Who is running a 21" or bigger front wheel with one brake r

• October 12, 2009 2:04 AM PDT
    Just curious, I want to put a 21" or 23" on mine and run it with one brake rotor. It just looks so much cleaner and I hate to spend all that cash on a sweet wheel and cover it with a rotor. I see lots of bikes in the bagger mags that are just running one and I just wonder how it changes the performance of the front brakes.
    • 5417 posts
    October 12, 2009 2:32 AM PDT
    Catfish, In case he doesn't see this, you may want to check with user, AL2005. I am pretty sure has is running a single disc on his Road King.
  • October 12, 2009 5:11 AM PDT
    I know that one rotor is better than none. my ole' man has a '74 super glide with NO front brake. He had all the mounting holes shaved off and chromed the whole front end. It has beautiful custom wheels and looks fantastic, BUT it's a bugger to ride! I never realized how much I depend on the front brake! LOL
  • October 20, 2009 8:22 AM PDT
    I had a 21' front on my old Heritage with a single disk.  I ran Lyndall brake pads and had no noticeable  changes in braking.  It will feel different when you first get on and ride but with a few hours of riding it'll feel just like you've always had that large of a front wheel.  I do advise getting the wider 140 or 150 front wheel and tire.  Will make for a much smoother ride all around.

Rick

• October 22, 2009 7:54 AM PDT
    My Sporty runs a 21'' with a single but it doesnt weigh as much as your bagger!Still stops great if you dont lock it up:-)
  • October 22, 2009 3:53 PM PDT
    Lot's of big bikes have single disc, should be no problem. I would recommend a good floating disc and top quality pads.
  • October 24, 2009 3:26 PM PDT
    My Dyna has no problems in the braking dept.
  • October 29, 2009 5:28 AM PDT
    Make sure you check out the new 120/70/21 white wall when making your tire purchase decisions.
    www.hothawgz.com />
  • November 1, 2009 1:36 PM PST
    The reason for a 21" wheel, besides cool looks, is it will handle pot holes better because of the larger radius and for the same reason improved gyro characteristics helps you maintain better handling stability in corners. If you are going to go that rout, the wider rim and tire is what I would suggest. A single brake will work just fine as long as you use quality components and keep the air out of the lines. Steel braided lines also give a more positive response and last longer than rubber lines.
  • November 17, 2009 11:06 AM PST
    All 1200 Sportster Custom's have a 21" Front Wheel with a single disc
    They have been doing this for years... without any problems
  • November 17, 2009 12:04 PM PST
    Yeah man I'm running a 2006 Springer Soft Tail with a 21" spoke front wheel.  Braking is good but rim is easy to warp...I've warped two already in three years on small pot holes.
  • November 22, 2009 12:22 AM PST
    Runnin a 21" on my Ground Pounder with PM controls and calipers. No problems.