Low Fuel Indicator Light - Adjustment?

• 5420 posts
    April 18, 2010 10:19 AM PDT
    Anyone know how to adjust when the Low Fuel Indicator on a Road King comes on.  Laura and I were just out for a ride, I actually saw the light come on, and less than 8 miles later we were sputtering.  Seems like you should get more than that at 55 mph on a level road!!!
  • April 18, 2010 10:38 AM PDT
    wow not sure how to adjust it. when mine comes on i still have 57 miles to go.the manual says the light comes on with 1 gallon left in the tank.
    • 5420 posts
    April 18, 2010 11:14 AM PDT
    Yeah, that's what I thought. But my 5 gallon tank took 5.01 gallons less than 10 miles after the light coming on!
  • April 18, 2010 12:40 PM PDT
    About 40 miles on my 04, and about 50 on my 99. I'm uncertain how to adjust that either or if it is even adjustable at all. I always reset my trip odometer at each fill up and estimate my mpg based on conditions. Since both bikes get in the mid 40's typically, I figure fill it up at 160. On a road trip even more. (5 gallon tank) Error on the safe side. So far no sputters. Use your trip odometer if you dont already.

Thanx,

jb
  • April 19, 2010 2:56 AM PDT
    Best get a new sending unit and be done with it. The units can be adjusted but chances are you'll make it worst instead of better. And use your trip meter about a 148 reading be thinking fuel stop. It serves two purposes: 1- ya don't haveta worry about pushin the bike up over the mountain to the next station ( they're always uphill - never down hill) 2: It drives the cagers behind you in the gas line nuts when you sit there and reset your trip meter, after filling your tank. I even had one walk up and ask me what I was doing once. Told him that I was rewinding the spring that made the bike go. The guy was dumb enough to ask how many miles I got before I had to wind her up again. GO FIQURE!
  • April 19, 2010 2:31 PM PDT
    That's pretty funny Sarge.

On my '98 Road King it came on with way over a gallon left in the tank. Now with my '03 it's just about a gallon. I pretty much go by my mileage too. I'm very bad about stopping for gas until I absolutely have to..I know it's not good on the fuel injection, but that's just me. I don't usually start looking for a gas station until I'm at 180 miles, I know I can get 200.
  • April 19, 2010 2:54 PM PDT
    My Suzuki C90 has a pump in the tank for the Fuel Injectors. The fuel cools the pump. Low fuel levels cause the pump to heat up and can be an early death for the pump.. Better to fuel often and save the pump life. Same thing happens in a car system.. Note Jun the pump dry and it will wear the pump gear shortening the usable pump life..
  • April 19, 2010 3:30 PM PDT
    in automotive, you put whatever quantity of gas in the tank and "tweak" the float arm till it reads what you want it to, i am not sure about the float assembly in a bike tank. let me refer to one of my bibles, i'll get back to you.
  • May 3, 2010 11:30 AM PDT
    I had to laugh when I read your post. These HD guages just let you know there MIGHT be gas in the tank. If you lean the bike to the left at a stop light the low fuel light will go off. Hmmm...it must be multiplying. Stick to watching the odometer.
    • 19028 posts
    May 3, 2010 12:02 PM PDT
    Sorry Lucky, get a carb with reserve petcock HA HA HA
    couldn't resist.
    • 2072 posts
    May 3, 2010 12:07 PM PDT
    hgsc90 wrote...
    My Suzuki C90 has a pump in the tank for the Fuel Injectors. The fuel cools the pump. Low fuel levels cause the pump to heat up and can be an early death for the pump.. Better to fuel often and save the pump life. Same thing happens in a car system.. Note Jun the pump dry and it will wear the pump gear shortening the usable pump life..

Howard, I was not aware of that !!!! Thank you for posting it. Don't really like the thought of buying a fuel pump !!!!!!! The things you can learn on this forum !

• 5420 posts
    May 3, 2010 12:34 PM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    Sorry Lucky, get a carb with reserve petcock HA HA HA
    couldn't resist.

I would love to have a carb again!!!

• May 4, 2010 1:28 AM PDT
    Ok Lucky.. carbs are cool..I have had many rebuilds from mini Mikunis to 1100 Hollys but the New fuel injection systems have run perfect from sea level to mountain tops and hauling solo to double and packed with out having to adjust or concern of rich or lean conditions.. I love New Tech.. Howard
    • 2072 posts
    May 4, 2010 2:34 AM PDT
    hgsc90 wrote...
    Ok Lucky.. carbs are cool..I have had many rebuilds from mini Mikunis to 1100 Hollys but the New fuel injection systems have run perfect from sea level to mountain tops and hauling solo to double and packed with out having to adjust or concern of rich or lean conditions.. I love New Tech.. Howard

• September 6, 2010 5:30 PM PDT
    in automotive, you put whatever quantity of gas in the tank and "tweak" the float arm till it reads what you want it to, i am not sure about the float assembly in a bike tank. let me refer to one of my bibles, i'll get back to you.

I agree, you have to tweak the float arm just abit
    • 0 posts
    September 6, 2010 7:40 PM PDT
    Huh im riding my shovel this week............
    • 58 posts
    September 7, 2010 3:53 AM PDT
    I love fuel injection... Start, put the gloves on and go. No more restarts at the stop sign around the corner, etc. My RK warn light has come on once. Fueled 2-3 miles later and put 4.5 gals in. I use the trip meter at 150 - 180 miles. My '05 FLHP gets a fairly consistent 40 MPG. That would be every other time my son has to stop for go juice with his 800 Intruder.