Always stay alert at night, as I found out

• 352 posts
    July 7, 2010 11:23 AM PDT
    my philosophy is simple - enter my home uninvited and you die, you will not be able to testify or file a civil suit, you do not pass GO and collect $200...cause you will be headed directly for the morgue.
  • July 7, 2010 12:27 PM PDT
    Do you have a version of "Castle Doctrine" in TX? You could post a sign stating that you have every intent to exercise your right to use lethal force as stated in your states' castle doctrine regarding home invasion. That will hold up in court as it is just a reaffirmation of your legal right under the law. These laws do show premeditation as the States are, slowly but surely, understanding that you have a right to decide beforehand that you will kill before allowing yourself to be killed. The premeditation argument has evolved greatly since the late '90's.

In Ohio, you are authorized to use lethal force if someone is merely attempting to gain unlawful entry into your residense or motorvehicle and your are occupying the residense or vehicle at that time.
    • 352 posts
    July 7, 2010 12:33 PM PDT
    currently VA is a "retreat" state. That means you are supposed to retreat if at all possible, even if it means vacating the property to avoid the intruder. If you are cornered or feel the threat is iminent and unavoidable then use of lethal force can be used in your home. VA is currrently fighting to update the Castle Doctrine - most gun owners want a version similar to FL where your rights are extended to include your auto and place of business and prohibit civil claim by the intruder or their family.
  • July 7, 2010 12:57 PM PDT
    I had a shooting incident in VA in '95 and was unquestionable that there was lethal threat as they started shooting first. Their attorneys fought hard to no avail, but had they not started shooting first I think it would've been an entirely different ballgame.
  • July 7, 2010 1:26 PM PDT
    TheBullDog wrote...
    my philosophy is simple - enter my home uninvited and you die, you will not be able to testify or file a civil suit, you do not pass GO and collect $200...cause you will be headed directly for the morgue.

As they say..."Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six."
  • July 7, 2010 1:30 PM PDT
    a few years back i was laying in bed, lights out and couldn't sleep, this was in the time before bigmutt and the bitch, i heard an odd noise, didn't think much about it as i live rural, then heard it again, it was my back doorknob jiggling. so i get out of bed, drawers on, and get betsy, a winchester 16ga pump and go to the back door, i can see the dumbasses shadow in the window, so i tell him through the door in a fairly normal voice, "be damned sure you want in here" and slam the receiver shut on betsy, before the echo of the "clack" died, i heard the fence rattling and who ever it was running through a field of mesquite trees. i figure all those thorns were worse than birdshot in the ass.
    • 352 posts
    July 7, 2010 1:55 PM PDT
    hey I'm just scared of things that go bump in the nite, I think the boogy man is gonna get me so I guess I will be fearing for my life...so scared that I don't know which way to run away.

So I guess I gotta just shoot 'em to save myself
  • July 7, 2010 3:31 PM PDT

I can just see the CRIM see you in the nude. Trying to figure out what that small thing is and then laughing his head off just before you knock his head off.....Night Dragon.

• December 15, 2014 11:17 AM PST
    I live in a very small town...next to my business. I never get visitors after dark....knock on my door and I'll answer with a 9mm...you won't see it....but I'll have it. safety first for me and my wife, and my scooter.
    • 611 posts
    December 21, 2014 6:34 AM PST
    sam53 wrote...
    I live in a very small town...next to my business. I never get visitors after dark....knock on my door and I'll answer with a 9mm...you won't see it....but I'll have it. safety first for me and my wife, and my scooter.

Agreed Sam.
    I live in a rural area but there are houses around. When someone rolls into the driveway or knocks on the door, my S&W 9 is in my hand with safety off... tucked behind my leg. Unlock the door, flip on the porch light and ease the door back and stand to the side and ask "Yes?" Old habits die hard.

Same thing at night, pistol is by the bed and I know where the light switches are. Never present a clear target, never leave a room unchecked before moving to the next and leave the lights on. When the 'sweep' is done and home secured (doors locked, lights out etc), I usually will sit for 10 minutes or so, have a brew and just wait for the adeneline to wash away... and also to make sure I missed nothing.

My Lady Dove says she has never felt more safe in her life... that means a lot to me.

Stay safe out there. Take nothing for granted, especially your life or your loved ones.

Edge 'OldHabits' Walker 

• 1 posts
    December 22, 2014 8:55 AM PST
    Okay first thank goodness you are okay. Second a gun by the bed both sides, is always a good thing. Third I am glad I live in a stand your ground state, I do not think it would matter much to me if someone was coming into my house in the wee hours of the morning what the laws are, but glad my state still stands up for the people instead of the crooks. (some what)