An idiot on a sport bike

• June 14, 2010 11:22 AM PDT
    sorry all my bike is a crotch rocket just is called sport tour lol but runs like it is ninja 1000 motor 4 cyl with 4 carbs
  • June 14, 2010 2:06 PM PDT
    my brother in law was run off the road doing the tail of the dragon by some smart a** and the kid dident even stop. The one bike night that I do almost every week has about 1,000 bikes on a good night and it seems the only ones that dont have enough respect for others when it comes to parking is the sports bikes. They will just come to a stop, park it and dont seem to even care if they block anyone or the entrance. You can bet if I ever get blocked in there bike will be moved and not in a nice way.
  • June 14, 2010 2:14 PM PDT
    gradyrides wrote...
    sorry all my bike is a crotch rocket just is called sport tour lol but runs like it is ninja 1000 motor 4 cyl with 4 carbs

Does not make you a bad guy Gradyrides...I think the topic is about the 'idiots' that ride without respect of the road & others on it.

• 6 posts
    June 14, 2010 2:21 PM PDT
    bullmoose wrote...
    my brother in law was run off the road doing the tail of the dragon by some smart a** and the kid dident even stop. The one bike night that I do almost every week has about 1,000 bikes on a good night and it seems the only ones that dont have enough respect for others when it comes to parking is the sports bikes. They will just come to a stop, park it and dont seem to even care if they block anyone or the entrance. You can bet if I ever get blocked in there bike will be moved and not in a nice way.

My very earliest memories of the Sturgis bike rally from years and years back (I know, I'm 24, how long ago could it have been, lol), anyhow, years ago, a crotch rocket rider wouldn't dare show his face at the rally, cause his ride would get kicked over and torn up. Now, it's a little tamer, but most of them still don't show up. Last time I was out there I saw a crotch rocket rider get beat up pretty good by about 6 1%ers; I heard later that he had split through their pack at 110 coming into town. That's one that might have learned some respect lol.
    • 1066 posts
    June 14, 2010 3:35 PM PDT
    Maybe if they made it a law that you had to be 40 yrs of age to ride one. And the same requirements for a Marriage License, might give them a little more time to think about things. I think i had a little more smarts by then.
  • June 14, 2010 4:47 PM PDT
    Insurance Industry Examiner

Deadly motorcycle accident statistics

May 28, 10:21 AMInsurance Industry ExaminerDanny Workman
    13 comments Subscribe

Take a look at these statistics and the crash video below if you think riding without a motorcycle helmet is a good way to save money.

With the number of U.S. motorcyclist deaths jumping 78% to 5,154 in 2007 from 2,897 in 2000, a recent University of Southern California study points to the wearing a helmet as the major factor in surviving a motorcycle crash.

Below are additional statistics that explain why motorcycle insurance premiums continue to rise.

Motorcycle Fatality Statistics
    Although motorcycles represent only 3% of all registered vehicles in the United States, motorcyclists accounted for 13% of total traffic fatalities in 2007.

Per registered vehicle, the fatality rate for both motorcycle operators and passengers is 5.5 times higher than that for passenger car occupants.

Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists are about 35 times more likely to die in a car crash than people traveling in passenger cars.

These findings are among the most recent statistics released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Deadly Motorcycle Crash Statistics
    During 2007, 50% of all fatal motorcycle crashes involved collisions with another type of motor vehicle in transport. Of these two-vehicle crashes, 78% of motorcycles involved were struck from the front. Only 5% were struck from the rear.

In 25% of fatal motorcycle crashes, the motorcyclists crashed into a fixed object like a telephone pole or a concrete abutment.
    Speeding was a factor in 36% of fatal motorcycle crashes during 2007. This compares with 24% for passenger cars, 19% for light trucks and 8% for large trucks.

Florida (530), California (495) and Texas (375) had the highest number of motorcycle fatalities in 2007.

Fewer Motorcyclists Wear Helmets
    The NHTSA estimates that helmets saved 1,784 motorcyclists from death in 2007. If all motorcyclists had worn helmets, an additional 800 lives could have been saved.

Helmets are considered to be 37% effective in preventing fatal injuries to motorcyclists. This means for every 100 motorcyclists killed in crashes while not wearing a helmet, 37 of them could have been saved had all 100 worn helmets.

Sadly, use of motorcycle helmets in the U.S. has declined by 13 percentage points to 58% in 2007 from 71% in 2000.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Accident rates

Highway patrol investigate motorcycle crash
    A CalTrans sign on the 91 eastbound in Anaheim, cautioning drivers to be on the lookout for bikers that may be in their blind spots

Motorcycles have a higher fatality rate per unit of distance travelled when compared with automobiles. According to the NHTSA, in 2006 18.06 cars out of 100,000 ended up in fatal crashes. The rate for motorcycles is 55.82 per 100,000.[1] In 2004, figures from the UK Department for Transport indicated that motorcycles have 16 times the rate of serious injuries per 100 million vehicle kilometers compared to cars, and double the rate of bicycles.[2]

A national study by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATS) found that:

• Motorcycle rider death rates increased among all rider age groups between 1998 and 2000
    • Motorcycle rider deaths were nearly 30 times more than drivers of other vehicles
    • Motorcycle riders aged below 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other vehicle operators of the same age.
    • Motorcycle riders aged 40 years and over are around 20 times more likely to be killed than other drivers of that same age.[3]

According to 2005 data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration NHTSA, 4,008 motorcycle occupants were killed on United States roads in 2004, an 8% increase from 2003.[4]

During that same period, drivers of automobiles showed a 10% increase in fatalities, and cyclists showed an 8% increase in fatalities. Pedestrians also showed a 10% increase in fatalities. A total of 37,304 automobile occupants were killed on U.S. roads in 2004.[5]

Additional data from the United States reveals that there are over four million motorcycles registered in the United States. Motorcycle fatalities represent approximately five percent of all highway fatalities each year, yet motorcycles represent just two percent of all registered vehicles in the United States. One of the main reasons motorcyclists are killed in crashes is because the motorcycle itself provides virtually no protection in a crash. For example, approximately 80 percent of reported motorcycle crashes result in injury or death; a comparable figure for automobiles is about 20 percent.[6]

[edit] Research

Two major scientific research studies into the causes of motorcycle accidents have been conducted in North America and Europe: the Hurt Report and the MAIDS report.

[edit] Hurt Report

The only major work done on this subject in the USA is the Hurt Report, published in 1981 with data collected in Los Angeles and the surrounding rural areas.[7] There have been longstanding calls for a new safety study in the US, and Congress has provided the seed money for such a project, but as yet the remainder of the funding has not all been pledged.[8]

The Hurt Report concluded with a list of 55 findings, as well as several major recommendations for law enforcement and legislation. Among these, 75%

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ok where is the 85% of younger fall into this? I happen to ride a Sport Bike and I am 41. Would this action have been ok if he were on a cruiser style bike? I am so tired of the one sided talk on this subject. Maybe if he had loud pipes, and lots of crome so he could be seen it would be ok, or if he had lots of exprience then it would be ok. I have been on organized rides where I was chastised because I was on a Sport Bike, or 'crotch rocket' as you call it. Then later in the ride watch JunkyardDog go around 3 cars in a no passing zone only to hear someone pipe up with HaHa did you see that it was so cool. My biggest point is that cruiser style bikes are capable of the same stupidity it is usually just an older person riding said cruiser that makes it ok or even 'Cool' to some. Rex I'm sure it was a stupid move on this riders part but it is not the fault of his bike. and it is not the fault of anybody elses that rides Sport Bikes.

Ben

• 1161 posts
    June 16, 2010 4:12 AM PDT
    Just because the Title is An idiot on a sport bike.   Dose not mean were talking about you there are Idiots on All bikes. 
  • June 16, 2010 5:54 AM PDT
    I believe the point of the forum was the experience Rex had with ONE particular rider almost killing himself and including innocent people in the process. Kid just happened to be on a sport bike. I think if the same thing happened with someone on a cruiser, the forum would have been the same, only titled - An Idiot on a Cruiser!!!!!
  • g
    June 16, 2010 7:15 AM PDT
    probably find that a sports bike will atract young men who have very little rd experiance and blast about ,im in the other had are myself and nice atractive young man ..........who blasts about on my sports bike ,like it says its not the bike its the rider .
    • 19049 posts
    June 16, 2010 7:45 AM PDT
    OK it WAS a kid, I could see that much as he flashed by. I certainly did not write this as a condemnation of sport bike riders. I did condemn stupid riders, thus the term idiot. As g just said, "it's not the bike, it's the rider."
    I rode a classic Bonneville which was one of the original "Sport Bikes" in my forties also and thank the creator I had the good sense to only be crazy when it was safe(er).