hi new to the site and to biking

• October 13, 2011 6:39 PM PDT
     Name is Frankie new to the site and new to biking any advice would be welcomed
  • October 14, 2011 3:02 AM PDT
    Welcome to the site from So.Cal and as for advice , well just have as much fun riding as you can and don't worry about what others think. You will have alot more fun and remember the view never changes from the back of the pack. Get out an lead once in awhile.
    • 5420 posts
    October 14, 2011 3:34 AM PDT
    Welcome Frankie, As Wheels said, best advice we can give for you to enjoy riding is to get out and do it! Find new places to ride every chance you get.

If you're new to it, even if you're up and riding already you may want to take a skills/safety test. Riding is a lot more fun once you become comfortable with it.

Be safe and enjoy!!!
    • 19034 posts
    October 14, 2011 4:02 AM PDT
    Welcome and...
    I see you are not a young buck so will probable make good decisions. Asking for advice proves that. As Lucky said, a safety course is a must. Very good info there. Good luck to you and always feel free to ask ANY question. NO RIDICULE ALLOWED HERE!
  • October 14, 2011 4:11 AM PDT
    Welcome Frankie, I'm near Hoffman Estates are we neighbors? And a boater too but gave up on the chain.
    • 844 posts
    October 14, 2011 5:17 AM PDT
    Glad you have joined us on the road!!!

My advice Safety first. Go take the rider safety course. Just knowing "how to ride a bike" is just the begining. They will teach you what to do in certain situations that you will hopefully not experience on the road, but if you do it is not fun for the first one to be the one you learned from.

Second is FUN. Enjoy the ride. You will see things you never saw before just traveling the same roads on a bike!
    • 16825 posts
    October 14, 2011 6:55 AM PDT
    Hello from the extreme north-west corner of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
  • October 14, 2011 2:59 PM PDT
     Thank u for the warm welcome and sound advice will be sharing my new experience as i enjoy the life.
  • October 19, 2011 7:55 PM PDT
    Hi Frankier, I'm also new to the site and new to riding. I enjoy it, but still am terrified in traffic! I need loud pipes! Good luck to you and remember...don't wear your sunglasses at night! =)
  • October 19, 2011 11:26 PM PDT
    A Big Welcome From Iowa............The biggest thing for me was not giving up. I would get so frustrated but I kept at it. that was 12 years ago............I Love To Ride..........So Glad I Didn't Give Up. Have Fun & Be Safe!!! Don't Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly!!!
  • October 20, 2011 3:53 AM PDT
    thank you all for all the warm greetings looking forward to reading and sharing biking adventures
    • 1161 posts
    October 20, 2011 6:33 AM PDT
    Welcome to CF! Hope you enjoy it like we do! I'm kinda new to riding as well but been here since 2009. But this is a great group to have in your corner to get advice from and ask questions even if they are about maintance exc.
  • Ry
    October 21, 2011 7:28 PM PDT
    Welcome to CF! One piece of advice I would offer is that in addition to your regular riding, make it a point every once in a while to find a safe site (open parking lot, seldom used street, etc) to practice slow speed maneuvers (tight turns, weaves, obstacle avoidance, hill starts, etc). You can never get too much practice!
  • October 22, 2011 1:50 AM PDT
    The Safety course is Undeniablly the best thing you can do for yourself I also agree. The more confidence you have the more enjoyable the sport will become. After 40 + years on two wheels I get the same kick every time I get out there. The BIG RUSH ! Another thing you want to do for yourself along with the pipes is be as Visible as possible, Loud clothing , additional lights on the bike etc. And, very important, learn as much about the maintenance of your machine as you can and check it out every time before you ride or get a partner who is "wrench sav vy" to help you.Best of Luck ... Enjoy !
    • 2 posts
    October 23, 2011 1:07 PM PDT
    Welcome from South Central New York State

+1 on the MSF .
    Had been riding for about 50 years off & on (mostly off) when I took it - Learned a lot & got comfortable back in the saddle
    • 567 posts
    October 23, 2011 1:50 PM PDT
    Greetings Frankie from the center of the Sunshine State and welcome to CF.
    I hope you enjoy the site and as far as advice .. if'n you listen to ME, you'll never go wrong. [snicker]
  • October 24, 2011 2:38 PM PDT
    Welcome to riding, now get out there and ride those back roads.
  • October 26, 2011 11:38 AM PDT
    Welcome from North Carolina!! Enjoy the ride, ride whenever ya can, and don't take friendly ribbing seriously!
  • October 27, 2011 7:43 AM PDT
    Welcome Frankie. Glad to have you here and glad to hear you found a new love of riding.

My advice get out and ride quick - it's gonna get cold in IL real soon!
    • 846 posts
    October 27, 2011 8:40 AM PDT
    Welcome Frankie is about all I can add to what everyone else has mentioned. Just get comfortable with riding and your bike and enjoy it. Take good care of your bike and it will take care of you.