Half a tank....STILL?????

• 33 posts
    June 2, 2010 1:01 AM PDT
    Good Wednesday all! I am thinking I know the answer to this already but here goes. I have had my 2000 RK for a few weeks now. I had heard that they had "issues" with the gas guages so I asked the previous owner if the guage worked. "Yes! But never trust it." he said. SO I have been watching it real closely since there is no reserve to fall back on....and the bike weighs half a ton.  So I have now run several tanks of fuel through this bike and the guage has never budged from half a tank.  I'm thinking that just maybe there might be a problem here......lol. Is this just a problem that is terminal unless I purchase a new guage/sending unit or should I just always get fuel at 175 miles? Hmmmmm....just wondering. Y'all ride safe out there!
    • 5420 posts
    June 2, 2010 2:26 AM PDT
    I have an '07 RK and the gauge works fine, but the low fuel light doesn't come on until I have about 20 miles left.  Pretty much when I am traveling, I go by mileage and start looking for convenient fuel around 130 miles just to be safe.  Normally takes about 3.5 gallons at that point.
    • 1364 posts
    June 2, 2010 3:16 AM PDT
    My gauges work, But I go by the milage in most cases. ... Usally 150 -175 miles for fuel, unless we are heavy handed and its 130...
    • 1066 posts
    June 2, 2010 9:01 AM PDT
    Gauge on my LowRider works, but i don't rely on it. When it shows red, it takes about 2.8 gal., the odometer is just over 100 miles.
  • June 2, 2010 10:09 AM PDT
    Mine goes like a rocket ~ had the stealer check it out and they said it was fine. Low fuel light comes on early... so, I usually fill up via mileage at about 150 or so.
    • 33 posts
    June 3, 2010 12:02 AM PDT
    Well well! It sounds like it's unanimous! I guess I could always design a cool mod to take place of the useless gas gauge huh? lol Y'all ride safe!!!!
    • 19055 posts
    June 3, 2010 12:22 AM PDT
    And to make it more unanimous, Rex's (an 04 RK) gauge works OK. A little non linear but as all have said. Watch the trip odometer. I usually refill at 135 to 165, sooner if running highway speeds above 70.
  • June 3, 2010 12:30 AM PDT
    I ride an 05 Suzuki C90 with the tank under the seat and fuel injection pump in the tank. Fuel gauge works like my chevy tank. The first half last forever but don't strech the last half. I have two trip odometers one for the oil change and one for the fuel milage. It isn't always a Harley thing.