Any Gatlinburg, TN members on here???.....

• 114 posts
    May 3, 2011 2:49 PM PDT
    Okay CF family.... I made plans to ride with some friends to Gatlinburg, TN  May 21 and return on May 25.   Life got in the way as it often does, and now I am the only one going on this bike trip.  I will be traveling solo  on my bike and would love to meet some friendly Cyclefish members along the way.  I'd love to hear from some who live near Gatlinburg or know of great roads to ride in the area.   I have a place to stay and some tentative plans (one day of my trip I will be riding "the Dragon", one evening I will partake at the Dixie Stampede, and I will absolutely visit "Ole Smokey TN Moonshine Distillery" --- Imagine that!  ).  There are several great roads near "the Dragon" that I may ride while in the area.  Just thought I'd get the "local" opinion or opinions of those who have "been there - done that".  
    Thanks Y'all !!!!  
    Carrie 
    • 19046 posts
    May 4, 2011 12:45 AM PDT
    Have a great ride Carrie, you deserve it. Wish schedules could be different.
    • 1516 posts
    May 4, 2011 1:56 AM PDT
    Well Carrie, it appears we have 268 members in TN, so I think if you keep at them long enough for them to see this post, you should have some takers.
    • 277 posts
    May 4, 2011 3:31 AM PDT
    I want to go! I love TN.........
    • 114 posts
    May 4, 2011 3:34 PM PDT
    Laura - you are certainly invited..... I think you're a southern girl at heart.
    DebraJo - I sure hope they will respond....
    I just refigured my route.... Going the pretty backroads - 413 miles a little over 9 hours according to mapquest. Obviously I had to build my route step by step to get it like I wanted....
    Remember.... All who wander are NOT lost.....
    • 114 posts
    May 4, 2011 3:38 PM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Have a great ride Carrie, you deserve it. Wish schedules could be different.

Me too, Mike..... But no worries - I'll let you ride along next time!!!  lol.....
    • 19046 posts
    May 5, 2011 1:25 AM PDT
    GEE thanks. Seriously.
  • May 5, 2011 1:52 AM PDT
    It has been now 6 yrs since I and my parents visited for a week in april. Presummer invasion with good prices. lots of shops to tour and at that time of year some really great prices on clearance items. Was in a forty foot motorhome so didn't do the dragon. Internet bing or google can fill a lot of your time until you begin your trip. 6,820,000 topics for Gatlinburg, Tn on bing this morning. Have a wonderful time and for those who may join in best get your lodging soon.......
    • 114 posts
    May 6, 2011 3:11 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    GEE thanks. Seriously.

Okay Mike... don't get testy!!    You know I like ya....  and would love to have you along for the ride....  but I understand - THIS TIME...
    • 114 posts
    May 6, 2011 3:14 AM PDT
    Thanks, Howard.  I try to spend a little time every day checking out things to do..... 
    • 114 posts
    May 6, 2011 9:09 AM PDT
    Okay folks.... Guess there is no one from eastern TN on here......
    • 1 posts
    May 7, 2011 1:01 AM PDT
    Hey Carrie, just to let ya know MDBikerGal and I will be in Maggie Valley for the last week of June, maybe we could hook up for a ride.
    • 114 posts
    May 7, 2011 8:35 PM PDT
    Hi Steven, sounds good. I'm scheduled to be off that week also. Thought about a couple of overnights then. I love Maggie Valley, but I haven't made it up there in what seems like a hundred years.
    • 19046 posts
    May 8, 2011 3:02 AM PDT
    Watch out for that Steven, he likes to go fast hahha
    • 1 posts
    May 8, 2011 11:40 AM PDT
    Great... LeVere and I will be looking forward in getting together and ride
    • 114 posts
    May 15, 2011 11:30 PM PDT
    Okay, I'm starting to get a complex here people! No one wants to ride along for a ways or even make suggestions? Can't believe that no one from TN or even Western NC has posted anything..... Maybe y'all don't want to talk to me, but hey I shower everyday and I promise not to .... well forget I started that one... anyways, I'm a nice person... Mike can attest to that..... Right, Mike??? Mike? Hey where are you ???
    • 19046 posts
    May 16, 2011 12:00 AM PDT
    Yes Carrie is a sweet biker chick. I will attest!
    Carrie, We will be on the road Wed AM unless something drastic happens. Heading west with a few stops in Ohio and Iowa so far. Then to the Redwood Run. YEAH!

Sad to see so few hits for this forum, I would love to go if not otherwise committed. (everyone has told me I should be committed)
    • 114 posts
    May 16, 2011 12:24 AM PDT
    Thank you, Mike! Glad you're almost underway.... Enjoy the ride ! I wish you were able to ride along with me also; I understand though. No you should not be committed... in that way !! LOL...
  • May 21, 2011 2:31 AM PDT
    Before being exiled to Jackson, MS, I lived in Townsend, TN.

My favorite ride is to "loop" the National Park. From Gatlinburg, take 321 up through Wears Valley, back through Townsend and over to Walland and catch the Foothills Parkway south to 129, cut across the Dragon through Deals Gap and back over to Bryson City. Catch 441 back up through New Found Gap and across to Gatlinburg.

You can grab lunch at Deat Beat Pete's in Townsend, at Deals Gap, or in Bryson City. Have fun.
    • 114 posts
    May 23, 2011 8:57 AM PDT
    Thanks, James! Don't know how much riding I'll get in while here.... Bad storms... yesterday we had hail and strong winds, and serious downpours..
    • 19046 posts
    May 24, 2011 1:28 AM PDT
    Hope you are having a good time anyway Carrie.
    • 114 posts
    May 26, 2011 8:03 PM PDT
    It may be silly, but I'm really proud that I did this. One thing on my "bucket list" was a long distance bike trip. I didn't necessarily want to do it alone, but that's just the way it worked out. Eighteen months ago I didn't even own a bike and I think I've come a long way. I got some awesome pictures during my trip and can't wait to share them.  Last Friday afternoon I left home about 6pm and spent the night in Stuart, VA. Yes, I know that's not very far; but remember my day started at 3 am, then I worked 9 hours, came home, packed, and then stopped to see a friend. Sat morning I started out at 830 and after a wonderful day of driving thru some gorgeous country I arrived in Pigeon Forge at 530pm. I used the local trolley system and toured Gatlinburg on Sunday. Ripley's Aquarium is the best aquarium that I have ever visited. After visiting the Moonshine Distillery, I didn't know Apple Pie Moonshine existed, but I now know that I like it!!  When I return (and I will), it will not be in the spring - my allergies were on overdrive!  Monday I visited Titanic. Wow!!  Absolutely amazing.....   On Tuesday, I rode about 1.5 hours to THE DRAGON!!!!!  Yes, I rode the infamous Dragon ---  318 curves in 11 miles.  No stops, no stalls, no falls, no drops!!!!   I am proud!!  Then ate lunch at the cafe and rode back up the Dragon and headed back to the hotel.  Soon as Killboy gets the photos posted, I will share. The views are spectacular!!!  I left Pigeon Forge, TN at 1030 Wednesday morning and after gas stops, more than a few photo ops, and stopping to see my Mom (having dinner with her), I got home about 830 Wed night. 379 miles and about 6.5 hours actual driving time.
    Now, my "payback" for this wonderful trip -  I have to work all weekend, including the holiday on Monday.
    But, that's ok.....
    Thanks for letting me share this...............  afterall, I had to tell my CF family!!!

I am now a   Lady Dragon Slayer!!!!!!

• 19046 posts
    May 26, 2011 11:50 PM PDT

Congrats to you Carrie.
    • 114 posts
    May 27, 2011 9:55 AM PDT
    Thanks, Mike! You helped encourage me along the way......
  • May 31, 2011 12:16 PM PDT
    Congrats. I am glad you had a good time.