Biker Swap Meets

• November 7, 2011 12:22 AM PST
    What is your most recent purchase from a biker swap meet, "motorcyle flea market"? I frequently go to rallyes and Biker events in and around Florida and look for parts etc. One of my favorites is the vendors at Webster west side flea market, ist sunday of each month. Yesterday I ran across a HD aluminium heel toe shifter, it was an impulse purchase, one of those things I rarely see in the swaps.
    • 5420 posts
    November 7, 2011 1:27 AM PST
    Haven't been in a while, but the last thing I bought was an old beat up Captain America helmet (from Easy Rider movie, not the cartoon). It was like $5 and I thought it would look cool hanging in the garage.
  • November 7, 2011 5:01 AM PST
    Bought a beat up Softail Frank Glide... basket case from hell would be more accurate, most of the parts bought for it had to be some idiot with a "V-Twin" catalog because NOTHING fit worth a damn and most of what was trying to be accomplished was a disaster waiting to happen. So I bought it for $4,000.00 parted it all out and made a shade under $7,000 parting it out! Wow, I'm like a Corporate VP to basket case bikes! LOL
    • 1855 posts
    November 7, 2011 7:59 AM PST
    Lucky wrote...
    Haven't been in a while, but the last thing I bought was an old beat up Captain America helmet (from Easy Rider movie, not the cartoon). It was like $5 and I thought it would look cool hanging in the garage.

I love my garage!!!!  Ain't it cool to have a story to tell about things hangin' in your garage? 

Peace

• November 9, 2011 10:17 AM PST
    Most of the swap meets around here have gone down hill,It's mostly all new stuff or the latest greatest gizzmo and crappy t shirts
  • November 9, 2011 10:20 AM PST
    Yeah the most recent swap meet I went to had nothing but commercial vendors... *YAWN* hit the road!
    • 5420 posts
    November 9, 2011 1:23 PM PST
    Know what ya mean Black, you can only look at the same chrome, leather and sterling silver so many times.

I like the ol' school swap meets where the guys come with boxes of boxes of stuff, and they don't even take it out... its up to you to dig through the boxes and find the treasure!!!
    • 567 posts
    November 9, 2011 1:57 PM PST
    13HD69USA1 wrote...
    What is your most recent purchase from a biker swap meet, "motorcyle flea market"? I frequently go to rallyes and Biker events in and around Florida and look for parts etc. One of my favorites is the vendors at Webster west side flea market, ist sunday of each month. Yesterday I ran across a HD aluminium heel toe shifter, it was an impulse purchase, one of those things I rarely see in the swaps.
    I've considered stopping by the Webster Swap Meet. But actually have never been to any of them. I was wondering if its really worth a day of browsing or do you go there with just something specific in mind?
  • November 18, 2011 2:23 PM PST
    Here in north Florida there is a swap meet the 3rd weekend of every month. It is at the Palatka fairgrounds. Thats about 40 miles NW inland from Daytona. The swap meet is huge and 95% Harley. I see some biker retirees from the far north with some beautiful untouched vintage runners.You can find just about anything for 10 cents on the dollar.They dont do August because of the heat.
    • 5420 posts
    November 18, 2011 3:08 PM PST
    SolarBill wrote...
    13HD69USA1 wrote...
    I've considered stopping by the Webster Swap Meet. But actually have never been to any of them. I was wondering if its really worth a day of browsing or do you go there with just something specific in mind?

Most of the time I go to the swap meet I don't know what I need until I see it...
    ...and then I don't know how I lived without it

• 16840 posts
    November 19, 2011 3:19 AM PST
    I have sold way more stuff at swap meets than I've ever bought.
    I'm more of a barterer and one who rummages through folks junk.
    Lucky for me folks scrapping keep me in mind if they have useable stuff before going to the scrap yard.
    • 7 posts
    November 19, 2011 3:33 AM PST
    Right mirror for my CB, $5.00 - elsewhere they were $20.