Hwy Pegs on top of the crash bars

• August 27, 2011 6:26 AM PDT
     Hi, I am looking for a way to put rubber on the top of my crash bars.   I saw some crash bars that Kyr. sells will foot pegs built into the crash bars.  I don't want to change them out.  Is there some rubber I can put on them etc. ??  any suggestions??

• 130 posts
    August 27, 2011 10:42 AM PDT
    Garden hose?
    • 2072 posts
    August 27, 2011 2:12 PM PDT
    What type of bars do you currently have ? Seems that on MOST standard crash bars that would put your feet and legs to high up to be really comfortable (or safe).
    • 16795 posts
    August 27, 2011 4:37 PM PDT
    Best to check with your state's laws concerning the allowable distance between foot controls and "highway pegs" before putting time and effort into said project.
  • August 30, 2011 2:12 PM PDT
    good point..however I like the garden hose answer.. I might just put some rubber there..108 degrees can be very very warm and I find if I put my legs up on the top of the crash bars they cool off. I have very short legs. lol.
    • 1364 posts
    August 31, 2011 1:05 AM PDT
    • 5417 posts
    August 31, 2011 2:04 AM PDT
    Might also want to try bicycle hand grips - a little more stylish than the hose. They have some pretty durable ones of you go where they sell BMX and mountain bikes.

You could just slice the grip open, put a little rubber cement in there and slip it around the bar.
  • August 31, 2011 4:52 AM PDT
    If it is for a "leg pad" and not a foot rest then a pipe insulation that is split and contact adhesive joint would fill the application. It is soft and will take a lot of use before it gets ugly. Is also cheep with several sizes to fit the bar size and quick to apply...Home depot, Lowes or hardware store..

Second option,  clamp on foot pegs that are available, folding, fit inside or outside the bar and wont look ugly or like a cobblers mistake.

• August 31, 2011 5:13 AM PDT
    On my 03 classic I put the, clamp on, foot pegs on the inside of the (engine guard) or crash bar. It solves the problems of being too high for comfort and the distance law and your feet are more protected in case of slide. Its very comfortable for the long rides.
    • 5417 posts
    August 31, 2011 5:35 AM PDT
    Just thinking about it again... you could put a piece of tough leather laced nicely on the back.
  • August 31, 2011 11:32 AM PDT
    They make several different types of exhaust rap and they also come in a variety of colors. Btw was just wondering has anybody been cited for having their highway pegs mounted incorrectly according to your state laws, just wondering.
    • 567 posts
    August 31, 2011 1:55 PM PDT
    There is a "tape" that they use on boat trailer fenders which creates a non-slip surface. You might check it out at your local marine supply.