Vandals cut down shoe tree on Highway 50

• January 7, 2011 10:08 AM PST
    This has probably already been posted and I missed it, but just in case.....here it is.  Highway 50 is the "Loneliest Road in America"  Popular amoungst the motorcycle community Long riders.

www.rgj.com/article/20110105/NEWS/101050379/1321/news/Vandals-cut-down-Shoe-Tree />

• 5420 posts
    January 7, 2011 10:19 AM PST
    Ok, that just sucks that someone would do that for no reason what-so-ever.  Guess I just never could understand how someone gets a kick out of destroying something that isn't theirs just for the heck of it.

We too have a shoe tree in our area - it's just outside the mountain resort town of Big Bear, and I know I enjoy going past there year after year to see how the "shoe collection" has grown.  I just always forget to bring a pair of shes to contribute, and I sure as heck aint gonna throw my boots up there and ride home bare-foot
  • January 7, 2011 11:24 AM PST
    Be nice if one of us came along and saw them.
  • January 8, 2011 12:18 AM PST
    It's a shame, guess someone has been trying to do that for a while.
    • 19049 posts
    January 8, 2011 12:47 AM PST
    Why the hell do people just create destruction and feel it is funny. A 2x4 across the face might be justified.
    • 1 posts
    January 8, 2011 11:16 AM PST
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Why the hell do people just create destruction and feel it is funny. A 2x4 across the face might be justified.

Mike; use a 2X4 cut from the shoe tree,  now that would be justice.
    • 1161 posts
    January 9, 2011 3:04 PM PST
    Steven wrote...
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...

Mike; use a 2X4 cut from the shoe tree,  now that would be justice.

• 601 posts
    January 9, 2011 8:17 PM PST
    I saw one of these "shoe trees" on the way in to Seligman Arizona a while back, I don't understand the meaning (if any) of these trees, I know in Ireland if you threw a shoe into a tree you would be slapped with a $200 fine for littering. Is there some meaning to these shoe trees, or is it just a wee bit of fun ?
    • 467 posts
    January 10, 2011 1:22 PM PST
    We, too, have a shoe tree on 585 between Sundance and 4 Corners and I would hate to see what would happen to the person one of the ranchers on that road caught tryin' to damage it!
    • 19049 posts
    January 11, 2011 1:05 AM PST
    Neil, I am not sure when that started but it began in cities where kids would throw there used sneakers with laces tied together over power or telephone lines. There are several purported meanings:

* They are the shoes of a friend lost to violence thrown up in a memorial near their place of death.
    * Signifies that drugs are sold at that location
    * Marks gang territory
    * You have bullies in your area and they took another kids shoes for a game of keep away.
    * Someone got a new pair of tennies and just thought of a way to get rid of the old ones.

When I was a kid (yeah it has been done for that long) it meant the last item on the list.

• 580 posts
    January 11, 2011 1:39 AM PST

Mike - we didn't do it with shoes, but in the early 70's you often found these (Clackers) hanging over telephone lines or in tree branches.  Think I lost at least 3 sets that way