Time to get out the thermals

• 567 posts
    October 11, 2010 1:27 AM PDT
    It must be WINTER in Florida !!! The daily highs are only getting up into the lower 90s.
    Headed to Biketoberfest on Thursday. And, I'm guessing that there'll be lots of skimpy outfits on the members of the opp sex. Yep. Bikini tops and suntan lotion. Good sights.
    • 580 posts
    October 11, 2010 3:32 AM PDT
    SolarBill wrote...
    It must be WINTER in Florida !!! The daily highs are only getting up into the lower 90s.
    Headed to Biketoberfest on Thursday. And, I'm guessing that there'll be lots of skimpy outfits on the members of the opp sex. Yep. Bikini tops and suntan lotion. Good sights.

Thanks Solarbill for making me jealous!!     We had a rare autumn lovely day here yesterday - temp around 70 and very sunny.  Decent today too but a good 10-15 degrees colder and possible frost forecast tonight.  Cloud and rain forecast for even later in the week.  We're definitely well and truly into our changeable autumn here now and not many good days for riding left I reckon.   You'll only see us gals wrapped up in our thick chunky gloves, snoods and thermals I'm afraid.

DO enjoy your Biketoberfest and don't forget to put up the pics so we can all see what we're missing. 

Big hugs
    • 580 posts
    October 12, 2010 8:05 AM PDT
    Been out for a few hours after work tonight and it's taken me an hour and two good measures of whisky to thaw out. What a change in the air since Sunday. Been sunny here all day so couldn't resist a blast after being stuck in the office all day. Been up to the Dales and over to Clitheroe - lovely scenery and great roads - all the better because in the evening there isn't usually much traffic about.

Worst thing about coming home in the dark though was the double steam up - both my visor AND my glasses every time I had to stop at junctions or traffic lights!!!!!! I really must get an anti fog visor methinks.

Frost forecast for overnight too so it's gonna get colder - brrrrrrrrrrrr (o:
  • October 12, 2010 8:48 AM PDT
    You need a Winter Snowmobile helmet with a breath cone... Keeps the face shield and glasses clear and the helmet drier also. Works great ever to subzero temps..
    • 580 posts
    October 12, 2010 9:43 AM PDT
    Had a cone shield in my helmet when I bought it that went over my nose presumably to deflect the breath down and out the bottom but I took it out. Forgot all about it so might have to dig it out and give it a go - thanks. However, I certainly ain't gonna be riding in sub zero temps - too much of a woos for that lol

Big hug (o:
  • October 15, 2010 6:36 AM PDT
    Whilst on this subject, if you ever get caught freezing to death while riding, stop by a pharmacy or wal-mart and pick up a pack of "Thermo-care Heat wraps" I got up in the Cascade mountains of Oregon in January, thinking I could handle it and damn near froze to death. I bought two boxes of these things, wrapped my mid section, chest & each leg under my rainsuit. When I got back to my hotel that night they were still warm. Saved my ass! Just a tip for those that get stuck on the road in the cold! Lot's cheaper than an electric suit you never use!
    • 846 posts
    October 15, 2010 8:33 AM PDT
    Well it getting colder here in the Northeast corner. Fighting the use of the thermals, but the chaps have been used once so far (anything in the 40s). Brett thank for the idea of the thermo-care wraps. You don’t know how many times the worst part was trying to warm up by body core after a cold ride. It not so much the cold it’s when it sinks into the bones and core that take hours after to get out. Still it’s not bad here once this rain here stops it looks to be a good riding weekend and it is a great time of year here with the trees turning color (50s-maybe 60). For those of you in the warmer climate yes it still enjoyable at that temperature. My line is somewhere in the 30’s.
    For those of you in the southern region of the country with year round riding yes were envious of you. So much so I’ll relocate to the south west at some point in my life so I can join the year round ranks.
    Till then the chaps and sweatshirt are in the saddlebags the liners zipped in and riding goes on.
    • 58 posts
    October 20, 2010 5:33 AM PDT
    Daytime temps still in 80's, nights down to 50's - 60's. Liners and full jacket in the bags but only pulled jacket out once so far. Hope it holds, taking a week off middle Nov. Any North / East Texans able to get together?
    • 846 posts
    October 20, 2010 7:03 AM PDT
    Up here in the northeast it weeding out time. Weeding out the fair weather riders. Morning rides to work have been around 35 degress. Frost on the pumpkin and more. It's been warming up to the 50s for the ride home but still its dark now by time I roll in the driveway. Fewer bikes on the road and the few of us there are all look like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man. Fighting for every rideable moment."Only the tips are blue, they still work fine where's the coffee"
    • 580 posts
    October 20, 2010 9:20 AM PDT
    10 minutes to scrape frost off car this morning but lovely afternoon so took bike out for a ride straight after work. Thermals, thick gloves, liner in jacket, extra thick socks - fingers STILL frozen to the bone when I got home and just thawing out with a nice whisky. Like Chaz I'm still fighting for every rideable moment but rides are fewer and much shorter now. PLUS the clocks go back an hour soon which means it will be dark by the time I finish work. Almost time to think about Ethel's hibernation but hanging on for the time being