Gotta watch for Bambi and his friends

• October 28, 2011 10:57 AM PDT
    Yup! Two weeks ago on the way to work. Had slowed to 60 for a pickup on the shoulder. Not even time to react.
    A golden blur - my body flinched before I was aware - heard the fairing go crunch - thought "Lord, here we go..." - relaxed into a semi curl - no real fear, just concerned about ending my tumble in a traffic lane. Stopped on the median side rubble strip.
    Bike is totaled! I was walking around twenty minutes after it happened. Right leg is still pretty bruised up.
    Most everyone are still shaking their heads...

It can happen to anyone, any time, any where!
  • October 28, 2011 10:58 AM PDT
    Yeah, Manty is now salvage.

8^(
    • 5420 posts
    October 28, 2011 11:06 AM PDT
    Wow the bike took a real beating. Just glad to hear you were ok!
  • October 28, 2011 11:12 AM PDT
    You aint just a shittin. Hit my 2nd one in July. Lucky for me....not the damage you suffered. I was able to keep the bike vertical.....dumb luck, nothing more.

Good luck with that, man. Hope yer able to get another ride ASAP.

jb
  • October 28, 2011 11:59 AM PDT
    Bike looks sad but glad you are OK FOX
  • October 28, 2011 12:29 PM PDT
    Damn glad you're still with us bro, I had a deer jump out in front of me coming home from Sturgis a few years back... life didn't flash before my eyes, it was like you said: concern for landing in the line of traffic... anyway, sorry bout the bike, but they can be replaced you can't.
  • October 28, 2011 12:31 PM PDT
    Sorry bout your ride, but glad you are ok. I ride every day to work on a two lane blacktop thru the country to and from work. Head home around 12:30 am every night! Been real LUCKY several times with 5-6 deer crossing and somehow someway I would cruise between them. Talk about an adrenalin rush. The Good Lord watchin over me........Hope your on a new ride soon!
  • October 28, 2011 4:44 PM PDT
    That sux so glad your alright deer season in South Carolina starts in Sep and ends in January I wish it was year round to thin them out. I hope your back riding soon
    • 19049 posts
    October 29, 2011 2:07 AM PDT
    I am very glad you only had minor injuries. Sorry about the ride though but that is replaceable.
    • 544 posts
    October 29, 2011 2:59 AM PDT
    Yeah man, sorry about the bike but I'm glad you walked away from it all.
  • October 29, 2011 3:09 AM PDT
    glad your ok.had a close call myself a few years back. topped a hill outside austin texas doing 70 and 3 deer standing in the road, they were as suprised as i was and they never moved and i swerved around and went between 2 of them.my heart beats faster just thinkin bout it.hope ya get back on the road soon.
    • 7 posts
    October 29, 2011 4:38 AM PDT
    OMG! Bummer 'bout the bike... glad you weren't riding faster than your guardian angel can fly :-)

Timely reminder - riding through the N. Cal. foothills today.
    • 2 posts
    October 29, 2011 10:09 AM PDT
    Good to know that people can survive these things.

Ride in terror after dark. - When on slab tuck in behind a semi & hope its brake lights work. - On the twisties either ride real slow in the probably forlorn hope of minimizing the damage or really fast to minimize the exposure time - Neither approach makes me feel better
    • 7 posts
    October 31, 2011 3:58 AM PDT
    Thanks again CallingFox for your timely reminder. I was extra vigilant riding back through the N. CA foothills at night. I didn't see Bambi but I think I was better prepared... just in case. Thanks!
    • 846 posts
    October 31, 2011 5:38 AM PDT
    As with everyone else glad to hear your ok and walking around. It's one of fears riding. Sorry about the bike it does look like it took a beating. But better it then you.
  • Ry
    October 31, 2011 5:52 PM PDT
    Glad you are ok CallingFox. Shame about the bike, but at least your still round to tell tale.

Had my first near miss with a deer just a couple hours ago in the Angeles Forest here.
  • November 1, 2011 12:27 AM PDT
    99Savage wrote...
    Good to know that people can survive these things.

Ride in terror after dark. - When on slab tuck in behind a semi & hope its brake lights work. - On the twisties either ride real slow in the probably forlorn hope of minimizing the damage or really fast to minimize the exposure time - Neither approach makes me feel better

Big rigs don't protect you they just lay the greasy chunks down on the road and throw them at ya without warning.  Had to use a full washer bottle on the car once after the Semi rig busted a Wisconsin road buck and schredded the deer out the back.  Windshield was a mess and the car wash was expensive.......

• November 2, 2011 2:26 PM PDT
    Glad you're ok Fox...
    Up here in WY we have all kinds of things running out in the road in front of you. I installed deer whistles on my front fender. Don't know if they help but since I haven't hit a deer, I'm not taking them off!
  • November 2, 2011 3:29 PM PDT
    The other day on the radio they said in our area, Frederick County MD, we average 300 deer in Nov. That seemed like a hig number to me at first. But then I realized based on square miles and how we are mostly farm country, it didn't seem to be such a high number. I still try not to be riding during "deer thirty". Glad you were lucky to make it thru this.
  • November 2, 2011 4:14 PM PDT
    Wow, I'm glad you are going to be o.k. The bike can be fixed. It is scary out there, not only by deer.
  • November 19, 2011 4:20 AM PST
    I have 3 deer whistles on my bike, they are small and hide easily. We ride through Oceola National Forest 40 miles across. I never see deer unless Im in my truck.