Rain Gear preferences

• 846 posts
    June 13, 2011 8:20 AM PDT
    Having gotten back from my first of many trips to Laconia this week (as usual it rained up, during and back as it does most years) I was soaking wet (my fault) upon my return.  Having guided rafts and being outdoors for years my preference in wet weather gear has been Gore-Tex pants and jacket. But that gear though still useful (it was with me and was used in the past and present) wasn’t purchased with riding in mind and is a little small to wear over jeans and a leather jacket. So before I laid down some big coin to super size my gear I thought I would see what other have found useful.
    So what have you found useful in keeping dry while still riding.
  • g
    June 13, 2011 8:27 AM PDT
    STILL GORE-TEX ,I WORK IN HEIN GERICKE motorbike clothing shop and gore tex is still the best ,u do have to look after the gear though ,remember to use ur tech wash to wash the gear in ,u can wash in washing machine or by hand ,this will stop the gore tex from cloging up with dirt and the rain n water will just bead off ,wont have to wash with this often ,deppends how often u use the gear ,once a week then wash every 3 months or so ,every day then probably every second week ,u also get SHELL TEX gear ,mutch the same as gore tex but wont last as long but again deppends what ur doing with the gear ,shell tex is a lot cheeper though .
  • g
    June 13, 2011 8:31 AM PDT
    and u will find that gore tex gear will have a better protection built in ,both back and arms ....have a look at the hein gericke master 5 suite ,its top suite on the go ,we now do the sports version ,it has kevler on the arms and a lock out zip .and u can remove the linings on both jacket and pants .
  • g
    June 13, 2011 8:33 AM PDT
    its important to wash the gear with the right washing product ,if u dont wash the gear it will just clogg up and get heavy and then it will let in the rain ,gortex needs to breath ,if it dose not then u will not get the full use of the gear .
  • g
    June 13, 2011 8:43 AM PDT
    jacket ..and pants .
  • g
    June 13, 2011 8:45 AM PDT
    with bib n brase .and kevler in the arms and gore tex performance shell .
  • June 13, 2011 8:47 AM PDT
    Me, I just try and dodge the raindrops and make the best of it.
  • June 13, 2011 9:03 AM PDT
    im with jdub- i avoid the rain if i can - if not- its my leathers- and i jus suck it up-
  • June 13, 2011 9:04 AM PDT
    Nice stuff G. Chaz i have seen a lot of bikers in my neck of the woods wearing Frog Toggs. I spoke with a few bikers and they seemed happy with the performance and price. Im in the market also.
    • 580 posts
    June 13, 2011 10:33 AM PDT
    Had the  very same convo yesterday on my local bike forum and  as g noted gore-tex came top - provided it's looked after properly.  As you can see from my pics I don't have any.  Had to ride home 90 miles in pouring rain with poor visibility yesterday and when I got home all my clothes, AND poor Shaun looked like I'd just dunked em in a bath!!! Coulda caught fish in the water in my boots.  Hey ho - better start saving them pennies for some proper wet weather gear methinks

• 567 posts
    June 13, 2011 12:21 PM PDT
    I've got a set of Frogg Toggs but I prefer to just get off the road. Too many cagers who do NOT know how to drive in the rain.
    • 3006 posts
    June 13, 2011 2:16 PM PDT
    I have a Rukka riding suit for the really nasty stuff,its a one piece that you can step into.Been caught out on the freeway a couple of times riding back from my old job,its a life saver.still works great after 25 years.not sure if they still make them? european company.
    • 19052 posts
    June 14, 2011 1:25 AM PDT
    Rain Gear? We don't have no Rain Gear, We don't need no Stinkin Rain Gear...
    • 2 posts
    June 14, 2011 1:55 AM PDT
    Vinyl rain gear from K-Mart kept me dry for decades - Got it because it was cheap + folded flat enough to fit under the seat of most scooters. (Wore a riding jacket over the rain gear.)
    Got rid of it because not only kept rain out - kept sweat in. Came home after a few days of mostly rain on the road - dog sniffed me 3 times then moved to the other side of the patio.
    Now have "Frogg Toggs" - Have not yet tried them out. - Awfully bulky - Do not come close to fitting under the seat & have to bungee them on the scooter.
  • June 14, 2011 1:56 AM PDT
    I live in So. Cal what rain gear?
  • June 14, 2011 1:56 AM PDT
    I live in So. Cal what rain gear?
    • 3006 posts
    June 14, 2011 2:54 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...

LOL good one !!!

by the way Rukka is still around and apparently still making top of the line rain gear
    I would say that my 20$ was well spent back then , bought it at a garage sale !!
    • 5420 posts
    June 14, 2011 3:00 AM PDT
    Some good input on this post from last year... Rain gear which type do you have
    • 6 posts
    June 14, 2011 6:45 AM PDT
    Me, I just get wet. I've left home IN the rain several times, once to start a nice long turnpike trip THROUGH the rain... its water, and I ain't made of sugar! LOL I do, however, generally keep some yard cleanup bags on the bike for anything that might be tied on outside the tourpack and bags, like jackets and sleeping bags on a camping trip. No point in having a wet bed, too!
    • 846 posts
    June 15, 2011 8:40 AM PDT
    Well head back to Laconia so. Thanks for all the input. Time to save some coin and update a little.
    Chocmintz, That look similar to the pile I had on Saturday.
    Lucky, Thanks for doing the search I read that post also.
    To everyone who hasn't ridden in the rain for a few hundred miles. You don't know what your missing. Arrr the squessy feeling of socks in a puddle of water in your leather boots, there's nothing like it.
    Well ride safe everyone.
    • 0 posts
    June 15, 2011 10:19 AM PDT
    Marni and I got hit in a big bastard of a storm on sundy ridin home.I dont know how it works but she stayed dry and I got as wet as a shag..I have two sets of wet gear just seems like i got the shit set..Go figure.Marni only had wet boots,i was scrotumly well hydrates and my boots filled up.Woulda been better off with no wet gear at all..Gotta hate rain..CHEERS BOOF
    • 1364 posts
    June 16, 2011 7:26 AM PDT
    Living in Washington State we get a little bit of rain here. Traveling as we do, we run into rain and the rain gear I use is Field Shield. Keeps me dry, it breathes and is comfortable.

http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Suspenders-Shield/dp/B004FVFXMA
    • 6 posts
    June 16, 2011 8:24 AM PDT
    decent chaps keep the rain out of your boots, and decent boots have tight enough seams not to let water in; so that's as much as I do, leathering up. I started once in a really good early spring storm for the turnpike, about 40 degrees out; started out with full leathers, gloves, and a snap-on face mask for my helmet, but the crosswind was so strong that it ripped the mask off about 3 miles down the interstate. Took off the gloves, too, they got soaked instantly and it was warmer without them believe it or not. Yeah, it's not always "fun" riding in crap weather, but I was always kinda proud that I did it. That was about 600 miles or so in 24 hours, a quick run to Detroit and back; left at 4 pm, visited all evening, started home at 10:30-11 with my dad, and the roads were still wet the whole way back as we rode secondary roads through ohio all night to get home; it was also cold, maybe 30 degress, which is not your friend at 55 or so when you're already wet. If my socks were wet I think I'd have hung it up for the night lol
  • June 18, 2011 1:01 AM PDT
    JDub54 wrote...
    Me, I just try and dodge the raindrops and make the best of it.

Reminds me of my first year riding - rode three hours to honor a Vet on his birthday, got up there and rain was threatening.  All of those in my group started pulling out rain gear and I stood there watching them thinking, "Hey!  That's a *really* good idea!"
    After having to ride three hours home in driving rain so hard I couldn't see a foot in front of my bike at times, I immediately bought my own rain gear... (we pulled over a few times, but it wasn't letting up at all, just getting worse).
    I use Tourmasters and haven't had a complaint yet (and I've ridden home in some driving rain).  My only wish is that the pants covered the boots - I need to get boot covers.

• 1 posts
    June 18, 2011 12:22 PM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...

I am with ya Mike, I take a heavy dose of Triactin and ride on.