Sportster Streetfighter build.

• 513 posts
    January 31, 2011 1:21 AM PST
    This is my old sporty that is getting re-vamped as a streetfighter.
    This bike has gone back and forth between me and a friend of mine, has been in many guises but this is probably going to be its most interesting.
    Will keep you posted as it progresses.

• 19037 posts
    January 31, 2011 2:05 AM PST
    Keep photos coming...
    • 513 posts
    January 31, 2011 2:56 AM PST
    Will do, we butchered a Buell Z1 Lightening for it's running gear. The rest of the buell is destined for a hardtail chop....seventies style!
    I have a king sporty tank with an aircraft filler for this and am waiting on a alloy box section swingarm with concentric adjusters, once I have that I can decide on which way the whole seat and back end will look.
    • 5420 posts
    January 31, 2011 3:00 AM PST
    Very cool. can't wait to see pictures of the Buell Hardtail Chopper when you get that under way.
    • 513 posts
    January 31, 2011 3:03 AM PST
    The buell chop will be next winter, it is on the long finger for the moment......to much other stuff to do.
    But I must admit if I can realize what is in my head it will be cool alright.
    • 9 posts
    January 31, 2011 3:58 AM PST
    Looks like a good start, will be fun watching as you go.
    • 16828 posts
    January 31, 2011 4:04 AM PST
    Cool!
    I'm messing around with an old Iron Head Sporty from the 70's.
    The frame was tweaked in a wreak, I've cut out the unrepairable sections.
    I will be using parts I've got from some of my unfinished projects, and build everything else.
    • 513 posts
    January 31, 2011 6:40 PM PST
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    Cool!
    I will be using parts I've got from some of my unfinished projects, and build everything else.

That sounds good
  • January 31, 2011 9:22 PM PST
    Dyna sounds like your like me I build the bike in my mind way before I even start
    • 16828 posts
    February 1, 2011 4:33 AM PST
    Dyna wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    Cool!

That sounds good

I'l take some photos today (after I shovel my way to the garage) and put them on my profile.

• 2 posts
    February 2, 2011 1:24 AM PST
    This will be a MOTORCYCLE & exactly what attracted me to the breed

but

Wish you had not tweaked a Buell, that is a motorcycle straight out of the box - Please tell me it was a basket case
    • 513 posts
    February 4, 2011 1:59 AM PST
    Yep, we butchered the buell, it was leaking oil in several spots, had been well abused, but it had what I needed and has provided me with another motor to play with.
    • 513 posts
    February 4, 2011 2:02 AM PST
    bullmoose wrote...
    Dyna sounds like your like me I build the bike in my mind way before I even start

Absolutely Is there any other way

I find if you don't have a plan, you just bumble along and never achieve anything.
    • 1161 posts
    February 5, 2011 10:02 AM PST
    Very cool! 

Maby we need a chat for people rebuilding / building bikes?   Just a thought. 
    • 513 posts
    February 5, 2011 9:49 PM PST
    Yesterday we started to pull the sporty apart to get everything ready for the powder coater.
    I have worked on this bike so many times for more years than I car to remember it is like coming back to an old love that re-ignites the flame as to why I started building bikes in the first place.

• February 6, 2011 1:48 PM PST
    Cool,cant wait to see how she progresses!
    • 844 posts
    February 11, 2011 3:18 AM PST
    Hey you done with that thing yet!!!

Just kidd'n.
    • 513 posts
    February 20, 2011 4:50 AM PST
    This box section KJ swingarm arrived during the week and I got on with the stripping of the motot for some more gofast goodies

• 16828 posts
    February 23, 2011 3:32 PM PST
    Cool swingarm. :-)
  • May 10, 2011 3:37 PM PDT
    How about an update on the build!
    • 513 posts
    September 21, 2011 12:29 AM PDT
    This will be back on the bench as of from tomorrow so will keep you updated as it progresses from there.
    • 16828 posts
    September 21, 2011 4:58 AM PDT
    Sweet!
    • 1161 posts
    September 22, 2011 9:22 PM PDT
    Right on!
    • 14 posts
    September 3, 2012 6:16 AM PDT
    So, in the first post, I see a Sportster with a Green frame and tank and another Sportster with a Maroon frame and tank.

Are you building the Green one and using the Maroon one (along with the Buell) for parts? You probably stated that somewhere, but I missed it.

If that swingarm doesn't work for you, I'd imagine an XR1200 swingarm would be much less and fit in there easier. Just FYI.
    • 7 posts
    September 3, 2012 8:40 AM PDT
    Great stuff!! Thanks for sharing... Love the pics... and I envy your shop :-)