wanna-be rider! need some HELP

• June 4, 2011 3:22 AM PDT
    Greetings bikers,

My name is Pat and I'm a wanna-be-biker-poor-college student. I've always wanted to be a biker and now that i am of age and have the capable funds I'm ready to get my FIRST BIKE!

I have some "newbie" questions that i would sincerly appreciate some accurate advice and recomendations.

-My first problem is the fact that i do not know anything about motorcycles!

-My second problem is the MONEY! i have to buy a used bike and i do not know what to look for when i am looking at it and testing it out.
    I know what i want though......i want a crotch rocket that i can fit a girl on the back comfortably. I also want it to be safe, reliable, comfortable,and generally a bike i can show off with (speed, "fast looking",etc.). I've been told that when you get your first bike you have to get a beginners bike,but i have a problem with this. I'm a quick learner and i do not want to buy a beginners bike, have it for a year, and then go and have to sell and buy a new bike for when i get better.  i'm sure i'm not the first person that doesnt want to learn on a beginners bike.

I'm guessing it is like picking out a car......
    -brand name
    -mileage
    -motor problems
    -price
    -reliablility
    -size (not like a car)
    -gas mileage
    -what should i feel for when test riding...
    -those obvious factors that are automatic no-no's (like when you see nice truck you wanna buy and it rides really nice but right before you bbuy it the tell you they "INSTALLED A BRAND NEW ENGINE or IT WAS IN AN ACCIDENT ONCE")

any recomendations and advice would be greatly appreciated. I really want to be a biker, but i have nobody to give me advice and help on the matter.

Thank you so much,

-Pat
  • June 4, 2011 4:31 AM PDT
    Welcome Pat to the Cyclefish family. You have just opened the door that accesses the world of many roads. How to start is one that most here will agree on. Take the classes first and learn how to ride the right way. Then it takes practice and at a pace that makes the reactions automatic. If you don't know how the bike is controled, when an emergency comes up chances are that you won't turn the right way (counter steer) , wheel lock brake or afraid to use the brake and steer away rather than lay it down.
    First bikes are for a purpose and have served a many riders well. Your statement of " SHOW OFF" is one of a true beginner. Sorry but the best "SHOW OFF" is done with the bike parked and lights shown on the bike. Your passenger will or should try to knock your "Helmet" off if you don't respect them and their safety during a ride. That is done by practice and knowing what it feels like as a passenger and not knowing what the driver is going to do.
    Don't mean to sound like a parent but as an EMT that has had to pick up novice bikers that are riding beyond their skill level and trainning, I woud want you to begin to enjoy the ride for a long time and do it safely. Listen to those who have been down this road for many miles.
  • June 4, 2011 5:18 AM PDT
    yes i agree with hgsc90 take the classes and learn to ride right, the wife and i were on a ride recently and encountered a cat , ran across in front of us and ..well lets say the weight of our bike and the 2 riders took care of the cat hit right in the middle with both wheels,as a rider for 20 + years i was able to keep us up and go on,i know you are thinking that it was just a cat but even a cat can throw you if you are not ready for it.. take the time to get familiar with whatever bike you get so the reaction will be automatic, there are all kinds of hazards that you can run into that you dont even think about in a car.. so all that said,riding is awsome and great fun if you are careful just take your time to do it right and be safe
  • June 4, 2011 5:29 AM PDT
    I've been riding 2 wheels for 50 years. I started young. I took the motorcycle safety course a few years ago. It also helps the experienced rider. Take the course, you may find you don't like motorcycle, or you may love them. Nobody likes a show off its dangerous to everyone on the road. Most importantly,"Ride Safe."
  • June 4, 2011 10:22 AM PDT
    No one buys a Maserati as their first car and expects to know how to use it.

The sheer fact that you want to show off for the girls indicates you sure don't have the maturity to handle anything in the supersport class. Don't even think about a liter bike.

Learn how to ride. Learn how to ride safely. Learn how to ride better. If you're on a sport bike, get some track time. Know where to show off and where not to.

Your first bike should be something you won't worry about crashing. Because you will. Riders who have never been down obviously just don't ride enough to be called riders.

Nothing wrong with a Ninja 250 as a first bike. Can be bought all day for $1500 and sold for $1500 two years later. Man up and expect the parking lot retards to poke fun at you. Anyone who thinks they've ridden past the capabilities of the little Ninja isn't a good enough rider.

Ninja 500's are great all around bikes. So are the Katanas. Yeah, not as fast as a full Gixxer with the steel frames but the insurance is a shitload cheaper. GS500, SV650, GSX-F 650, EX-650 all good all around use bikes that look just as sporty to the average idiot.

Even Valentino Rossi didn't start out riding the 800cc Ducati as a starter bike.
    • 9 posts
    June 4, 2011 12:37 PM PDT
    I have to echo everyone else here! Most syates no require that you take a riders class before you can even apply for a M/C permit. When my son started out he sounded alot like you do. I made him that the class at the local Harley dealer then an advanced class offered by the county. Then I bought his first bike a Ninja 250. He road that for about a year and only laid it down once. A mess of road rash & now the show off is a thing of the past. He traded the Ninja for a Honda CB900? i think. But he does drive alot slower on the bigger bike. Respect the bike, take the time to learn & then enjoy 45 or 60 years on two wheels.
    • 1364 posts
    June 4, 2011 3:20 PM PDT
        First of all Welcome to CycleFish           Saftey first.................  Riding 2 wheels is a lot more then it looks like. You must pay attention at all times in all different directions.... Cages (cars, trucks) Don't see us, You always have to be ready and always leave yourself an out...  Like said before TAKE THE M\\C RIDING CLASS..... That will give you a better idea if 2 wheels is really what you want.... It will give you the basics and open your eyes to what it is like....... Then also you will have a better idea of what type of bike and what type of riding you want to do...  Please keep us as to date as you move foward in the world of 2 wheels.. As far as showing off............ It only takes one mistake and someone is dead.
  • June 4, 2011 4:15 PM PDT
    fearless99 wrote...
    Greetings bikers,

My name is Pat and I'm a wanna-be-biker-poor-college student. I've always wanted to be a biker and now that i am of age and have the capable funds I'm ready to get my FIRST BIKE!

I have some "newbie" questions that i would sincerly appreciate some accurate advice and recomendations.

-My first problem is the fact that i do not know anything about motorcycles!

-My second problem is the MONEY! i have to buy a used bike and i do not know what to look for when i am looking at it and testing it out.
    I know what i want though......i want a crotch rocket that i can fit a girl on the back comfortably. I also want it to be safe, reliable, comfortable,and generally a bike i can show off with (speed, "fast looking",etc.). I've been told that when you get your first bike you have to get a beginners bike,but i have a problem with this. I'm a quick learner and i do not want to buy a beginners bike, have it for a year, and then go and have to sell and buy a new bike for when i get better.  i'm sure i'm not the first person that doesnt want to learn on a beginners bike.

I'm guessing it is like picking out a car......
    -brand name
    -mileage
    -motor problems
    -price
    -reliablility
    -size (not like a car)
    -gas mileage
    -what should i feel for when test riding...
    -those obvious factors that are automatic no-no's (like when you see nice truck you wanna buy and it rides really nice but right before you bbuy it the tell you they "INSTALLED A BRAND NEW ENGINE or IT WAS IN AN ACCIDENT ONCE")

any recomendations and advice would be greatly appreciated. I really want to be a biker, but i have nobody to give me advice and help on the matter.

Thank you so much,

-Pat

Glad to hear that you want to be a "biker" Pat. Have to agree with all the rest, and I'm sure you won't like it, but take the basic riders course before you do much of anything. Your statement, "i want a crotch rocket that i can fit a girl on the back comfortably. I also want it to be safe, reliable, comfortable,and generally a bike i can show off with (speed, "fast looking",etc.). I've been told that when you get your first bike you have to get a beginners bike,but i have a problem with this." , actually is a scary one. It smacks of trouble, so remember, you know you must stay within your means, but PLEASE ride within your ability range. If you want to "show off" do it on a track, NOT on the road and NOT with a passenger on the bike.  You say you havent owned a bike before, so you have a learning curve to begin with. But a passenger, espically an inexperienced one, changes the whole picture. As said above, you WILL put it down, hopefully fairly gently, and I hope all you experience is some road rash. I could go on and on, but I will only offer the following: Buy your own admission, you will be a newbie rider. Rember, children learn to walk by taking baby steps, not by sprinting. You should do the same with your first bike.

• 3006 posts
    June 4, 2011 4:35 PM PDT
    Hey Pat,
    Do a lot of research,frequent websites where people who ride those "crotch rockets" can set ya straight on the pro's & con's of the different types of sportbikes you might be looking at.Also you can get an idea of the different sorts of riding styles that folks use for riding those types of bikes.
    Its great you have a strong desire to ride ,yet dont burn yourself out riding a bike that is way beyond your skill level,not only can it sour the experience,it could cause ya some major pain.For example about 2 months ago some guy just like you bought a bike across town,a crotch rocket..lol..love that nicname..anyway he went about 8 blocks before he stacked her into a wall and bit it.I figure he had no realization of just how quick a bike can get away from you when ya twist the throttle hard,been there done that myself,riding my older bro's 2 stroke 70 kawi 500,talk about power..!!!
    anyway welcome to the board, hope to hear back from you, I personally think the Ninja 250 would be sufficient bike to ride for at least a couple of years,yet its your choice,find a bike that fits your riding style and you wont be kicking urself down the road.. &
    stay safe n enjoy the ride
  • June 4, 2011 5:42 PM PDT
    I had 1 of those 2 stroke 3 cyl 500 cc kawi, very fast in its day. That bike was fun to ride.
  • June 4, 2011 8:13 PM PDT
     with all the others. BTW showing off in front of a group of experienced riders will amuse them all especially if you do something dumb and almost crash your ride!!! You will impress your date alot more by riding her safely all day long and then dropping her off at her place in one piece. Leave the stunt riding and the showing off to the pros.
    • 19040 posts
    June 4, 2011 10:20 PM PDT
    I can offer no further advice other than what has been said by the many experienced riders ahead of me. I will vehemently agree and expand on the negative comments towards the 'show off' statement.

I will state this as plain and simply as I can.

Young and dumb will get you (or someone else) dead. Motorcyles are not toys and riding is not a video game. Crashes hurt, kill or maim. Showing off while riding is definitely the wrong reason to ride.

I sincerely hope you will be smart and take all the advice given in the previous comments. It has been learned over many years of riding.

Then when you are as old and road experienced as we you can offer the same advise to other new riders.

• June 5, 2011 1:21 AM PDT
    I have to echo almost everyone that commented so far, but I'll add: You scare me!

I sincerely hope you listen to all the things you've been told here. Don't even think of taking a girl for a ride until you have some miles under you and you know how to control the bike, and absolutely take a 2 or 3 day riding course. You get to use someone else's bike, you'll learn a lot about how to ride safely, and you'll know for sure afterwards that it really is what you want.
    • 567 posts
    June 5, 2011 1:27 AM PDT
    All the advice you've been given here is from riders. They know what they are talking about. Riding a motorcycle is GREAT. Its a great lifestyle. Its a great sport. But one little slip and it can prove painful at best and deadly at worst.
  • June 5, 2011 9:52 AM PDT
    Our local HD shop has beginner classes and provides 500cc sport bikes (Buell Blast). I'm sure they aren't the only ones, call or search the internet and find one.

A year ago a newb on a sport bike accelerated at a yellow light - problem - my daughter (in her car) stopped for the yellow light and he wound up under her car. Don't be THAT newb - take a MSF class, be safe and have fun (yes you can do both). BTW - been riding ALL types of bikes for 40+ years, sure wish they'd had classes back then, would have saved a couple of layed down bikes.
  • June 5, 2011 10:25 AM PDT
    just my two cents worth i have to agree with all that has been said previously...i have been riding my own bike for more than 25 years....and i definitely started as a passenger and i have ridden with many different types of riders and some like to show off and others ride with sense.....u should take the safety course to make sure the investment in a bike is what u want....when u come to that conclusion and go forward with it u will love it but do it with common sense when we ride we have to watch out for ourselves as well as the cars and trucks (cages) on the road be safe and enjoy as previously stated be very careful when u have a passenger or she may never ride with you again......been there done that
    • 0 posts
    June 5, 2011 10:41 AM PDT
    Righti-bloody-o time for my 2 bobs worth..Pat old mate over the years I've met alot of young blokes like yourself who want to be "bikers" and shit.Thing is over the years i've buried a few of my mates who had no friggin idea what they were doing and came unstuck in a big way,sometimes fatally.First things first get your bloody head around this.You are most probably gonna die if you want to show off and be a wanker..There are alot of cool fast show off riders,but not alot of old ones.Slow the bloody hell down you have no experience no idea what your getting into and you are gonna need to learn a shitload of new skills in self preservation..You say your a quick learner thats cool just dont learn quickly that black top takes layer of skin off and cars are really bloody hard at 60..Go get some lessons! Go get a bike that you can learn safely on! Go have some fun!CHEERS BOOF
  • June 5, 2011 5:32 PM PDT
    Thank you all for your advice and welcoming me to the board!

I am a Pre-med student at VCU and i am also a volunteer EMT at MCV. Last year, one of my close friends from high school, who was an enthusiastic, adrenaline freak, was "showing off" and speeding down broad st. He crashed into a brick wall going nearly 65 mph close to monroe park. My friends and i were the ones who volunteered to clean the blood and bag him. Believe me when i say i understand that safety and patience is required to enjoy riding on 2 wheels. Unfortunately, many young people, including some that i know, think that as soon as they are on their bike they can handle anything. I am sorry for the lack of detail when I said "show off" and i understand all of those who considered me immature,but i would like to correct my mistake. When i said "show off", i meant LITERALLY, as in show my engine,paint job, sound, etc. I did not mean "show off on the road" because obviously from what my friend taught me......it is a extremely stupid thing. ANYWAYS, so i can get off this topic,....

-Does this M/S course require a bike to participate? also, the DMV manuel says a course is not required, but i would rather take your advice and do the course before i get my learners. Which i was planning on doing tmw haha.

-So i should look for
    * 2 stroke 3 cyl 500 cc kawi
    *Ninja 250

-I am guessing when i say that the ":250", "500", "600" means how powerful the bike is?
    - I still do not know what to look for when buying a used bike....

I'll take your advice and get a beginners bike but what kind of beginners bike would you think i would be able to enjoy for a couple of years? like i said, MONEY is a big issue and i need a bike to learn on but i also need a bike i will be able to enjoy for awhile.

I will start looking for M/S courses in richmond that provide bikes for me tonight! I am totally syked and if all goes well and i enjoy the course and end up buyign a bike i will keep you all updated with pictures and of course, posts on the forum.

Thank you all for you advice and welcoming me to the cyclefish community!
    -Pat

• June 5, 2011 5:40 PM PDT
    Also, when i specified "speed" for my my bike i am looking for, i meant a bike that is made for the road. My parents made a joke and offered to buy me a dirtbike that goes up to 40 mph. I should have been more specific and i apoligize.
    • 19040 posts
    June 5, 2011 11:53 PM PDT
    I am glad to hear you were misunderstood, and not merely reckless. Very Glad. I am not familiar with sport bikes so no real advice there but cruisers I know. here are several mid range 750cc to 1100 cc that will handle highways. And the prices vary as much as the types. Try to find someone who has some mechanical knowledge to go along.

I only know what PA does, and the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) does supply bikes for beginner classes.
  • June 6, 2011 12:38 AM PDT
    The numbers refer to the engine size. A Ninja 250 is a 250cc (cubic centimeters) capacity.

ABSOLUTELY NO 2 STROKE steet bike engines for beginners. They produce waaaaayyyyyyy to much power for any beginner to grasp. Plus they're all vintage and you need to know how to work a wrench before owning one.

Some states, the insurance is dependent on engine size. Usually 700cc is the cut off. This can be a couple hundred dollar a month difference.

ABATE is the safety foundation that provides the teaching, do a simple google search through your local DMV website for more information. Cost average is from $75-500, again, depending on your location.

Helmets are mandatory in some states depending on age or permit requirements. Know the rules first. Buy the safety gear first before you buy a bike. If you can't afford a helmet, gloves, boots at minimum, you can't afford a bike. I'm a huge fan of body armor and full face helmets. My daughter is alive because of them. It's a whole lot cheaper to buy gear than it is to pay for medical co-pays.
  • June 6, 2011 12:56 AM PDT
    Cool Pat. Welcome aboard. Glad to see that we misunderstood. In NC, if you have taken the MC riders course, the DMV waives the motorcycle roadtest given by the DMV. You do still have to tkae the written test though. Can't speak for the other states. The course is not required here either, but no card, you take the road test.

Finding a course should not be a problem. Check a local Harley Shop. Also check any tech community colleges close to you. I took my "refresher" course at my local community college.

Won't give advice on what ya need for the bike as I don't ride the sport bikes. Nothin' wrong with em, just not my thing. As far as a cruiser or starter bike, I would recommend say a 750 for the first year.
    • 2 posts
    June 6, 2011 2:47 AM PDT
    One more opinion:
    * Are you sure you are up to studying medicine & having a motorcycle @ the same time?
    I got one when when I studying to be an engineer & with the compulsion to explore on 2 wheels + keeping the sow running let us say my studies suffered a tad (The girls & the alcohol had nothing to do with it.)

* Yeh, definitely on the MSF course. - Took it after most of 50 years on 2 wheels & found it worthwhile + the one I took had a variety of mounts to select from. - See if you really like the "Rice Rocket" riding position.

* Don't dismiss the thought of a Craig's List special - Buy w/ the understanding it will pass inspection before money changes hands & sell it/junk it when you get bored w/ it or find the ride you really want.
    New or used, motorcycles have more moods & require more care than females - Plan on spending a lot of time working on it.
    • 3006 posts
    June 6, 2011 3:19 AM PDT
    LOL Pat..
    Ok now your making sense!!
    The Ninja 250 its the standard sportbike for any guy any age wanting to start out,unless of course your on the taller/heavier side.
    One important aspect of riding, that is often overlooked in the quest to look cool,the bike has to fit you,it has to feel like it is comfotable to ride,easy to manuever,and doesnt wear ya out just sitting on it after 20 minutes,if your going to put your sweetheart on the back,make sure it has decent passenger seating.
    Oh yeah n make sure before the lady gets on the back that they have some idea of how to ride with you as a passenger,if she & you dont have such experience,practice in a large empty parking lot,mounting & dismounting the bike,braking and hard braking,lean & leaning situations,also the all important signal,lets take a quick pit stop here !I have been riding for over 30 years,never took any riding courses,yet I also grew up around & learned from some of the best motocross & street riders in the SF bay area..the course for you could help a lot & I would highly recommend it !
    Most important of all WEAR A HELMET AT ALL TIMES !!!!! I cant stress this enough for new riders,bsides protecting your head,it also is great for keeping pesky critters,like wasps bee's & assorted other stingers away from your face!!
    stay safe n enjoy the ride !!!