Time to get out the thermals

• 580 posts
    September 17, 2010 10:27 AM PDT
    There's definitely a change in the air here in the UK this week.  Rode out tonight for a couple of hours to test out my new brake and clutch levers (following Ethel's little scrape last weekend which resulted in one getting broken).  It was pitch dark by 8 pm, the leaves are already turning and my visor kept steaming up at traffic lights and junctions.  Despite having my fleece AND jacket on, I was chilled to the bone when I got home.

Just warming up now with a nice whisky.  Riding out again on Sunday  but I will definitely need to dig out those thermals and my thick gloves before then methinks.

How many of you will be doing the same this month?
  • September 17, 2010 11:12 AM PDT
    oh it is a chilly one in Minnesota today -- yep leaves are turning and so is the air think summer is saying good bye to us northerners UHG ----
    • 19046 posts
    September 17, 2010 12:00 PM PDT
    Beautiful here in SE PA. Leaves beginning to change and nicely cool at night. I am gonna head south this winter. Oh Yea!
    • 1161 posts
    September 17, 2010 12:06 PM PDT

I will take the cold over the heat any day.  I can always put on more layers to worm up with but there is only so much I can take off before I go to jail...

it was 94 here today in southern Georgia.

• 58 posts
    September 17, 2010 12:29 PM PDT
    In the 90's today over Texas. Still have at least another month to go. Although, if you put the days all together, We only had 2-3 weeks of truly unrideable weather last year. My bike never sees the dark recesses of the garage I don't have...
    • 352 posts
    September 18, 2010 3:03 AM PDT
    It's great riding here in VA. Beach...the fall gathering next weekend will be perfect weather. 75-80 daytime and 55-60 at night.

Thin skin can go for chaps at night...or just long sleeves if you are used to it.

I love this time of year
    • 9 posts
    September 18, 2010 3:23 AM PDT
    Happy to say... I left all ( well most) of that stuff behind by moving to S.W. Florida... Gets to freezing maybe once or twice a year here, so we ride all year long... And thats a GOOD thing.
  • September 18, 2010 6:28 AM PDT
    ok yeah just keep rubbing it in!! in the house it was 52 today!! Not even sure what it was outside haahaa but well the ski slopes will do me good this winter I guess and just hopefully by spring I'll be on my own 2 wheels
  • September 18, 2010 7:39 AM PDT
    Was thinking about thermals today too...warmed up nice enough but a cold start! Cooler weather from here on out I think.This could turn out to be one of the last nice days this year.
    • 580 posts
    September 18, 2010 12:43 PM PDT
    I had to put the gas fire on this evening for the first time this summer because my cardi wasn't keeping me warm enough! Ground frosts are forecast for mid-week. Hoping to get a ride out in the morning some time but rain is on the way so we'll see. This site is awesome for sharing the sheer diversity of experiences we have - even in something like the weather. (o:
  • g
    September 19, 2010 12:23 AM PDT
    aye choc .its cold noo , nights are coming in .still have a few fine days yet ....i hope ,sometimes get a gid spell at the end of sep ..fingers crossed eh .
    • 580 posts
    September 19, 2010 3:33 AM PDT
    Rain stopped play today - it's absolutely persisting it down here - oh well, maybe next weekend.

And you're right G - sometimes we get decent spells end Sept/Oct time so definitely fingers crossed (o:
  • September 19, 2010 6:23 AM PDT
    we got a shit ton a rain here in the inland nw this weekend- but the fall riding is great! layers in the morning - and 60-70s in the afternoon- only downside- have to have bags to carry extra layers --
    • 601 posts
    September 19, 2010 10:01 AM PDT
    we don't do too bad down in south Ireland, lots of rain but never gets really cold,or hot either, that gulf stream keeps us cool in summer and warm in winter..our temp in winter seldom drops below 28f and in summer max is usually 80f and humidity is something we read about as we always have a south atlantic breeze
    • 567 posts
    September 19, 2010 10:40 AM PDT
    I envy y'all being able to wear your leathers and cold weather gear. I like riding when its cool.
    Here in Florida, there are very few days where we even get to wear our leathers. Even now, we are still seeing temps in the mid 90s every day. And, that's AFTER it has finally cooled down just a tad.
    I don't do it very often but yesterday I actually wore shorts while riding my bike. I prefer to wear jeans and even a leather vest over my t-shirt.

Waaaaaaa !!! I want some COOL weather !!!!! 
  • September 19, 2010 4:02 PM PDT
    Here in southern California we might have to wear jackets thirty days a year, and sometimes it might even rain here but not often, Come visit and you will never want to leave!
    • 580 posts
    September 19, 2010 9:05 PM PDT
    I like that we have seasons over here and each has its own special qualities. It's just that the winter months and the bike don't really mix and I get a little sad when it gets to be time to cover it in the garage. Once the frosts and gritting start I tend not to use it at all (mainly because I don't want to wash the salt off every time I take it on the road). Still, I'll make the most of the last few weeks we have before that time comes. And you never know - one day I might be able to visit other countries during the winter months to ride in finer weather (o:
  • g
    September 20, 2010 6:23 AM PDT
    just hope its stays dry for fuel demo on sat .
    • 580 posts
    September 21, 2010 2:32 AM PDT
    Put my heavy liner in my jacket, got my thick gloves out, put on my thermals. Sunny this morning and had a meeting out of the area so decided to go on my bike

IT'S CRACKING THE FLAGS HERE!!!!!!!! I'm sweltered!!!! Still - shouldn't complain cos at least I'm riding and it IS dry.

Keeping fingers crossed it stays dry in Scotland for Satursday (now THAT's a tall order) lol
  • September 21, 2010 10:37 AM PDT
    Getting close to thermal weather here. Be in the low 60s and dipping into the 50s. Just pulled the box of winter riding gear out, and have it handy!
    • 580 posts
    September 22, 2010 8:34 AM PDT
    Hope you have some decent days then BMWToni. Been shorts and tshirts weather here today (not for the bike though - always ride with full gear on) but then poured down tonight and its forecast to get colder and wetter for the weekend. We're pretty much in that ride while you can period now because there won't be much longer. Plus it's dark now by 8pm which only gives an hour or so after work for any fun riding. I'll get the odd ride out now until they start salting the roads but then that's it - won't ride through the winter. It'll be a sad day when Ethel goes into the garage for hibernation but hopefully not for too long.
  • g
    September 22, 2010 8:46 AM PDT
    aye choc ,but we all all hardy basa's in scotland ,lol
  • September 22, 2010 2:39 PM PDT
    Dont say the W word....it is getting chillier in am..but we have been having some 80, 90 degree weather last couple weeks.. only thing changing is that it is getting darker earlier!! Will still ride as long as no snow or ice on roads..
  • September 22, 2010 4:02 PM PDT
    What are thermals?
    • 580 posts
    September 22, 2010 8:24 PM PDT
    wheels wrote...
    What are thermals?

What us hardy English gals wear under our gear to protect us from hypothermia so we can still ride in autumn because you guys keep all the sun to yourselves - lol