....last real ride of the season ?

• October 22, 2011 12:38 AM PDT
     ...was just standing out back on tthe deck in my jammies....barefooted...nursing my 3rd cup of coffee....the sun was just rising over the horizon....the temp said 28 degrees....taking deep breaths and watching them explode in a thick cloud as I exhaled....Chili,s bird friends frantically hovered around the feeders...trying to generate some enegry and much needed warmth I suspect....I can no longer deny it....summer is over.....supposed to be 56 degrees and sunny today.....Chili and I are going to suit up and get my sleek black steed out...were headed out...somewhere....dosent really matter...will probably be "cool"....but thats what Gerbings are for.....this could be it.....last real ride of the season.....so I,ll covet every moment of it, hoping it will sustian me through the long, brutal winters we have up here. ......hope ya,ll get some sweet wind this weekend..

. .....did I mention my feet were cold out there ? .. 
  • October 22, 2011 1:19 AM PDT
    I know what you mean, we had our last bike night last night & toys 4 tots run a couple of weeks ago. hope to ride today & tommorrow. our days are numbered here too!! I'm not moving South so gotta deal with it. LOL
  • October 22, 2011 1:33 AM PDT
    Yeah, we ride till they sand and salt the roads so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it holds off, after that as you can see we find other distractions ......where there's RUM !
    • 1780 posts
    October 22, 2011 1:47 AM PDT
    Usually down in Texas we, or at least I will ride into January. I remember when I put Apes on the Dragon it was January and about 36 degrees out, but I just had to see how she road with the new addition. I had on everything I could get on and still reach up to the apes. Going down the slab people are looking at me like.....poor bastard must be his only mode of transportation. When I got home from a 45 minute ride I walked around the front yard with my arms still up in the air for a minute or two. Scared the hell out of the kids in the neighborhood.
    Night Dragon
  • October 22, 2011 1:52 AM PDT
    I can feel things winding down here in northern Wisconsin. I left work a little early yesterday for a short cruise before the sun set. It was a perfect fall afternoon, but definitely chilly even with all my leathers on. I hope to get in another ride today (or two), but I suspect I have three weeks left at most. By the time Michigan's hunting season fires up, my bike is usually parked for the winter.
  • October 22, 2011 1:58 AM PDT
    They are talking mid 50's here in MInn. Hoping to talk the better half into suiting up and hitting the road again. I have been riding to work the past couple weeks yet. Leaving in the morning in as cool as 36 degrees to catch the ride home in the mid 40's! Yep the season is winding down.
    • 58 posts
    October 22, 2011 2:25 AM PDT
    I'm in East Tx about 100 miles east of the Dragon. I rode last year through, every weekend I was home. Some of those rides were chilly to say the least, and only during daylight hours. But, hey, I live and work in a 8'X10' aluminum cage (semi) 25 days of the month. I NEED relief when I get home, even if only a very small dose. Also, since I have no garage to put her in, it's better for Tami (my RK) to be out and about when I'm home.
    • 2072 posts
    October 22, 2011 2:38 AM PDT
    Dang...... Here in central California we HAVE to ride 12 months out of the year !!!!!!!
  • Pat
    October 22, 2011 2:41 AM PDT
    Ya here in the north east part of IL. it has gotten a bit chilly real fast. Ride as long as I can when I can but this time of the year my wife and I suffer in pain all the time, ride time is short and sweet but worth every second.
    • 10 posts
    October 22, 2011 1:31 PM PDT
    sigh.....
  • October 22, 2011 1:44 PM PDT
    It was chilly here in NOLA...early AM in the 60's....in the PM, warmed to mid 70's.
    Next week forecast - warming to the mid 80's.....
    I can't stand it, I'm tellin' ya
  • October 22, 2011 2:22 PM PDT
     .....rolled back in around 5 this afternoon.....went for a 3 hour jaunt all back roads deep in the woods....sunny and temp reached 58 degrees, which made for a nice crisp ride....cranked the Gerbings up to high and just rode....the sweet smell of autumn scents mixed with the drifting aroma of wood smoke from folks wood burning stoves just added to the experience...we did ride back into the city around noon for lunch...hit a place called Gobblers...they specialize in turkey entrees....you can get an entire turkey dinner...nice helping of turkey ...stuffing...mashed taters...cranberry sauce ...all for 10 bucks.....we opted for the turkey noodle zoop in a home made bread bowl....they bake all their own breads....treated ourselves to a big ol molasses cookie for dessert in the parking lot..just leaning on the bike and diggin on the sun rays beating down on us.....tomorrow is sposed to be even nicer...were gonna get the bike out again and head over to Wellington Farms...their sposed to have some...Pumpkin Chunkin there tomorrow....hopefully get some good photo ops.. 

. . . ................ 
  • October 22, 2011 7:04 PM PDT
    Makes me happy to live in California. I'm still riding home from work around midnight and it's still comfortable. Not looking forward to the rain either.
    • 846 posts
    October 24, 2011 9:08 AM PDT
    I know the feeling this is the frist morning I haven't rode to work on the bike. That and one of my riding buddies turn to me last Friday and said only four more weeks. I was pissed and depressed at the same time. So here in Mass & NH it getting to the final strech of riding weather. Makes you appreciate the last few rides of the season I know it does for me.
    • 2 posts
    October 24, 2011 11:33 AM PDT
    Bright & sunny AM, put on the gaiters & a neck warmer, had a righteous good run thru the twisties - Hit a town & was going to head north on Rt 14 & explores some old canal ruins the come back a different way - Saw some really big thunderheads to the north a p'd out
    Don't mind the cold, tolerate being wet - but not both
  • October 24, 2011 12:00 PM PDT
     I don't winterize the bike.May do it sometime, but haven't yet.  But I prefer to keep the bike in the ready should a good day come about. Every time I go out and shovel the driveway I start her up and listen to her.  Makes the chore somewhat more bearable.  
  • October 25, 2011 4:36 AM PDT
    I left Aberdeen, SD last Thursday when it was 33 degrees. Good thing I had my gerbing gloves and heated jacket liner, but I did stop in Watertown and again in Sioux Falls for a cup of coffee until I was able to feel my toes again. I picked up 75 South of Sioux City, into Nebraska, until I got near Blair, and then headed East to Des Moines for the night. Spent the next 3 days heading east, and temps got up around 60, so most of the time I didn't even have to turn the heated gear on, but I was glad I had it once the sun started to set.

I didn't mind the leather weather at all when I was making time on the slabs with the random side excursion of some backroad, such as 12 E across southern Michigan, but now that I am back home in SE PA, I miss the days of not having to gear up to ride.
  • October 25, 2011 5:15 AM PDT
     ....Dag Fefe. ..you got ome serious wind this past week....very cool. ...Gerbings do make a difference...love my jacket liner but my gloves are first generation....wore em once on a Fall Color Tour up here in Northern Michigan...kept my hands warm but were too thick for my liking...I like to be able to feel the throttle firmly.....used to do Rt,s 32 and 29 in Pennsylvania when I lived in Jersey....New Hope..French Town......some great roads in the hills back that way and the Fall Rides are second to none.....Im just about as far North as you can go on I - 75....and thats my dream one day...to get on 75 and head....South

. . .......... 
  • October 25, 2011 6:10 AM PDT
    I actually rode on 29 N earlier today on my way to work. I am thinking of putting together another one of my Fallen Foliage runs...there usually isn't enough leaves left on the trees in November to call it a Fall Foliage ride.

I actually enjoyed that part of 75 S through NE. And then picking up 30 E ... Old Lincoln Hiway ... was kind of a kick too, since I live about 10 miles from it...but I was over 1,000 miles from home at the time.
  • October 25, 2011 11:01 AM PDT
    Yeah right Fefe, next you will tell us you rode from the east coast to Texas in cold weather all alone just to see some friends from the interwebz. You are so full of shit.
  • October 25, 2011 12:34 PM PDT
    Hydro, you dork. Are you just stalking me or trolling all the biker sites now?

And as far as my Texas trip last November, it wasn't that cold once I got there. But when I got home on Thanksgiving morning after 8 days and 4300 miles, yeah, I was a bit chilly.

• October 26, 2011 9:57 AM PDT
    I do my stalking in person. I was invited here by some racist from Texas.
  • October 26, 2011 11:31 AM PDT
    Sad but true...the iceman cometh.
    • 580 posts
    November 11, 2011 10:06 AM PST
    BlvdCruiser wrote...
    Dang...... Here in central California we HAVE to ride 12 months out of the year !!!!!!!

BlvdC - Well it's a hard life  but someone has to to it eh lol?   Just had heated grips fitted on Ethel which will hopefully help me get more rides in (weather permitting) over the winter.  Think I managed at least one a month last winter (which was the first year in over 10 years of riding she hadn't been put away by October). Hopefully a few more this year as it all helps blow the cobwebs away. 
  • January 20, 2012 2:10 PM PST
    Yesterday I heard there was snow in the forecast. Other than an odd storm we had at the end of October, winter in SE PA hasn't been all that bad.

Yesterday, it was about 34°, but I was still able to get out for a scoot.

I had heated grips once, but decided they were useless below 40° or over 40mph. Heated gloves work much better!