NASCAR - "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines"

• 834 posts
    February 24, 2014 1:44 PM PST
    Same thing happened to me Lucky. Go home later than expected, turned on the race and watched quite a few laps before I read the message on the bottom of the screen telling me the race was in rain delay.

Glad to know I'm not the only one
    • 16795 posts
    February 24, 2014 3:22 PM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    Shows how little attention I pay to the drivers other than those I care about. I didn't know certain drivers were not running for points. I thought all drivers got points.

Thanks John.

For the last couple of years the drivers can only go for points in one series, you have to let NASCAR know before the season starts.

• 5419 posts
    March 13, 2014 1:17 AM PDT
    Heading to Bristol for some bumpin' & grindin'. Normally I like watching the race on the bigger tracks, except for this one. To me Bristol is one of the most fun races of the year to watch!
    • 16795 posts
    March 13, 2014 6:37 AM PDT
    Bristol is "the track" for excitement.
  • March 14, 2014 5:16 PM PDT
    My driver this year is #42 Kyle Larson, dirt track sprint car racer and a hell of a wheel man.
    • 16795 posts
    March 14, 2014 5:23 PM PDT

• 5419 posts
    March 16, 2014 4:50 AM PDT
    Damn rain in Bristol.  Race was scheduled to start at 9:30 here on the west coast so I got up early mowed the lawn and got all set to watch the race with a buddy... but no race yet.

I think Bristol would be an excellent track for them to race in the rain
    • 16795 posts
    March 16, 2014 5:34 AM PDT
    Here I was chomping at the bit, with Hamlin doing so well as opposed to last season.
    I hope this isn't like a season a few years ago when it seemed to rain ever other race.

Yes Bristol on rain tires! :-)
    • 16795 posts
    March 24, 2014 5:44 AM PDT
    RaceAngel wrote...
    My driver this year is #42 Kyle Larson, dirt track sprint car racer and a hell of a wheel man.

The kid has some mad skills.
    2nd in the cup race yesterday, 1st in the Nationwide Saturday.
    The last 20 laps of the Nationwide had to be some of the best racing I've seen in years.

• March 24, 2014 5:20 PM PDT
    Wow, three laps left, then suddenly flat tires everywhere. Then an exciting green-white-checkered finish. KB goes from 5th to 1st in a crazy restart.

I agree, Kyle Larson does look impressive.
    • 5419 posts
    March 25, 2014 2:42 AM PDT
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    RaceAngel wrote...

The kid has some mad skills.
    2nd in the cup race yesterday, 1st in the Nationwide Saturday.
    The last 20 laps of the Nationwide had to be some of the best racing I've seen in years.
      For 21 years old he is driving like a seasoned vet.  And he is a really good young man too...
    • 5419 posts
    March 25, 2014 2:44 AM PDT
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    Here I was chomping at the bit, with Hamlin doing so well as opposed to last season.
    I hope this isn't like a season a few years ago when it seemed to rain ever other race.

Damn John, don't be jinxing the series with the rain talk.  Looks like there is light rain in the forcast for Martinsville this weekend too!!!

• 16795 posts
    March 25, 2014 8:25 AM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...

Damn John, don't be jinxing the series with the rain talk.  Looks like there is light rain in the forcast for Martinsville this weekend too!!!

Well ya just never know.
    I hope Hamlin feels like racing this week.

• 16795 posts
    April 27, 2014 6:22 AM PDT
    Rain and NASCAR, maybe they could fit in some races in drought areas.
    It's too bad the Nationwide and Sprint Cup teams had to deal with dangerous tires again this weekend.
    Being forced to buy something that you know is not good and you don't want is insane.
    • 16795 posts
    April 30, 2014 3:33 PM PDT
    Warrior 50 is excited to announce their partnership with Jeffrey Earnhardt and JD Motorsports for the May 4, 2014 Aaron’s 312 NASCAR Nationwide Series race at Talladega Superspeedway.

Warrior 50 will be featured on the No. 4 Chevrolet Camaro as an associate sponsor to kick-off their Memorial Day campaign to raise awareness of and to educate all Americans of the importance to account for the soldiers who are still missing.

Jeffrey Earnhardt joined Warrior 50 as the official spokesman to help educate younger generations about our Prisoners of War and our Missing in Action (POW/MIA). “To us (my generation), past wars are something we learn about in school and are over. What we don’t realize is it is not over for over 100,000 families whose soldier has not come home.”

On May 25th, Warrior 50 will be hosting a Memorial Day Weekend event at the Ft. Washington Harley Davidson dealership to honor our veterans & raise awareness of and to educate all Americans of the importance to account for the soldiers who are still missing. The event will occur during the annual Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Demonstration with Jeffrey Earnhardt on site with the No.4 WARRIOR 50 Chevrolet Camaro show car to sign autographs, take pictures and talk to fans about racing to raise awareness of our Missing in Action (MIA).

We would like to thank all who have made personal contributions to Warrior 50 and who have supported our mission to speak for those who cannot speak on their own, our Missing In Action.

To donate to Warrior 50 or for more information how you can help, please visit www.warrior50.org or email support@warrior50.org.
    Please direct comments and/or questions to:
    Tricia Milici
    support@warrior50.org
    • 1855 posts
    May 1, 2014 12:47 AM PDT
    It's nice to see that someone in NASCAR has come to the realization that their influence will be a powerful tool in the POW/MIA awareness program.

For years I've donated to one such program. It's been around for quite awhile and has been (until now apparently) the only POW/MIA organization which included all wars. http://www.nationalalliance.org/ One thing we all have to be aware of is how donations to such organizations are spent. Obviously an "awareness" organization that works will have a large financial burden, i.e., the expense of truly reaching out to the public, acquiring documentation, lobbying Congress to act, etc. It's one thing we have to keep in mind when donating to such organizations.

I've struggled for years on where and how to donate to particular causes and I still don't know if any of the decisions I've made are the right ones. While I believe many are legitimate, I can't give to them all and I can't suggest that one is better than the other. I decided on Wounded Warriors and the National Alliance of Families. To me, despite their overhead, they walk in the footsteps of our heroes.

I sure hope Warrior 50 is successful in educating the younger folks and cause them to see how important it is to remember and to care. Our school curriculums have come to ignore meaningful parts of American history when it comes to educating our children.

Peace
    • 16795 posts
    May 1, 2014 7:48 AM PDT
    Jimmyacorn wrote...

I sure hope Warrior 50 is successful in educating the younger folks and cause them to see how important it is to remember and to care. Our school curriculums have come to ignore meaningful parts of American history when it comes to educating our children.

You're right Jimmy
    I believe if I were now raising school age children I'd be home-schooling them.

• 5419 posts
    May 1, 2014 1:26 PM PDT
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    It's too bad the Nationwide and Sprint Cup teams had to deal with dangerous tires again this weekend.
    Being forced to buy something that you know is not good and you don't want is insane.

See I told you a couple weeks back you were going to jinx it with your rain talk!!!

• 844 posts
    May 1, 2014 1:39 PM PDT
    Well it has been hot and dry over in DFW for a bit, but now that NASCAR is coming to Texas Speedway I see they have rain in the forecast for Wed - Fri (that's as far as the forecast showed)
    • 16795 posts
    May 1, 2014 3:14 PM PDT
    Lucky wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...

See I told you a couple weeks back you were going to jinx it with your rain talk!!!

I have had the anti-King Midas effect for years.

• 16795 posts
    May 4, 2014 12:59 PM PDT

• 5419 posts
    May 5, 2014 3:56 AM PDT
    Go Denny Go!!!
    • 16795 posts
    May 5, 2014 5:16 AM PDT
    Yes!
    I wasn't sure what was going to happen with Hamlin having to save gas.
    When he got the white flag before the yellow came out I was more than relieved. :-)
    • 16795 posts
    July 30, 2014 12:40 PM PDT
    PFBC, Pocono Raceway to Give Away Ultimate Angler Kayak

HARRISBURG, Pa. (July 30) – The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) has partnered with several sponsoring organizations to outfit a state-of-the-art fishing kayak, which will be awarded to one lucky winner who enters the contest at this weekend’s NASCAR GoBowling.com 400 at Pocono Raceway.

“This is another opportunity for us to partner with NASCAR and to promote fishing and boating opportunities to outdoor enthusiasts,” said PFBC Marketing Coordinator Steve Kralik. “It also gives us a chance to remind people that there’s still a lot of good fishing available during the long days of summer.”

“We particularly want to thank the sponsors for donating this equipment,” he added. “One lucky individual is going to be ecstatic when they see the equipment they have won and they will absolutely enjoy paddling in this kayak.”

The kayak, a Ride 115X Advanced Angler, is being donated by Wilderness Systems, and an Odyssey glass paddle is being provided by Adventure Technology. Rigging items totaling more than $500 in value are being donated by YakAttack. Items include a fish finder mount, safety flag/light, three rod holders, self-leveling drink holder and a storage system called a “BlackPak.” Also, a Bahia Tour life jacket is being provide by Kokatat.

Visitors to the Aug. 1-3 races can stop by the PFBC’s expo booth in the “Fan Fair” area and sign up for the drawing. No purchase is necessary.

The winner will be notified after August 18. A date, time and location for the winner to pick up the kayak will be determined in the weeks after the winner is notified.

###

Media Contact – Eric Levis, Press Secretary
    717.705.7806 or elevis@pa.gov
    • 5419 posts
    August 10, 2014 5:42 AM PDT
    Wow, a real tragedy last night with driver Kevin Ward Jr., age 20 being killed after being hit by Tony Stewart at the Empire Super Sprints series event at the Canandaigua Motorsports Park. Stewart and Ward were involved in a little bumping on the track that cause Ward to hit the wall and wind up with a flat tire. Ward got out of his car and walked on the track to give Stewart a piece of his mind as he passed on the next yellow flag lap.

What happen next is up for interpretation. As Stewart went by his car swerved and hit Ward sending him flying to his death. Some say Stewart appears to have been trying to scare him, maybe revving the engine to kick dirt on him and the car swerved more that he anticipated. Others say he was trying to swerve to avoid Ward. From the YouTube video I saw it is really hard to tell. And of course the question also comes up as to why Ward would walk out in the middle of a dirt race track to give Stewart hell. Everyone knows these cars slide around on those tracks even at yellow flag speed.

Either way - even though Tony is known to be a "hot head" - I am sure he did not intend to hit a man on the race track and he now has to live with this the rest of his life.