carburetor

• August 30, 2010 11:34 PM PDT
    i have a bendix carb. when i let off the gas i dont idle down. on my acellerator pump there is a little rod goin thru the middle hole of 3 holes, my question is can that rod be moved either up or down? i think if i can move it down that would fix my problem. because i can push down on the pump lever and i'll idle down. thx for any input on this
    • 1509 posts
    August 31, 2010 2:12 AM PDT
    iDELING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ADD.PUMP THAT ONLY GIGES A SPURT OF GAS DURING THE TRANSITION FROM IDLE FUEL TO RUN FUEL THROUGH THE JETS. SOUNDS LIKE YOUR THROTTLE PLATE SHAFT IS GUMMED UP OR YOUR SLIDE IS STICKING GUMOUT IN THE TANG MAY HELP THE SLIDE SPRAY CARB ON THE THROTTLE SHAFT INSIDE AND OUT WILL HELP THROTTLE PLATE
  • August 31, 2010 2:23 AM PDT
    your idle is staying high till you push the plunger down? sounds like a vacum leak somewhere.
    • 1509 posts
    August 31, 2010 2:43 AM PDT
    the plunger should return with throttle
  • August 31, 2010 2:47 AM PDT
    thanks everyone,
    • 1 posts
    August 31, 2010 5:51 AM PDT
    I agree with shedsruty59, sounds like either something is sticking, or the return spring is worm. Try his suggestion of getting a can of carb cleaner and spraying the heck out of it. Especially all the moving parts.
    • 0 posts
    August 31, 2010 8:04 AM PDT
    Gday ironhead..goodluck with that old bendix carb mate.. the best thing i ever did for my old ironhead was to fit a SS super E carby.. No dramma's(except ussual old bike stuff) since. Worth spending the $$'s mate....Cheers BOOF
  • August 31, 2010 8:10 AM PDT
    if you go to xlforum.net you will be able to look up just about anything you need to know about Ironheads
  • September 2, 2010 10:28 AM PDT
    thanks bro, thats just what i needed.
  • September 2, 2010 10:31 AM PDT
    and i have been thinkin about an s&s carb.