If you only had one tool and one aid in your pocket

• 1780 posts
    October 19, 2011 11:18 AM PDT
    OK we've all been jaming down the slab maybe somewhere out in the middle of no where, and relized .....damn I don't have any tools on me if I break down. So let's just say your headed out on a Sunday for a 200 + mile ride, and you just grabed a couple of road side repair items. What would they be and why. Remember only one tool and one repair aid (ie bailing wire).

For me the tool would be a large blade screw driver, for prying, hammering, and actually a flat head screw.
    The road side aid would be a roll of Gorillia Tape. This stuff is tuff as hell and would hold a set of handle bars on if need be.

Let's hear from ya
    Dragon
  • October 19, 2011 12:09 PM PDT
    My trusty Leatherman,roll of duct tape and a bunch of .032 Safety Wire
    • 2 posts
    October 19, 2011 12:31 PM PDT
     Heavy duty duct tape and this www.easternperformance.com/products.php.
  • October 19, 2011 12:42 PM PDT
    If I could only have one repair item it would be a flat repair kit and one tool would of corse be the leatherman. In real life I always take my leather roll of tools no matter what bike I am on.
    • 567 posts
    October 19, 2011 2:00 PM PDT
    StBobber wrote...
     Heavy duty duct tape and this www.easternperformance.com/products.php.
    What??? No bottle opener?

For me, it would be my Leatherman and a package of zip ties.

• 1516 posts
    October 19, 2011 2:55 PM PDT
    I said it once and I will say it again, a MacQuiver thingy and the old man.. that's all that has ever been needed
  • October 19, 2011 3:10 PM PDT
     ......cell phone

. . . ....two summers ago we decided to take a ride to a friends BBQ.....in Texas

......we were making great time heading down the interstate ...estimated speed....80 mph........towing a trailer...

.. ....give ya the..detailed version some other time...for the sake of this post...I,ll keep it short....

.....it was late in the afternoon.....somewhere round 5 pm.....we were headed for Memphis for the night and we were 25 miles out ....

. ..cruisin along at 80 mph had a rear flat.....took the next exit....Osceola Arkansas.....

......sittin in a some shit gas station with a big ol parking lot that doubled for a Truck Stop...Chili n me were rollin round on the ground..

....semis slowly going by one after another.....air filled with dust and disel fumes.....had this shitty litle plug kit ....you know the ones..

. ....rubber strips ya tear off....metal forked tongue tool....and a tube of goop....followed dierctions and located the hole...

...shoved the metal tool in to rough up the rubber and the air came wooshing out 5 times as fast as before.....tire went flat infront of my eyes...

......gooped the rubber plug up and stuffed it in....tried fillin her.....air was commin out as fast as it was goin in....mebbe faster....

....whipped out my cell and called my insurance...Progressive......I was smart enough to call em before I left and added road side assistance..

......then I called my friend in Texas...he hands the phone to another guy who just happened to live in Memphis and told me the ..
    ....best Honda Dealer to go to. ......course they were closed for the day....called Progressive back and told em were gonna hang in Osceola for 
    ...the night....call em in the morning......filled the rear tire WAY up and shot 1/4 mile down the road to a shityy little motel....just made it....

....got a room and ordered a pizza from some local place and got a six pack down the road at the truck stop we were just at.....

...in the morning called the Honda Dealer and he had a Dunlop E III in stock....called Progressive and they sent a flatbed....

....guy pulls up an hour later....10 am.....looks at my rig and goes....hook your trailer back up...Im gonna tow the whole rig up on 
    ...the back...and dont worry....I aint gonna hurt your bike. ........I had a feeling this guy was good...and he was....

...so we rode into Memphis in a flatbed truck my rig on the back....got to the Dealer around noon....he took us right in....

......hour and half later.....1:30 PM....we were pulling out of the parking lot with a brand new rear tire ....and continuing our adventure...

.........my advice ?

. . .. ........never order a pizza in Osceloa Arkansas.. 
  • October 19, 2011 3:27 PM PDT
    My tools are as follows, a leatherman, cell phone, handgun n a a blue handled switch blade...
    RandJoe..Ride Strong....
  • October 20, 2011 12:51 AM PDT
    (My tools are as follows, a leatherman, cell phone, handgun n a a blue handled switch blade...
    RandJoe..Ride Strong....)

What he said......X2
    • 1780 posts
    October 20, 2011 12:57 AM PDT
    RandyJoe and Mac117 you guys are my kind of riders. Ride light, ride armed!!!
    Night Dragon
    • 19049 posts
    October 20, 2011 1:04 AM PDT
    Looks like the Leatherman is on top, mine is with me always. Zip ties too. But never would I go out with just one tool. The travel kit is always in the left bag.
    • 1780 posts
    October 20, 2011 1:10 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Looks like the Leatherman is on top, mine is with me always. Zip ties too. But never would I go out with just one tool. The travel kit is always in the left bag.
     Rex this is a throught provoking question........I know you are always prepaired with all the traveling you do....LOL
    By the way Rex where are you now?
    Dragon
    • 5420 posts
    October 20, 2011 3:25 AM PDT
    If I could only have one I've got to go with ND and the flat head screwdriver and tape. I have actually gotten hex heads off with a flat head by hammering it in the side to make a grove and then hammering it to spin it.

• 130 posts
    October 20, 2011 4:06 AM PDT
    The only roadside repairs I've had to make called for a Phillips screwdriver and tape.
    • 2072 posts
    October 20, 2011 5:51 AM PDT
    Cork screw and a wine glass....... If I break down I'm just gonna sit and get drunk !!!!!!
  • October 20, 2011 8:31 AM PDT
    If I could only have one repair item it would be a flat repair kit and one tool would of corse be the leatherman. In real life I always take my leather roll of tools no matter what bike I am on.

YES!
    • 846 posts
    October 20, 2011 8:40 AM PDT
    I have to go with the leathermen also along with the duck tape. One summer I was camping out and the bike at the next site asked if I had any tools. Red faced I said no, then remember the leatherman i carried and low and behold it was enough to get him back on the road.
    • 1780 posts
    October 20, 2011 9:34 AM PDT
    BlvdCruiser wrote...
    Cork screw and a wine glass....... If I break down I'm just gonna sit and get drunk !!!!!!

Bro you are hopless, but if I find you broke down on the side of the road......better have a few bottles of the vino persuasion.
    Dragon

• 1780 posts
    October 20, 2011 9:40 AM PDT
    OK this post deserves a joke (I've told it before but some time ago). This BMW rider (before you kick the shit out of the Dragon....I have nothing against BMW's) was out for a ride on the back roads of America with his matching leathers, polished bike, and proper poster, when he comes accross this old Harley dude broke down on the side of the road. Feeling the spirit that day the BMW rider stoped to aid assistance......Harley dude said ....got any wrench's? The BMW rider said ...of course I do the best money can buy. What size do you need.
    The old Harley dude looked at the BMW rider kind of odd and said....Hell it don't matter, I'm going to use it for a hammer anyway.
    Dragon
    • 1 posts
    October 20, 2011 11:14 AM PDT
    I carry a leather man tool and if that can't fix it then I pull out my AAA roadside assistance Card which fixes whatever ails my ride
    • 16840 posts
    October 20, 2011 11:25 AM PDT
    A large crescent wrench and some mechanic's wire.

I kept a Winchester 1300 Defender in my sidecar that got me out of a jam or two, but that's another story for another day.
    • 19049 posts
    October 21, 2011 2:48 AM PDT
    nightdragon wrote...
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
     Rex this is a throught provoking question........I know you are always prepaired with all the traveling you do....LOL
    Dragon

Hey Ken, We are in PA now. Hangin with family and friends until early Jan. Then off to Texas again I think (if I rebuild my Jeep that is in Nacogdoches). This time I have to hook up with you and Angel Eyes.

• 1780 posts
    October 21, 2011 3:06 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    nightdragon wrote...
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Dragon

Hey Ken, We are in PA now. Hangin with family and friends until early Jan. Then off to Texas again I think (if I rebuild my Jeep that is in Nacogdoches). This time I have to hook up with you and Angel Eyes.

Man I would love to see ya..........Just let me know when your close
    Dragon

• October 21, 2011 5:19 AM PDT
    Bottle opener and my phone!
    • 16840 posts
    October 21, 2011 5:29 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Hey Ken, We are in PA now. Hangin with family and friends until early Jan.

Pennsylvania is like a magnet, it keeps drawing you home, like it did me.