New biker

• May 8, 2011 11:11 AM PDT
    Well this is my first bike and my second wife! Both are awesome, we are wanting to get headsets that allow us to talk to each other while riding and if possibe able to use my iphone with headset if possible when I ride alone back and forth to work.

Please share your knowledge, Thank you in advance!

Our bike is a 2000 Yamaha V-Star just FYI
    • 5420 posts
    May 8, 2011 11:25 AM PDT
    Welcome Jim... Congats on both!!!
    • 1516 posts
    May 8, 2011 12:45 PM PDT
    Welcome to Cyclefish...
  • May 8, 2011 1:28 PM PDT
    glad to see this site
    • 567 posts
    May 8, 2011 3:08 PM PDT
    Greetings from the Sunshine State and welcome to CF.
    I can't speak to the use of any kind of comm device. Joyce & I just chat back and forth over the street noise. I've kinda looked at some of them. But they ain't cheap and I am. LOL
  • May 8, 2011 4:21 PM PDT
    Welcome from Montana. I have not purchased one as yet..cheap like Bill lol, but Dennis Kirk sells one called the Scala Rider(sp?) which I thought looked good.Mal and I ride our own bikes so if we need to talk I just pull up next to her and yell lol! Stuff like why did you turn there? You missed out turn off lol. Good luck and welcome again.
    • 0 posts
    May 8, 2011 4:32 PM PDT
    Gday from Queensland Australia mate.I gotta lot of mates who take their missus's on the back with them and they all say the same thing.INTERCOM IS THE WORST THING THEY EVER BOUGHT! Wanna stay married dont talk especially when your riding.Marni and I have our own bikes and we talk when we stop for bloody fuel..That works really bloody well for us..CHEERS BOOF
  • May 9, 2011 2:04 AM PDT
    Sorry I can't help with the com. equipment. There seems to be a lot available. Maybe check with your telephone provider about one button family talk and headsets. Long time ago I was ridding double with full helmets, She head butted me and pointed with her fingers crossed to an exit. With my ears ringing I wasn't ready to get another notice with more fingers crossed. I got the message and asked for a point only the next time.
  • May 9, 2011 2:26 AM PDT
    Before I got my bike my hubby and I had the same problem. We tried high end 2-way radios equiped w/headsets. But what we encountered was that the radio is noise activated so they were always on with the noise from our pipes! LOL!
    Have you thoughr of full helmets? They are pricey but it could work.
    • 16819 posts
    May 9, 2011 5:20 AM PDT
    Hello from Pennsylvania's north coast.

I myself don't like to yap while riding. My Ultra had the whole works, CD, Radio, CB, Intercom, what have you.
    I hardly used any of it except the weather band, and the AM for road conditions.

A weird story, when the electric grid went down here in the North East a few years ago, I, like a lot of folks were stuck nearly out of gas. I was at a truck stop off I-90. So I searched for a radio station that was on air, found one from Canada.They were reporting on what was happening, I had a crowd gathered around my bike.
    The Burger King gave away what food they had cooked seeing it would have got ruined.
    A biker that lived down the road from the truck stop saw the crowd around my bike and stopped, he went home and brought me 5 Gal. of gas, he wouldn't take any money for it, and then I rode home.

So what started as a bad deal ended up as a neat departure.
  • May 9, 2011 5:25 AM PDT
    Welcome from North Carolina. Myself, I prefer the solitude of a full helmet, but that's just me.LOL. Enjoy the site. Ride Safe!!
    • 846 posts
    May 9, 2011 7:14 AM PDT
    Welcome from Massachusetts, I perfer not to talk to a passager that's on my bike. With the windsheild on I can hear them fine and they can hear me. But remember it is a destraction from riding and keeps you from paying attention to all the cages around you. Safe riding and welcome again
  • May 9, 2011 7:32 AM PDT
    Welcome from Jackson, MS
    • 19028 posts
    May 10, 2011 12:17 AM PDT
    Congrats on both. As to the iphone and riding. Just my opinion but man one of the reasons I ride is to get away and un-connect. I turn the damn phone off. Plus you do not need that distraction. Since my voice is limited in volume I have a group of hand signals for basic communicating based on the ASL standards. I save the chatting for the pillow. HA
  • May 10, 2011 12:57 AM PDT
    Welcome to CycleFish. I see you have the same bike I have ... how do you like it? First thing you should spend money on isn't intercoms, it's a new seat ... trust me, if that is the stock Yamaha seat you're not gonna go far!

I see by your profile you live in CT ... maybe we'll bump into each other some time if we can get a East Coast CF meeting going.
  • May 10, 2011 1:59 AM PDT
    Welcome. I have been married for 33 years and... to the same lady. Part of the credit for staying married is the long rides where we only talk when stopped and I bet she would say the same.
  • May 10, 2011 2:21 PM PDT
    thank all of you for your responses, I like this new world of bikers it's cool!

Is there a bikers code of some sort?

We want to make sure we are safe and responsible bikers, I'm going to be taking my mandatory 2 day schooling which is a very good thing might as well start this new chapter of our life on the right note!

Once again thank all of you for your feedback!
    • 3006 posts
    May 10, 2011 4:19 PM PDT
    Congrats on the new ride & joining the site the friendly people here make this site what it is,a good place to pick up some tips,hints & new friends who will be more than ready to offer advice on everything from headsets to what sort of rubber to ride on,and where to find those outta the way rides,that leave ya hungry for more..!

A riding friend of mine years back,gave me his almost new inhelmet to helmet radio setup,tried it once with my better half at the time and sold it two weeks later.We both agreed,even with the FM stereo quality sound,it was just a lot easier for her give a poke or a well placed pat to git my attention to talk,and it detracted from the ride experience,yet each to their own,I hope you find something that works for the both of you.
    Stay safe n enjoy the Ride !
  • May 13, 2011 12:27 PM PDT
    Welcome from North Carolina!

What's an iphone? Is a headset a brand of helmet?
    • 2 posts
    May 13, 2011 1:56 PM PDT
    Welcome from South Central NY

Conduct a walk around inspection of wife & motorcycle before every ride, do all maintenance on schedule & try not to crash either of them.
  • May 13, 2011 2:41 PM PDT
    Welcome from NW Washington. We rarely talk unless we're stopped, its really works for us.