Share Your Riding and Safety Tips

• November 28, 2011 4:39 AM PST
    I learned this one the hard way the first couple of weeks I had my first street bike: Most motorcycles have the power and agility to get from point A to point B much faster than a car or other vehicle. If you pull on to the street from a driveway or alley, or change lanes from behind a car or big truck, and tag the gas you can be on top of someone down the road in the blink of an eye. Maybe you weren't visible to them when they looked and started their move but you got there in a hurry.Or you got there way faster than they expected. Always anticipate what's going on ahead of the cars in front of you.
    • 0 posts
    November 29, 2011 8:18 AM PST
    One thing I learned early in the motorcycle course was to use the clutch and the rear brake at the same time for slow speed maneuvering. If you feel you are leaning too far apply more rear brake while still slipping the clutch. If you need to lean more, let off the rear brake a little.
    Use the opposing forces together and the rear brake will always stand you up. No need to try and balance the bike yourself.
  • November 29, 2011 12:21 PM PST
    Didn't know that one I'll have to try it out. Is that the kind of stuff they teach in a motorcycle safety course.  Maybe I ought to take one.
  • November 29, 2011 3:29 PM PST
    Gary funny you should say that, I had to use that exact method last weekend on a very twisty road! Yup any time I find my self not making the corner I just tap the rear brake slip the clutch a little and no only to you stand up but you straighten right out... it WILL wake you up!:-)