Harley Davidson Brake Pads - Stock or Aftermarket

• November 15, 2010 5:29 AM PST
    I was cusrious to know what everyone uses and thinks about replacement brake pads for Harley.  I have always just gone to the local dealer and bought stock replacement pads, but a lot of people tell me there are much better pads that stop better and last longer.

All input is appreciated!
    • 5417 posts
    November 15, 2010 5:54 AM PST
    I have been running the LBR (Lyndall Racing Brake) from Lyndall on my last two Road Kings and I love them.  They stop much better then the stock Harley Davison brake pads, and last about the same.  I normally get 15-20,000 miles on my front brakes, and I think I only replaced my back brakes two or three times in almost 200,000 miles on my two Road Kings (don't use back brakes much).  I am the type that starts slowing doen long before I come up to a light or stop sign, coasting in and using the brakes just before I put my feet down - yeah I ride like an old man... because I am!  But the times I have had to grab a handful of brake in an emergency stop, they work just like I want them to.

I have been hearing and reading a lot of good things about EBC brakes motorcycle brake pads, but since I have no personal experience with them hopefully someone who has tried them can give us some input.
    • 19004 posts
    November 15, 2010 8:36 AM PST
    I have pretty much used stock replacements most of my riding years. But I have heard ( here I think) and read in 'Bagger' about the composite pads. I keep threatening to go to them but haven't yet since they require matching rotors. That will get real pricey. And Lucky, like you I slow long before stopping, actually I make a game of it trying to not have to put my feet down. PO's some cagers behind me but if they are not to close to me who cares.
    • 1 posts
    November 15, 2010 1:11 PM PST
    As Rex said for the most part the stock Harley Davidson brakes work pretty well for stopping your Harley. I don't think they would skimp in an area that could cause major law suits

But for those who do want a little more stopping power, the LBR from Lyndall are outstanding brake pads. I run them on my street bikes and know a lot of guys who race that swear by them.
  • November 16, 2010 12:11 PM PST
    I use ECB pads and have had no issue. Make note that during the 'bedin' period or first 100 miles it takes a bit longer to stop. but after that no problems.
  • November 17, 2010 6:14 AM PST
    When I bought my streetglide back in 07 I purchased the extended warranty and everytime that I hear about a part or a addiditive that other members like I always worry about breaking my warranty. The warranty is about 4 pages long and half of that is how you can void the warranty. Im just waiting to try all of your great ideas. ill think twice next time before I buy another extended warranty, maybe next time ill just get the road hazard warranty because this is all I have needed so far. Sorry off topic a bit but wanted to know what others in this situation think or have done. Thanks Wheels
    • 844 posts
    November 18, 2010 7:12 AM PST
    I have run LRB the last two brake changes. When I do grab hard they do seem to work really well. But I too try not to stop hard if I can avoid it.

Wheels, not sure if the brake pads would effect the extended warranty. As far as I know brakes aren't covered anyway.
  • November 22, 2010 2:33 PM PST
    Been using factory replacement pads since 1965 and never had a problem with them.
  • February 9, 2011 1:12 AM PST
    Just make sure you keep an eye on your brake pads no matter what you use! They all wear, some in their own time, some prematurely and some just shouldn't be sold to the public. I will not name any names but HD pads work just fine, it's more the stock brake calipers that are the culprit, I don't how many I have had to take a thousanth out of the piston so they would seat correctly. A lot of times I am finding that the pistons are extending and not retracting. So be aware of that problem, don't want any of you paying a bunch of money and rolling the dice on your lives because it's not actually pad related but a caliper issue.
  • February 9, 2011 2:39 AM PST
    i just turned 12k on mine, in need of front pads, I ride like i am still on a rocket but i do love my harley, i am putting the stock ones back on for no other reason than the last set did just fine, why mess with what worked, i never hit anything so they stopped me.
  • February 9, 2011 11:31 AM PST
    With stock rotors, probably best bet is stock pads. There are a ton of choices in upgraded rotors, and each different type has its own preferences in matching pads. I'm running Russel stainless rotors with Hawk organics. I prefer a soft pad that works hard, even if I have to replace them more often. Best bet is to ask your rotor people what type of pads they suggest.

As far as warranty voiding goes (someone posted above) check out the Magnus Act. In short, you can do whatever you want by whomever you want. Catch is that you must do the 1,000 mile break-in service at HD. After that its your choice. In short, the company has to prove that what YOU did was the casue of the failure.