely.

NAPA’s statement, which was posted on its Facebook page Wednesday morning, said the sponsor is concerned about the organization’s actions during the Richmond race.

“The actions taken by Michael Waltrip’s Racing team this past weekend leading to the penalties assessed by NASCAR, are very concerning,” the statement read. “We are disappointed that a partner associated with our organization would make such a significant error in judgment.

“In addition, we have launched our own review to determine the future of our partnership with Michael Waltrip’s Racing team. The NAPA AUTO PARTS organization is proud of its long-standing NASCAR relationship. We share a passion with our customers for high quality racing and seek to determine the best course of action for our customers, NASCAR fans, and the NAPA organization.”

Michael Waltrip has been sponsored by NAPA since 2001, when he won the Daytona 500 for Dale Earnhardt Inc. The company followed Waltrip when he started his own Sprint Cup team in 2007. It signed a three-year contract extension last year to continue sponsoring Truex and the No. 56 team.

The company uses both Waltrip and Truex in marketing campaigns, including popular commercials around its “NAPA Know How” campaign.

Waltrip issued a statement after the penalties came down Monday explaining why Vickers was told to pit but ignoring the Bowyer spin.

“What occurred on the No. 55 radio at the end of Saturday night’s race in Richmond was a split-second decision made by team spotter Ty Norris to bring the No. 55 (Vickers) to pit lane and help a teammate earn a place in the Chase,” Waltrip said. “We regret the decision and its impact. We apologize to NASCAR, our fellow competitors, partners and fans who were disappointed in our actions.

“We will learn from this and move on. As general manager, Ty Norris has been an integral part of Michael Waltrip Racing since its founding and has my and (co-owner) Rob Kauffman’s full support.”

Bowyer called Newman to apologize for the incident and addressed it on ESPN’s SportsCenter but has not admitted that he spun intentionally to bring out a caution flag. He denied spinning on purpose after the race.

“No, no, no,” Bowyer said when asked if he spun on purpose. “Let’s not dig too much into this. I’ve dealt with that the last couple (of days). There are a lot of opinions and a lot of things that happened.”

When asked what he was apologizing for, Bowyer said:

“It was a bad deal, and a bad deal all the away around. For MWR, we’ve been penalized for this, we stand by our actions, we own up to them and we’re going to get through this together.”

Waltrip, a TV analyst for Fox Sports, said he wouldn’t have done anything differently.

“You saw the video, you heard the audio, I stand behind my driver,” Waltrip said. “NASCAR looked at the situation. They didn’t think he spun on purpose, so I have no reason to believe that that’s the case.

Waltrip said there was no master plan to manipulate the finish of the race.

“It’s so hurtful when people that you respect and you know in the industry are so mean,” Waltrip said. “People that know me know that I take this stuff personally. … It’s been hard. I just hate people questioning who I am.”

MWR sponsors 5-Hour Energy and Aaron's also released statements on the incident and MWR penalties.

"We respect NASCAR's penalties against MWR & are addressing our sponsorship relations internally. We appreciate your understanding & patience," said a statement from 5-Hour Energy, which sponsors Bowyer.

Aaron’s posted a statement on its Facebook page in response to criticism:

“Aaron’s appreciates your concern about Richmond’s race and your loyalty to NASCAR. We respect the decision NASCAR made today and do not condone any practices that violate NASCAR rules,” the statement read.

• 57 posts
    September 11, 2013 7:00 AM PDT
    Wow I luv it,that would be Great to see the sponsors end all dealings with MWR,There's only one thing worse than a cheater and thats a STUPID cheater,they made it so obvious.Bet that costs them a little more than 300k.Personally don't think Nascar went far enough
    • 57 posts
    September 13, 2013 9:17 AM PDT
    LMAO,wow whats next 13 cars in the Chase Gordon is in now
    • 5420 posts
    September 13, 2013 10:01 AM PDT
    Wow, just read that...

NASCAR added Jeff Gordon to the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship field Friday, a stunning and unprecedented step in the fallout from at least two attempts to manipulate the results of the regular season-ending race at Richmond last weekend.

Chairman Brian France expanded the field to 13 drivers for the first time since the format was implemented in 2004.

Front Row Motorsports appeared to ask for a deal from Penske Racing in the closing laps at Richmond as part of an apparent request from Penske to give Joey Logano pivotal track position he needed to earn a spot in the Chase. Logano passed Front Row driver David Gilliland, who then seemed to slow down by at least 1 mph, according to an Associated Press review of radio communications and data.

France said NASCAR could not determine there was a bargain between Front Row and Penske, but still believed the move was necessary to protect the "integrity" of the series. He said both teams had been placed on probation for the rest of the season.

"Too many things altered the event and gave an unfair disadvantage to Jeff and his team," France said. "More than anything it's just the right thing to do. There were just too many things that went on Saturday night."

Gordon, the four-time champion, now joins Hendrick Motorsports teammates Jimmie Johnson, the five-time champion, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Kasey Kahne in the Chase.

"Wow we just gained 1250 points!" Gordon tweeted shortly after the announcement. "Very appreciative of @NASCAR consideration on this matter as well as fans overwhelming support."

Gordon goes into the Chase as the 13th seed, 15 points behind leader Matt Kenseth when the 10-race series begins Sunday at Chicagoland Speedway.

Owner Rick Hendrick agreed was pleased with the ruling.

"I applaud NASCAR for taking the time for a full review," he said in a statement. "We're extremely proud to have all four cars in the Chase for the second consecutive season. Jeff and the No. 24 team earned this spot."

Trading favors on and off the track is common in NASCAR, but the series had to investigate the Penske and Front Row bargaining allegation following the embarrassment of Michael Waltrip Racing's attempt to manipulate the outcome of the race to benefit Martin Truex Jr. NASCAR on Monday punished the MWR organization for its shenanigans over the final seven laps and pulled Truex out of the Chase in favor of Ryan Newman.

NASCAR will hold a mandatory team and driver meeting Saturday to clarify "the rules of the road" moving forward. France would not specify what won't be tolerated going forward.

"Obviously we drew a line with the penalties with Michael Waltrip Racing," France said. "We're going to make sure that we have the right rules going forward, so that the integrity of the competitive landscape of the events are not altered in a way or manipulated."

The entire mess began a mere seven laps from the finish Saturday night with Newman en route to a victory that would have given him the final spot in the Chase. MWR driver Clint Bowyer spun, bringing out a caution and setting in motion a chain of events that cost Newman the win and a Chase berth.

It also cost Gordon a Chase berth and put Truex and Logano into the final two spots.

It later became clear that Bowyer's spin was deliberate — although NASCAR has said it can't prove that — and that Bowyer and teammate Brian Vickers allowed Logano to gain late finishing positions to bump Gordon out of the Chase to aid Truex.
    • 16834 posts
    September 13, 2013 3:35 PM PDT
    Good for Gordon.
    Front Row Motorsports, and Penske Racing should have known better.
    • 5420 posts
    November 17, 2013 3:16 AM PST
    Here we are at the last race of the year and it is really looking like Jimmy Johnson is gonna win another Chase! Not a complete run away with Matt Kenseth and Kevin Harvick about 30 points out. Jimmy would have to have a real bad day to not win it though. We will be at Sportys with Russ & Cindy watching the race and some football!
    • 16834 posts
    November 17, 2013 4:15 AM PST
    Probably no surprise, I'll be going for Matt Kenseth.

During the Nationwide race yesterday, am I alone or did the last yellow flag (should have been a red flag) seem suspicious to anybody else?
    • 1855 posts
    November 17, 2013 4:52 AM PST
    I'm pretty bored with the same drivers in the chase year after. I find it hard to believe that the other drivers aren't as talented. And it's just amazing that cars can go so many laps down. Oh some circumstances I understand but hell, why put 40 some cars in a race if more than half can't compete?
    • 16834 posts
    November 17, 2013 3:02 PM PST
    It took until the last race of his horribly rough season but Denny Hamlin won :-) !
    • 5420 posts
    November 18, 2013 12:37 AM PST
    Yeah, I was glad to see Denny take the win. Like you said it had been a rough season, but the win at the end will mean good things for next year.

Is getting a little boring watching Jimmy Johnson win so much, but even though he is not who I root for I've got to give him and his team a lot of credit. They are just so damn consistent... 1 DNF all year and really no bad races.
    • 16834 posts
    November 18, 2013 4:50 AM PST
    No doubt J.J. and company have it going, no fluke there.
    He started out with nothing and talent got him there.
    But the announcers ruin things by repeating his name, I counted 127 times during a race he was doing poorly in.
    • 5420 posts
    November 18, 2013 6:05 AM PST
      Well at least they stopped saying Danika's name so much!!! 
    • 1855 posts
    November 18, 2013 6:10 AM PST
    Lucky wrote...
      Well at least they stopped saying Danika's name so much!!! 

See?  That's what I mean.  If she can't drive or her team is crap why bother?
    • 16834 posts
    November 18, 2013 8:10 AM PST
    Maybe Danika will join Juan back in the Indy cars in a season or so.
    • 5420 posts
    November 18, 2013 9:49 AM PST
    Juan Pablo will not be missed on the NASCAR circuit by anyone I have ever talked to. Although Danika has some fans out there. I personally don't mind Danika racing, to me she is just another mid-level skill driver. I just got real tired of them showing her going around the track in 22nd place like it was something special.