Sturgis 2011, Never been during bike week, any suggestion?

• May 4, 2011 8:32 AM PDT
    I am thinking of attending bike week in Sturgis this year and am looking for any suggestions on places to stay or not to stay, or anything else we should know.
    • 5420 posts
    May 4, 2011 8:55 AM PDT
    Really depends on what you're looking for in your Sturgis adventure...

As far as places to stay - you can pretty much pick from primitive camping to renting a large house just outside of town. If you want to be in the center of the partying, then one of the major campsites is the place to be. They are all close to town so you can get to Downtown Sturgis for all the vendors, etc..and they all have there own brand of party.  For hotels and motels, probably not going to find much right in Sturgis - so if that's what you're looking for you will need to stay just outside.

Campgrounds...

The Buffalo Chip is the largest and most established, but also the most expensive. There is no doubt the entertainment is the best in Sturgis with only TOP name bands. But if you're not going to take advantage all the concerts, then the price is really not worth it in my opinion.

The 2nd most famous is Glencoe Camp - Just down the road and a lot less expensive. They still party, just with out the big name bands. They do offer a little nicer camping (especially for tents) with grass and shade. Their big claim to fame in the infamous "Titty Alley".  I have also heard they just installed a large swimming pool for this year.

Then there is the Broken Spoke Campground. A relative new comer to Sturgis camping, but the Broken Spoke Saloon in downtown Sturgis has long been a favorite spot for many. They have decent entertainment and their claim to fame is "The World Largest Biker Swimming Pool". I haven't been there myself, but many of our CycleFish friends we were camping with at the Buffalo Chip last year headed over during the days to swim, and all had nothing but great things to say about the place.

As far as the rest of Sturgis... you'll need to get downtown at least once (then after dealing with the traffic you'll never want to go back. You will definitely want to get over to the Full Throttle Saloon - World's Largest Biker Bar. They have some good shows over there and it's usually a good time. Then go check out all the rest of the bars... Broken Spoke, One-Eyed Jacks, Knuckles, etc... each one has its one unique style and all are a good time.

And of course be sure to take a few days to ride the beautiful Black Hills and check out the sites.
    • 19028 posts
    May 5, 2011 1:34 AM PDT
    Well put Lucky, and I will add every rider should do Sturgis at least once but expect lines and higher prices for everything. If it is riding the Black Hill then I suggest going a month before or three weeks after. Not much in partying but reasonable rates and still great scenery and riding.
    • 1516 posts
    May 5, 2011 2:08 AM PDT
    The only thing I really have to add it, take the back streets as much as possible, going straight thru town and traffic is annoying and HOT.

Also, search the entertainment and places available to go before you get there and have a plan so that you can take in all that you want to.

Then just party party party.. and watch out of Auzzies who show up, they become fast friends that you will miss for the rest of the year!!!
    • 16819 posts
    May 5, 2011 5:03 AM PDT
    I've been there 3 times, camped the first 2 times, stayed in a motel the last.
    I'll admit being busted up a bunch over the years It was nice to have a bed under me, my own toilet, and shower after ridding there from NW Pennsylvania.
  • May 8, 2011 3:13 AM PDT
    Don't be afraid to stay in one of the smaller camp grounds, their cheaper and some even have some real nice local music that is free. We stay at the Ironhorse campground all the time because of this. Remember you can always buy a pass to the Chip if there is a band you want to see or if you just want to hang out. Warning is this!! They bring every cop in the state to sturgis So posted 35 in town means 35 ok, have fun and be safe.
    • 0 posts
    May 8, 2011 8:44 AM PDT
    Well as one of the fore mentioned Aussies.My first impression was "Shit how bloody big is this joint". The Buffalo Chip was bloody huge,If you stay there and camp find a place that aint to bloody dusty with a shitter close by.We had a ball and hung with all the cyclefish crew.Most everything you want is in the campgrounds.When we went into town we took the party bus that drops you off right in the action.You gotta get to Deadwood that place rocks and aint as hectic as Sturgis.We got rooms in Deadwood for about 60 bucks a night that were bloody good after the dust.Its pretty bloody simple,Sturgis is like spring break for grown ups and you make what you can of it.We made life long friends there and cant wait to catch up again this year and many years to come..Marni and I had no plans except that we would get to Deadwood for at least one night when we left.The rest we made up on the spot and that worked out bloody cool for us.CHEERS BOOF

• May 15, 2011 9:38 AM PDT
    wheels wrote...
    Don't be afraid to stay in one of the smaller camp grounds, their cheaper and some even have some real nice local music that is free. We stay at the Ironhorse campground all the time because of this. Remember you can always buy a pass to the Chip if there is a band you want to see or if you just want to hang out. Warning is this!! They bring every cop in the state to sturgis So posted 35 in town means 35 ok, have fun and be safe.

And about those STOP signs...

They do mean STOP.

Two feet down is safest unless you want to contribute to the Sturgis Municipal Deficit Relief Fund.
  • May 16, 2011 2:15 PM PDT
    if ya go the week before and stay around Deadwood you can get all the rides in before it gets to bad I like Wild Bills campground than the week of the rally I move to Glencoe campground for the party
  • May 16, 2011 3:40 PM PDT
    bullmoose wrote...
    if ya go the week before and stay around Deadwood you can get all the rides in before it gets to bad I like Wild Bills campground than the week of the rally I move to Glencoe campground for the party
     I agree w Bullmoose...we stay at Glencoe and it is a blast! Far as riding goes...get there early and enjoy!
  • May 16, 2011 10:33 PM PDT
    Here's a must for that hot weather riding, you'll only leave the house once without it....
    • 1516 posts
    May 17, 2011 2:09 AM PDT
    I don't think I can afford to go this year, Unless something wonderful happens! I love the party and the friends you meet there!
  • May 23, 2011 8:52 AM PDT
    We live 15 miles from Sturgis, in Spearfish. Let me know what accomodations you have in mind and maybe I can help. Campground, hotel, house, etc. There are a few websites that list accomodations too, like SturgisRally.com. One last thing about the Buffalo Chip, if you buy a wristband for a concert you can stay the night there too. Very nice in case you want to have a few drinks. There are transportation companies like Da Bus and the Deadwood Trolly too. Good luck!