Anybody tried them bike stereos?

• November 6, 2011 2:52 PM PST
    I was looking at adding one of those Harley Boom Box's to my bike, was curious if anyone else has tried it out yet? I think the amp is a hair weak, 40 Watts? I know I can upgrade it but I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions of know of other companies that sell bike stereo stuff?

Thanks 
    • 19049 posts
    November 6, 2011 10:30 PM PST
    Read Lucky's review of one here...http://www.cyclefish.com/Lucky/blog/1352/ />
    There was a forum about this also...

I have the 'Harley' 40w system on Rex and it is fair. Looks good, installed easy, but is weak in power (as you mentioned). It does well at back road cruising speeds.
    • 1855 posts
    November 7, 2011 12:32 AM PST
    Just to fan the embers a bit but hopefully have a rational discussion.  A stereo on a motorcycle; 45+ years in the saddle and I still don't get it. My first thought is that riding next to a guy with his stereo blasting is annoying.  Most of what we hear is simply indiscernible.  My second thought is the safety issue, which I assume we all take rather seriously, along with freedom of choice.  The impaired hearing aspect of the stereo may not be so big an issue in states where a helmet is not mandatory, but in mandatory helmet states the idea of something being plugged into your helmet just so you can listen to music seems a tad risky to me. The premise behind "Loud Pipes Save Lives" is compromised if we, as bikers, don't do everything we can to have all of our senses in tune (pun intended) to our surroundings, which brings me to my next thought. But again, it is still freedom of choice.

Riding is a combination of and a battle between the cerebral and the sensual; continually challenging and always satisfying yet never allowing one to mask the other. Yes, FREEDOM is our choice but experience is our teacher. Unfortunately experience takes years, and in that regard we (riders) offer stories from our own experiences that may benefit the next rider.  Yeah, yeah, I know.....you may call "preaching"   if you must. But I assure you, from my perspective I hide behind no pulpit except freedom of choice.  3 years ago I lost my wife in a motorcycle accident when a drunk driver ran us off the road.  It's quite possible she would have lived had she been wearing a helmet.  But she was aware she may be compromising her safety for the sensual pleasures that come with riding. We both accepted that. I still ride without a helmet most of the time but that's my choice.  And the reason I do so is not because I'm a stubborn individualist but because if I choose to believe that "Loud Pipes Save Lives" my cerebral and my senses need not be masked by the sound barrier inherent in a helmet.  Even 3 years later I don't question our decision not to wear helmets.  I don't even think about the drunk who ran us off the road.  I see the accident everyday.  I see the path my motorcycle took off the road.  Though I don't see what I could've done to avoid that path, I feel that in 45+ years of riding I missed something and that I should've been able to ride to save her.  Her arms around me as we went off the road I felt no panic from her as if she knew I could do it.  And all I feel today and all I know is that I failed her; not the drunk, not the choice, but me. 

And so, with all of that being said and my propensity to wander somewhat aimlessly off topic, I think the joy of riding is masked by the sound of a stereo.

Peace

• November 7, 2011 3:50 AM PST
    Jimmy, thank you for the input my friend. I was considering a stereo for the long haul but after doing more research last night and realizing that this is going to change the entire dynamic of riding for me I have decided to forego the whole stereo thing. I have realized that I don't have the car stereo on much anymore so why would I waste money attaching one of these eyesores to my bike?
    I agree that I absolutely hate following people who have stereos and can't understand how they could possibly enjoy them from what I am hearing. I'm sure it's different once you ride one and I did once and remembered that I wasn't too terribly impressed by the whole experience.
    Safety being an issue, more buttons to monitor and if you're riding along and get a wild hair to change what you're listening to opens up a huge window for unforeseen danger and as we all know it takes less than a second for bad things to happen on a motorcycle!
    Rex thanks for the information but I made up my mind over the course of an evening that maybe I should just stick to the music in my head, plus when I ride, especially long distances I have a lot to work out in my head sometimes I find and most times I clear up a lot of issues in doing so. So many facets to riding and I've managed to keep myself somewhat safe I don't think I want to change that percentage when it comes to living and dying out there. Not that it any of us could stop accidents but we could at very least lesson the impact of accidents and not end up a statistic! Jim, preach on brother I was kicking this around last night a lot and you re-enforced my thought process on the matter.
    • 5420 posts
    November 7, 2011 3:58 AM PST
    You know I thought I was going to use mine for the long rides, but after I put it on I find I use it more for around town and once I hit the open road I prefer the sound of the engine and the wind... but I do sometimes turn it on on the open road just to change things up.

As for safety... It's just like anything else and the rider needs to be responsible and use it responsibly. No fumbling with stations in traffic, and don't play it (open speaker or earphone) so loud that you cannot hear what is going on around you.

Like Kimmy I always though I rode for years without one, why do I need one, but now that I have one I love it!

Never thought I would need my own computer either
  • November 7, 2011 4:58 AM PST
    Think I'll just save my money for a nice new set of cams, pushrods, pistons and head work! That is after all the best music to my ears!:-)
    • 19049 posts
    November 7, 2011 5:09 AM PST
    From my side of the coin, I have mine on almost all the time. I too have plenty of years only listening to the roar or drone of the pipes and I resisted for quite some time. A few years back I installed a set (not the ones I have now) for a serious road trip (13,000 miles - 48 states) and from then on have been listening to what music I want, mainly satellite and mp3. As for the safety concern, I would never put music inside my ears or helmet (I wear them only when forced) because I need the ambient sounds to complete the experience.

I liken it to watching a movie without a soundtrack, still enjoyable but missing a lot.
  • November 7, 2011 5:20 AM PST
    Funny thing is I have reoccurring songs that pop into my head when I'm riding. Desert Plains by Judas Priest, Hallowed Be Thy Name by Iron Maiden, Stillborn by Black Label Society and what do I do on the long trips as I'm tearing down the super slabs or back rounds... of course, I sing along to them as loud as I can! I can only imagine what other must think when I pass by! I think I'll stick with that!
    • 0 posts
    November 7, 2011 5:24 AM PST
    I agree with Lucky on this.
    I have one, but turn it off on the hwy's. But around town and the slower twisty's it is great. There is nothing better than hitting the curves with your lady riding behind and your favorite music playing softly. It just makes the world a peaceful place.
  • November 7, 2011 5:28 AM PST
    My problem is I don't do the soft music much at all LOL
  • November 7, 2011 5:40 AM PST
    Also one of the best songs that always comes to mind when I'm riding when I'm on 'The Trail to nowhere' is Headin out to the highway! Love that song!
  • November 7, 2011 6:52 AM PST
    Here is another option,  there is a guy here in Ecuador that makes saddles and these saddlebag stereo's. Im not sure what the power watts is in them but they sound really good. They really like their music loud here. I asked him if he could make them in black leather too and he smiled and said "si" . If any one is interested, let me know and I will track him down for you to get a price.
  • November 7, 2011 7:05 AM PST
    WOW! Those are bad ass!!! How much?
    • 1855 posts
    November 7, 2011 7:43 AM PST
    Black9 wrote...
    Think I'll just save my money for a nice new set of cams, pushrods, pistons and head work! That is after all the best music to my ears!:-)

Yeah, I gotta '98 FXDWG that suddenly roared out "split my cases".  Don't know if it's flywheels or if the crank is out of balance.  Either way, I gotta open her up.  So I too am saving for guts.  I mean, once she's open ya may as well do it all., eh?

And one more thing.  Thanks all for not crashing down on me or flaming me for my thoughts on a mc stereo.  It's just a thing ya know.  Ya'll are a fine bunch.  Glad I joined and wish I had found this place sooner.

Peace

• November 7, 2011 8:24 AM PST
    Black9 wrote about 1 hour ago
    WOW! Those are bad ass!!! How much?

Not sure, give me a couple days check into it and I will report back.
  • November 7, 2011 9:45 AM PST
    Roger, thanks!
    • 19049 posts
    November 8, 2011 12:07 AM PST
    Jimmyacorn wrote...
    Black9 wrote...

Yeah, I gotta '98 FXDWG that suddenly roared out "split my cases".  Don't know if it's flywheels or if the crank is out of balance.  Either way, I gotta open her up.  So I too am saving for guts.  I mean, once she's open ya may as well do it all., eh?

And one more thing.  Thanks all for not crashing down on me or flaming me for my thoughts on a mc stereo.  It's just a thing ya know.  Ya'll are a fine bunch.  Glad I joined and wish I had found this place sooner.

Peace

Crappy news on the internals, I too was thinking about upgrading to a dragon-fly fairing/stereo until I needed to replace the cam chain tensioners.

As always the people here respect differing opinions. Probably the main reason this is the best damned biker site on this here web thing...
  • November 8, 2011 1:41 AM PST
    Agreed Rex... I was on another board, a very BIG one and there were so many idiots I finally just the right amount of insensitive things that they banned me! LOL
    • 611 posts
    November 10, 2011 4:14 PM PST
    @Jimmyacorn... To loose your Lady... oh man, that's tough. Condolences to you for your loss... Don't know what else to say. damn... Thanx for sharing your opinion about the music while riding.
    Hey Black, great tunes/songs you mention in yer post. I also do not/would not put a stereo on my scoot. Just rode a 07 Street Glide (Dealer Loaner) and I tried the radio... Great sound, easy to tune/change channels but... I just tried it and turned it off. I really enjoyed the Sampson Short Shot pipes, the sounds around me... I'm just not used to music while riding. Always have a cd or radio going when I'm driving my cage. When I hit the road and have been riding for an hour or two... I swear I can start to hear stuff on the bike. When I rode a rigid w/chain drive, I could hear the chain... I swear! It was adjusted right but I could swear I heard it. A friend of mine has a small goat bell he was given by his lady. (He's an old goat so...) He swears he can just hear it above the pipes and wind.
    So, I don't think I'm EVER gonna put tunes on my bike... But I also said "I'll never ride behind a windshield!" and if ya look at Hildi... Yep! Geezer-Glide (EGlide) with handlebar-mount fairing. My baby brudder has a 99 Fatboy and he's always givin me sh*t about it... Aw hell, that's what B-Brudders are for ain't it?
    Anyway, Ride Enjoy the Road Sounds and Repeat as Necessary!
    Edge
  • November 11, 2011 1:51 AM PST
    I will, however, defer to the music in my head for future on the road entertainment!:-)
    • 834 posts
    November 17, 2011 3:07 AM PST
    I used to have a setup to play my iPod through speakers on the handlebars. Good amp and loud enough to hear on the road. the speakers were stolen and I haven't replaced them. I found I didn't use it as much as I thought I would
  • November 17, 2011 7:58 AM PST
    Edge I said the same thing about windshields and damn those last words I tell ya!!! LOL
    I am adjusting to the unique ways of how the wind shifts the bike around during those wind blown days and here in Central CA it's pretty much everyday especially when you're crossing the farms with them big flat fields.
    • 844 posts
    November 17, 2011 9:17 AM PST
    Just do like I do and sing while your riding. I tried whistling but that's hard to do with a 60 mph wind in your face.
  • November 18, 2011 1:58 AM PST
    LOL GoFur, I sing my ass off when I'm on a big stretch of the black stuff!