Getting a Dent Out of a Motorcycle Tank

• 844 posts
    August 15, 2011 3:40 AM PDT
    Did something real dumb this weekend.  I was on a step ladder changing a light in the garage when I stretched too far to the side.. yep me and the ladder went down and of course the ladder hit my gas tank.  Luckily the ladder was the type with the plastic top step so no paing danage, but a pretty big dent in the tank.

Someone told me to drain the tank, submerge it in cold water with the cap of, then put the cap on and put it in hot water.  This would expand the air and pop the dent.  Anyone ever done this?  Don't want to disform the rest of the tank.
    • 5420 posts
    August 15, 2011 5:47 AM PDT
    I have heard that too but never tried it. Sounds like it should work in theory, but like you said it may bulg the rest of the tank too.

p.s. - I always move my bike out when doing ANYTHING in the garage - bet you will to after this
    • 16831 posts
    August 15, 2011 5:50 AM PDT
    I never heard that one.
    What ever you do don't build up more than 5 pounds of pressure, that is the "rule of thumb" for testing tanks without disfiguring one.
    I have built some odd shaped tools over the years to reach inside to "work out" dents, if that failed I've had to use a dent puller on the outside.
    Keep in mind when I get a tank that needs repairs it's also in need of painting.
    • 0 posts
    August 15, 2011 6:38 AM PDT
    If it has no creases, you can go to one of those paintless body repair places. They attach a REAL strong suction cup to the dent and using a brace pull it out with no paint damage. I believe harbour freight sells a kit for doing this also.
  • September 16, 2011 6:05 AM PDT
    There is a method I've seen used that involves filling the tank with water and then freezing it. Water expands. You often have to add more water a couple times to actually fill all the voids. Depending on the size of the dent, try contacting a hail damage auto repair service. I think it involves dry ice to pop it back into place.
  • Ry
    September 16, 2011 7:14 AM PDT
    I've heard about using dry ice if it's not creased.

See link:
    http://www.gadgetjq.com/dentremoval.htm />
    G
  • September 16, 2011 8:11 AM PDT
    I've heard of people popping the seams too when trying to do something like this. Be careful!
  • September 23, 2011 6:21 AM PDT
    Forget the old wives tales and witchcraft. Gas tanks of all types must meet federal specs and witchcraft is what the Fed tries to eliminate.

Ok, you dented your tank and now have to repair it. Depends on the manufacturers spec on the inside of the tank as to how u can repair it. Avoid reaching into the tank and tappin it out if you have a coating inside. Never use an automotive dent puller that requires drilling into the tank to pull the dent out or you'll be welding the holes shut and that could cause you even more problems. The only thing I know how to do is to use short strand fiberglass body filler (NEVER USE BONDO) in that with out the strands the filler will crack, especially plain Bondo.

Your best bet is to get with a pro that sells body shop supplies and equiupment for current information. Also, when it comes to paint, make very sure, your getting a urathane base paint. No laquer of any type and no enamel of any type can stand up for very long against the new formulations of gasoline.

I only paint with pure laquer and that work is for a show bike. If I use it on my own I use a bout six coats of clear so when the fuel attacks it I only have to rub it out, otherwise it means water sanding and a few new coats of clear.

Good luck to you.
  • September 24, 2011 5:30 AM PDT
    I forgot to add to my last message that the best, and I do mean the best, way to go is to buy a new tank already painted from the OEM and just intall it. Then, you can screw around repairing your dented one. It also makes sense since you may dent the new one and at least then you can just swap tanks and get the dented tank repaired or repair it yourself.
    • 16831 posts
    September 24, 2011 4:58 PM PDT
    Bum wrote...
    Forget the old wives tales and witchcraft.

Hmmmmmmm.
    • 19040 posts
    September 26, 2011 1:56 AM PDT
    I am rolling with Bum on this. Just get a new tank.
  • July 16, 2013 5:29 AM PDT
    A lot of dents and creases can be repaired by simply pushing them back out from the back side. It doesn't effect the paint at all so it's fast and convienent while keeping your factory painted parts. Search for US Dent on Google+ or www.facebook.com/usdent
    • 1855 posts
    July 16, 2013 5:57 AM PDT
    Soooooooo, what's the verdict here? Did ya get it fixed? Did ya get a new one?
    • 544 posts
    July 16, 2013 7:51 AM PDT
    I'm not sure if the metal on the tank is too thick or not but for dents and dings on a car you can heat the dent with a hair dryer then grab a can of air duster turn it upside down and shoot the dent. This will pop out most dents on a car.
  • July 16, 2013 9:35 AM PDT
    I use a blood pressure cuff, like the ones the doctors use to try and take your arm off. I push it down into the tank near the dent and slowly inflate it until the dent pops. You can get a cuff off ebay for about $8, or you can come by my place and I'll do it for you!
    • 1855 posts
    July 16, 2013 11:56 AM PDT
    Oh man, he's not gonna tell us is he! LOL
    • 844 posts
    July 17, 2013 11:33 AM PDT
    appreciate all of the suggestions, but to be honest I haven't even attempted to fix it yet. I got the new Street Glide and the old gal is just sitting in the garage still dented.
  • July 1, 2014 3:29 AM PDT
    I know this is an old thread so I apologize in advance for being "that guy". When I googled motorcycle dent repair, this came up. I just wanted to offer yall my help. I own Transcendent Motorcycle Dent Repair based out of Florida. If yall get a dent in your tank of fender, we can fix it. It does NOT damage the tank in any way. In fact, we are able to preserve the tank or fenders original value by not welding, grinding, filling, sanding, painting. If you have any questions, please visit our website: www.motorcycledentrepair.com or feel free to call us: 850-418-2437