Patience for the new, not so young rider

• April 20, 2010 9:51 AM PDT
    I know there are some of you out there who didn't start to ride until after hitting the 40 year mark.  I belong to this category.  When I started, I sucked!

It was painful having to feel like all of a sudden I was a complete idiot fool.  Nevernind that I had lived long enough to receive plenty of hard knocks or
    that I survived five teenagers.  None of my life lessons really prepared me for the utter terror that ran through my body when I started to ride.  Yes, I

took the safety course, as I hope all new riders will, but I did have time on my own before the classes started and I wasn't going to wait until then.  I

bought a bike to ride it...not wait for class instructor approval.  So, here I am.  Obviously, the cagers that I was convinced were going to kill me, didn't.

I would have never become the rider I am today without a great deal of patience from friends who ride.  It wasn't until I was no longer the newbie, that
    I realized that it just wasn't me who sucked at motorcycle skills and boy, did it require patience to ride shotgun.....and a whole lot of prayer.

I am forever grateful for the love and patience that was shown my way.  And now I have had the good fortune to realize the gift that comes from

watching a new rider's spirit change (and skills improve ) as they embrace this beautiful freedom that so many of us have found.  By the time

some of us start riding, we have a pretty healthy egos and don't want to seem needy, so patience for an individual's psyche seems to be equally as

important as giving them the time (and loving space  ) to master their skills.   I can't remember ever not knowing how good it feels to know that

someone's got my back.  Sure is nice to offer it too. 

• April 20, 2010 10:06 AM PDT
      I didn't wait till the big 40   ..i still had the kids around the house ..  and was doin the Mr. Mom thing...so then came 45 ...   nope   then cam 50 nope   well dammm need to do this or it will never get done ok at 54  got the classes got the lic  got the bikes...  and enjoying it... as offen as i can ...sometime just a bad day can be fixed with a short ride...not sure if the yingyang is there.. but feels close ...   for me maybe  if i got this all done earler  it would not have had the same meaning...  for now all is well..... 

jim 
    • 601 posts
    April 20, 2010 10:18 AM PDT
    I've been riding since I was 18, 30 yrs...I will always help a new rider, age don't mean nothin' its all about respect
  • April 20, 2010 10:33 AM PDT
    I didn't wait to get 30 even,I've been riding since I was old enough to throw my leg over a bike. My father rode and i had my first bike for around the farm early.Fast forward,age 16years 9 month and got L permit. have now ridden on the road for ages. I ride shotgun on all our group rides as I have a tendensy to ride to fast!!! I made that desision after our grous first ride.Have had lots of newbies join use as well. Our moto is to ride as fast as the slowest rider and that makes a lot of people happy.
    Let me also say that our little group are all members of the ULYSSES motorcycle social club. Its our little group that helps all the newbies get time under their belts before they try and ride with those most ungratefull riders.
    I mean that the ULYSSES riders only think of themselves when on a ride. it's as if everyone of them thinks they are the only one on the road individauls each.
    We have many join our group for a safer ride.
    I've said to much now but good on every one that throws a leg over a saddle and takes that frist step into a wonderful and exciting new way of life. I wouldn't give it up for all the tea in China. Married 37 years last Dec and my wife never tried to change me either.
    GOD BLESS Motorcycles.
  • April 20, 2010 10:41 AM PDT
    Well Mozart I got ya by a couple of years. I bought my 1st bike at 56yrs of age. I did the same as you Inga, got my permit, bought the bike, had a friend take me out, first to a parking lot several times, then around the block for a few days, then out on the road. I then took the NY Safety Class and really hit the road. My skills are still in the developing stage and still feel very much the Newbie. But, the boost in self-confidence came at a much needed time.
    • 1509 posts
    April 20, 2010 10:43 AM PDT
    ``dido
  • April 20, 2010 10:47 AM PDT
    The first spring ride in my Wisconsin home area made most long time riders feel uneasy with sandy roads and surprise black ice. Even after good spring rains some secondary roads looked like well traveled 2 rut roads..
  • April 20, 2010 11:58 AM PDT
    rory1 wrote...
    I will always help a new rider, age don't mean nothin' its all about respect

Thats the right attitude right there.

I rode dirt bikes as a kid, from age 14 to 23.  Lost interest at that time.  Got back in the wind in 99.  Wish I'd done it sooner but kids...money...yada yada yada.  I've covered about half the states in the US now and I'm just lovin it. 

There are still occasional days when I feel like a newbie...when its not workin.  Bad clutch control etc.   I think most people do but are afraid to admit it.  It all works out in the end.

Thanx,

jb
    • 1780 posts
    April 20, 2010 12:34 PM PDT
    Inga I've been riding for more years that I care to remember......the point here is that you took that step and now you are one of us....enjoy
    dragon
    • 2 posts
    April 20, 2010 12:59 PM PDT
    Stay scared - If you ever get so confident that you lose respect for all that can go wrong, take up an avocation that is not likely to kill you. Those teenagers are likely to turn into parents of little people who will need a Grandma.
    Been riding for pushing 50 years & still check the machine & my equipment like was my 1st ride
    • 1040 posts
    April 20, 2010 1:21 PM PDT
    Been riden since 14 I think (56 now)...a lotta years. Anyhow, I don't get to ride as much as I like but even when cageing around occasionally will see someone stranded on two wheels and ALWAY's stop/slow down to see if help is needed. In today's age of cellphones most have called already but always have been acknowledged by those for the offer of help.

As far as riding ability/knowledge/safety; we ALL no matter our percieved experiance and caution are subject to what exists around us and can only pray all our brothers and sisters who ride will arrive safe. If we can offer/recieve something to help along the journey to help make the chances of safe arrival better; then all is good....Great Topic Inga.
  • April 20, 2010 2:07 PM PDT
    Stay scared! That really is respect for the unknown. Totally agree with that, yes I do.

Been up on two wheels since my new Vespa GS in 1960. Now have a new Wide Glide and my better half says she wants to drive! Oh boy, I remember the spills of my learning and my short racing career and hope she waits till I get her a learning machine.

The excitement is hard to tame when one has a desire, especially to learn. I simply hope to keep her desire there till we get the small used machine so if she drops it our pocketbook doesn't break.

Both of my boys were started on a used motorcycle when they expressed their desire to drive. Now they are proficient on two wheels and four. The older one has even got his commercial driving school behind him , which makes 18 wheel driving Dad proud.
  • April 20, 2010 3:21 PM PDT
    Ride like every day is your first - the confidence you gain will make each day easier than yesterday - but you have be constantly on the alert for those that have no idea whats going on around them as they motor down the road of life.
    Your ability to think for the cager that cuts you off will keep you out of a lot of tight spots.
    Plan ahead when riding and use a old truck drivers trick of saying to yourself "whatIF?" After a while it will become second nature to you to look out for the other guy and know what boneheaded stunt they're going to try before they even try it.
    Ride safe
  • April 20, 2010 4:26 PM PDT
      2catsonapig said
    "The excitement is hard to tame when one has a desire, especially to learn. I simply hope to keep her desire there till we get the small used machine so if she drops it our pocketbook doesn't break."

I will be forever grateful for the patience that my husband showed when I was first out there.  I would have never acquired the skills I have so quickly without him.  He enjoyed the journey, well more of it as I progressed, as he witnnessed mine unfold.  We both started out at the same time, however, I have to believe testosterone does prevent you guys from letting fear consume you or cause you to break down and cry...I am in awe of women who never shed a tear through the process and do not mean any disrespect.  Mind you, the old man was delighted indeed when I was hitting our favorite wide swoops @ 70 and giving him a speed and performance challenge on his Road King when we could on the clear open highway.  These memories are some of the best that I will always carry with me.  Sadly, the other parts of our life together simply did not hold this common love and it's staying power.  His diligence and patience with me and faith in me was a precious gift.

I started out with a 450 honda Ascot - 4 months    (Curled lever replacement x2  )

2000 883 Sporty, had to convert to a 1200 within 3 wks. (not enough punch for me) - 16 months
    2006 Dyna Low Rider - 3 years so far.  Added Power Commander last year. 

• April 20, 2010 5:08 PM PDT
    I am 28, and have always ridden as a passenger with my hubby! Until about 2 weeks ago, I talked him into a 2008 Shadow 750, I am going crazy waiting for the end of May to take the safety course! So, far though I have ridden it in parking lots alone, and on backroads with him on the bike to help me out. I think his fear of me riding is definitely greater than mine, as I am more excited than scared! However, I am definitely a newbie, and appreciate any support and patience from all riders as I will need many prayers sent my way as I learn to ride my bike! Stay Safe My Friends!!
    • 190 posts
    April 20, 2010 5:39 PM PDT
    I got my licence at 30 in 2008 though the safety course, got one ride in that year on one of my dads bikes ('86 heritage), then last year got my own bike, this year still shakin off a lot of rust, but I keep diggin and try to improve. Sometimes I let the traffic behind me get to me, but I try to use those situations as lessons learned and keep trying the harder turns and corners.
  • April 21, 2010 12:08 AM PDT

Many riders stop learning and are quite content once they master the art of not falling over at a traffic light, they buy all the proper Harley clothing and call themself a "Biker"..... This is just the beginning stage's of learning how to ride.

I have spent years showing newer riders the next level and planning group rides around them. Note, most my articles here say "Newer Riders" somewhere in them. There's alot to be learned about handling your bike, how far it will lean, how fast it will stop and accelerate, all vital survival skill's one can only learn at a controlled environment such as a Track Day, taking a class from Sober, experienced professionals. It will make a new person out of you if you are serious about riding. Here is a program in your area to look at as most tracks offer across the country, many even have a "Lady's Day"........ 

www.teampromotion.com/tpm.php />
    Here is a lady bikers site you might like as well.

bikersmag.com/html/womens_motorcycle_racing.html

• April 21, 2010 2:28 AM PDT
    Thx Red. I like to keep it simple. There are very basic laws of physics that govern riding and safety. If I could, I would choose learning from police bikers. How I would love to spend the day with these riders. Now that to me, would be $$ very well spent and a very good time.
    • 1040 posts
    April 21, 2010 2:39 AM PDT
    ingababy wrote...
    Thx Red. I like to keep it simple. There are very basic laws of physics that govern riding and safety. If I could, I would choose learning from police bikers. How I would love to spend the day with these riders. Now that to me, would be $$ very well spent and a very good time.

A good choice Inga; Some out there who claim to know the rules, laws, and know how of rideing DON'T always know what they say. I for one don't claim to have enough knowledge or rideing ability to teach and sometimes even offer advice; even as long as I have deen rideing. If you choose to seek proffessional assistance; it would seem to me, those LEO's (Law Enforcement Officers) who ride for a living would be an excellent choice. Your research and gut will tell you which way to go should you decide to go down that road...The very best to ya and safe rideing
    • 1 posts
    April 21, 2010 2:47 AM PDT
    I too was a "late bloomer".  My first bike was a Suzuki GZ250.  My husband made me ride in the field out back until I took the course and got my liscence.  Upgraded to Sportster 1200 after 8 mos.  There are certain rules that apply to everybody......your first mistake could be your last.  So it's not about making every ride perfect.  If you don't die,  it's OK.  Here's a site that might be helpful. 

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/
  • April 21, 2010 2:52 AM PDT
    ingababy wrote...

I was on the Blue Knights web site last night. They have their blessing of the bikes coming up the 1st weekend of May at West Dennis Beach on Cape Cod. I was there 2 yrs ago as a food vendor and would love to ride out this year on my bike. I was reading the history of their MC, it was pretty interesting. I would think they would be a great resourse for info on work shops or lessons.  They have chapters world wide.
  • April 21, 2010 3:00 AM PDT
    ingababy wrote...

That helps too under the right conditions in the proper locations where you can get personal attention and demonstration's. Most police have done track days and similar classes, puts them a step above others.
    • 190 posts
    April 22, 2010 10:45 AM PDT
    Inga...you ALWAYS had it in you...you just had to take the time to bring it out...Glad you came out and joined our world and made it your own. We are alot richer for you being here ridin with us. Even though we all are far away from one another i do believe that when we all ride we all add our own particular energy into the wind and we all feed off that energy thing when we all go on our rides. We are all seperated and yet we are not seperated if you will. Im glad that you discovered the beauty and the open door to this world and life we inhabit. The bike is not whet makes us...the bike is only an extension of who and what we are. Welcome home kid....be safe out there....
  • April 22, 2010 11:05 AM PDT
    Omg, Inga I did exactly what you did taking the course in my forties with all these young kids and men that was a trip, I waited an bought my bike after the course. What a big difference learning on a honda to buying a sportster 1200. Man I thought I was gonna kill myself so did my ex-boyfriend thats why he's my ex. Keep riding. I'm having a blast right now riding.
  • April 23, 2010 7:45 PM PDT
    Hi Inga; I am a newbie also . I bought my first bike last OCT.(650cc) . I am 71 yrs young. A month later moved up to a 950cc and now a few months later I ride a Yamaha roadliner (1854cc). Surprizingly the big bike handles much better for me than the smaller ones but I still ride scared. I tip over at stops from time to time and riding over 55 MPH makes me tense. I am going to AMERICADE THIS YEAR BUT TRAILERING THE BIKE FROM PA BECAUSE i DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE ON THE THRUWAYS WITH SO LITTLE EXPERIENCE,ESPECIALLY WITH MY WIFE ON THE BACK.i AM GRATEFUL TO ALL THE BIKERS i HAVE MET WHO ARE ALWAYS WILLING TO OFFER ADVICE AND OR HELP. wHAT A GREAT GROUP OF PEOPLE. OOPS..caps lock Sorry,I'm not shouting,just a poor typestLOL