H-D Future???

• May 22, 2010 12:41 AM PDT
    Flatlander wrote...
    Harley-Davidson reported $33.3 million in profit in the first-quarter of 2010, a 72% decline from the same period in 2009. So why do they need to cut $54 million bucks in production costs?

one might think someone is getting greedy at home office.
  • May 22, 2010 1:05 AM PDT
    These days when business' don't make the same margin of profit as the year before, they say they're "losing" money! Just a manipulation of words because a profit is a profit! They justify downsizing and lay-offs this way, total bullshit!

Whenever I buy any clothing or hats at a Harley dealer, I always check the label for where it was made. I won't buy the Chinese garbage. I don't buy much at the Harley dealers anyway because of the overblown prices.
  • May 22, 2010 1:10 AM PDT
    If my profit went from 100 down to 33 million bucks I'd still have a shit-eatin grinn from ear to ear........
  • May 22, 2010 3:27 AM PDT
    Flatlander wrote...
    All they have to do is build a decent bike like Europe and Japan does. If a man could buy an American made bike that could keep up with the rest of the world they would. It's a damn shame America can't do it.

I have to disagree with a bit Flatlander. America does build several fine bikes. Harley is not as fast as others but there is virtually no working on them anymore. Victory builds a damn fine bike. A lot of it has to do with the market. What niche is not filled right or even over saturated? As far as fast, Buell and Harley have dominated NHRA over the last few years. We have the finest craftsmen in the world. the government is the one that has made it so easy for greedy CEOs and board members to send work overseas. If you ride a bike made in the US, awsome. If you don't, dont complain about jobs lost to overseas. I try to do my part, not always succeeding. You guys and gals that live elsewhere in the world should buy products made in your country first also.

I will say this. If someone that rides a Harley bashes other brands, they are branded a snob or something like that. I see a lot of Harley bashing going on with not much said. Ride what you want, keep your mouth shut about what I ride. bonnie rides a Harley, I don't. I just get tired of seeing and hearing all the bullshit cause someone doesn't ride what someone else does. We ride with folks that ride all brands, doesn't matter to me.

• 1040 posts
    May 22, 2010 3:32 AM PDT
    TheExtreme wrote...
    Flatlander wrote...
    All they have to do is build a decent bike like Europe and Japan does. If a man could buy an American made bike that could keep up with the rest of the world they would. It's a damn shame America can't do it.

I have to disagree with a bit Flatlander. America does build several fine bikes. Harley is not as fast as others but there is virtually no working on them anymore. Victory builds a damn fine bike. A lot of it has to do with the market. What niche is not filled right or even over saturated? As far as fast, Buell and Harley have dominated NHRA over the last few years. We have the finest craftsmen in the world. the government is the one that has made it so easy for greedy CEOs and board members to send work overseas. If you ride a bike made in the US, awsome. If you don't, dont complain about jobs lost to overseas. I try to do my part, not always succeeding. You guys and gals that live elsewhere in the world should buy products made in your country first also.

I will say this. If someone that rides a Harley bashes other brands, they are branded a snob or something like that. I see a lot of Harley bashing going on with not much said. Ride what you want, keep your mouth shut about what I ride. bonnie rides a Harley, I don't. I just get tired of seeing and hearing all the bullshit cause someone doesn't ride what someone else does. We ride with folks that ride all brands, doesn't matter to me.

And who the hell said it was ALL about going fast anyway Ya wanna go fast then buy a bike that goes fast. Ya wanna go slow then ride slow. Does anybody REALLY give a shit what anybody rides or how fast or slow it goes....Geeesh; just ride

Oh, and whoever say's America CAN'T, must have forgotten our history and that we have led the world in manufacturing, technology, agriculture, medicine...the list goes on. It's not a matter of CAN'T; It's a matter of WILL.

• May 22, 2010 5:31 AM PDT
    And on the fast thing. Don't make the mistake of thinking that an old rigid with an outdated v-twin in it and a fat man on it won't run. You might get your feelings hurt.
  • May 22, 2010 6:14 AM PDT
    I'm not saying all Harleys should be fast, just a couple models to attract sales from the folks that buy Euro and Jap bikes. If Harley made a bike that was as fast as the slowest Honda I have ever had I would have probably bought one.

People don't buy bikes based on drag's where Harley has a 500cc advantage over Jap bikes so they can compete nor do they buy bikes based on flat track racing where again they have the rules advantage. Harley is the only recognized American motorcycle company and they refuse to build bikes the majority of Bikers want to buy.

• 2072 posts
    May 22, 2010 6:22 AM PDT
    In the words of John Travolta in the movie Wild Hogs.......... "I just wanna RIDE" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • May 22, 2010 12:03 PM PDT
    Flatlander seems to be basing his statements on a close-minded opinion and doesn't seem to know anything about Harley at all. Harley does offer several bikes aimed at the European market and sport riding. The Sportster XR1200 was developed in Europe for sport riding and will probably give any Honda he might have a good run for the money and just might take his money in the process! No bullshit! The Harley V-rods put out 120 hp and handle extremely well also. Most of the pro-stock drag bikes are V-rod based. Both engines are only 1200cc and are only V-Twins so they're in the same ball park as many of the Japanese sport bikes and produce tons of torque. The larger Harley engines aren't developed for racing but can produce allot of power, the bikes they are installed in are intended for recreational riding. Compared to the Jap bikes, you might find the Harleys to be a bit pricey, but unlike years ago, Harley's quality is second to none. They are built to last a long time. If you don't like Harley, that's fine and no one can tell you that you have to like them. Just be sure you know what you're talking about.
  • May 22, 2010 12:42 PM PDT
    Flatlander wrote...'If Harley made a bike that was as fast as the slowest Honda I have ever had I would have probably bought one.'

Confucious say:  'Man who drive like hell bound to get there'

Do what ya do man ~ nobody is bent on what you buy and what ya ride. If it means something to get there before anyone else ~ go for it. Enjoy the ride ~ I'll get there when I get there ~ with my friends.

Hey ~ this State lost it's home corparate office for a major aircraft manufacturer ~ Illinois and now Carolina are reaping the benefits...  if states want to get ugly and greedy ~ business moves. If American workers want to get ugly and greedy ~ business moves. We collectively need to make a difference. Period.

Isn't it interesting how we as a collective group argue over brand names? Well ~ I ride a Harley ~ so smack me if ya want. Whatever... oh yeah ~ it probably has Tokiko front shocks on it... Made in 'USA' ~ Japan... not U.S.A. ~ I can change that if I want.... read history... they did that years ago.
    Off my other soap box...
  • May 22, 2010 3:14 PM PDT
    TheExtreme wrote...
    And on the fast thing. Don't make the mistake of thinking that an old rigid with an outdated v-twin in it and a fat man on it won't run. You might get your feelings hurt.
    this is all I will add to this. I feel no need to go around and around with a closed mined key bord commando who seem hell bent on sturing up shit
  • June 4, 2010 3:40 AM PDT
    hgsc90 wrote...
    Polaris is selling out a Wisconsin Engine plant in Oseola. 500 employees loose jobs to Mexico. They made rv and Victory engines for an Iowa assembly plant and Snowmobile engines for Roseo Mn. Opened in 1999 close by 2012. Made in the USA kinda maybe. Sorry I can't say more and be civil.

This is not true, Victory will remain in the US. Below is a statement related to the recent Oseola plant closure and the rumors that typiclly start and run wild.

Polaris announced a realignment of our manufacturing operations that included the eventual sale or closure of the Osceola manufacturing operations. Questions have been raised about how this affects the manufacturing of Victory Motorcycles, including our Freedom V-Twin engine. Victory Motorcycle assembly will remain in our Spirit Lake, Iowa, facility, and assembly of the Freedom V-Twin engine will now join it there. This allows us to have all Victory manufacturing and assembly in a single location. It’s still an American-made motorcycle. We have planned investments going into the Spirit Lake plant as it becomes the Victory Motorcycles Center of Excellence. We recognize that it is difficult news for our Osceola employees and we will make every effort to ease the transition. All employees impacted by these moves will be treated with the fairness and respect they deserve.
    • 1066 posts
    June 4, 2010 4:18 AM PDT
    Well folks, it goes like this. I have had about 20 motorcycles since i was 18, i'm 59 now. The first 19 were Japanese and Brittish. I have had the fast ones, and the slower ones. I bought an anniversary Low Rider this year, 2003 mod. That ole' 88 inch motor runs faster than i want to ride, and gets there Quick. I have nothing against any of those first 19, but guess what my bike of choice is, HARLEY DAVIDSON . I will ride with any brand of bike, and not rag on anybody for what they ride.

Hollywood  
  • June 4, 2010 5:04 AM PDT
    Hollywood.... I'm with you. At one time while stationed in Okinawa, I had 5 Japanese street bikes. Almost one for each day of the week. I had two I was particularly fond of. One was a TX-650 Yamaha. The other was a rocket with a short fuse. A Suzuki 550 GTB. Three cylinder, two stroke, air cooled "white knuckled monster"... As I've grown older my priorities have changed. I'm now into being comfortable in my "old age". So my choices were either a GoldWing or an Ultra-Classic. I opted for the Ultra. It was my intention to try to support an American "Icon" (Harley-Davidson) in leiu of assisting the Japanese economy. Good Lord willing and the Creek don't rise, my next purchase in the way of a Motorcycle just might be an Indian. IF they don't go out of business AGAIN!!! Sarge...
  • June 4, 2010 2:56 PM PDT
    Hollywood wrote...
    Well folks, it goes like this. I have had about 20 motorcycles since i was 18, i'm 59 now. The first 19 were Japanese and Brittish. I have had the fast ones, and the slower ones. I bought an anniversary Low Rider this year, 2003 mod. That ole' 88 inch motor runs faster than i want to ride, and gets there Quick. I have nothing against any of those first 19, but guess what my bike of choice is, HARLEY DAVIDSON . I will ride with any brand of bike, and not rag on anybody for what they ride.

Hollywood  

I'm with you on that one brother.I have not had quite the 19 you have had but I finally got what I really wanted,a Harley.I have riden the rest and I have nothing against anyone for riding what they want. If they put me down for what I ride that is ok, I don't need them anyway.
    • 58 posts
    August 27, 2010 1:35 PM PDT
    I bought my first HD this last spring and finally... my nose doesn't start buzzing 15 mins into my ride... Just my 2 bits. In my family now: Harley Road King, Yamaha Star 1100, Suzuki 800 Intruder, Honda 450 Rebel. All good, fun bikes. Only person in the family doesn't ride is my wife, but I keep prayin'.
  • September 28, 2010 10:26 AM PDT
    None of this " I will never buy a Harley if more parts are made outside the US" makes sense. Buy a Harley because you love the ride.period. 98% of clothes we wear is made in other countries...who here is naked. Harley does well selling bikes in Europe and Asia...Too much nationalism breeds racism and hate and ultimately weakens AMERICA which I love. America is stronger and our products better when we use the best sh_t in the universe and put it together and sell it with American brains and spirit. Just my opinion...