Friend in Need

• 12 posts
    September 25, 2011 3:15 PM PDT
    My friend has a "08 Sportster 1200 and is having issues with the factory alarm system.  He only has this problem at his work.  When he gets to work, he parks his bike fairly close to the building in the motorcycle parking.  When he goes to leave either for lunch or for the the day, he has problems starting the bike, sometimes he has to get it trailered home.  I am thinking there is a frequency interference problem with his bike and something near his work.  Again it only happens at his work and no where else.  The closest place for him to get it looked at is about 90 miles away and he made the trip only to find out there was nothing they could do but order a new module for the turnsignal that was going to run him over $200.  Does anyone out there have any ideas or suggestions that I can give to him.  I told him to try parking a little farther away from his normal parking spot to see if that cures the problem.  Any ideas would be very helpful.  Thanks

Pete
    • 19037 posts
    September 26, 2011 1:48 AM PDT
    I have heard of this happening before. What happens if it is possible for him not to set the alarm? Just wondering if it is the alarm or ignition.
    • 5420 posts
    September 26, 2011 5:17 AM PDT
    • 12 posts
    September 26, 2011 5:49 AM PDT
    @ Lucky: He has tried the PIN override and sometimes it works, sometimes it won't... @ Rex: He is trying to figure out a way to disable the alarm feature all together if this is going to continue to happen. The alarm automatically arms when he turns off the bike
    • 5420 posts
    September 26, 2011 7:05 AM PDT
    Sorry to say disabling the new button-less FOB security systems ('07 & up) is not as easy as you would hope.

The factory security system is contained within the Turn Signal Module (TSM), which becomes a Turn Signal Security Module (TSSM) when it is so equipped. The only way to completely disable it (not just override with the PIN) is to remove the TSSM and replace it with a non-security TSM. Around $150 for a non-security TSM.
    • 12 posts
    September 26, 2011 7:49 AM PDT
    Thanks Lucky, I will pass the info along.
    • 1 posts
    September 29, 2011 5:12 AM PDT
    Yeah, used to be on the old push button FOB alarms you could just set the override code to all zeros to permanently disable the alarm. Now the new ones won't let you use all zeros. If you want to swap out the TSSM for a TSM try calling a couple local independant shops and see if they have a TSM in stock. They may be willing to swap you straight up because the TSSM is more money.