Ladies Who Do You Ride With ?

• August 27, 2010 3:37 AM PDT
    I rode on the back for 1 summer and then decided why not....I can do that. I sat on my bike every Friday on my lunch break for about 4 weeks. Then June 19, 2008 I made that sweet red bike MINE! With one month of training...my husband and I took our bikes on our honeymoon down the Oregon Coast....it was FN awesome! I guess I inspired my sis (post right above me....HI SIS!), cause now she is riding more than me....well, she gets warmer weather longer in Kentucky than I get in Montana (not fair)! There is nothing like the freedom of riding alone...it really does something to a women's self esteem, at least it did to mine. It made me stronger, braver and I felt something on my own bike that no man, no paycheck, no society could ever give me. I found me on the back of my bike.
    • 23 posts
    August 27, 2010 6:50 AM PDT

I want to make more biker lady friends but I feel like they look down on me because I ride backseat to my hubby.

I doubt they look down on ya. I know I don't. I started out on the back of a bike, but the man kept trying to dump me. He only succeeded after 6 years, and now he feels like a dumb ass. 
    all that matters is that you're on a bike, and LOVING IT!!
    • 25 posts
    August 27, 2010 8:40 PM PDT
    "There is nothing like the freedom of riding alone...it really does something to a women's self esteem, at least it did to mine. It made me stronger, braver and I felt something on my own bike that no man, no paycheck, no society could ever give me. I found me on the back of my bike."

A truer statement has never been said.  Kudos to you.

I went to the BRC on April 9 of this year. I recieved the M for my license on April 12th.  That day I headed out on my own and did my first 50 miles alone.  I haven't stopped.  I'm just over 10,000 now and will be doing my first long trip in September.  Yes, I found me on the back of my bike.  You gave me goose bumps, thanks for that.

• 580 posts
    September 15, 2010 3:37 AM PDT
    lcHOOT wrote...

I want to make more biker lady friends but I feel like they look down on me because I ride backseat to my hubby.

I doubt they look down on ya. I know I don't. I started out on the back of a bike, but the man kept trying to dump me. He only succeeded after 6 years, and now he feels like a dumb ass. 
    all that matters is that you're on a bike, and LOVING IT!!

I don't know anyone that looks down on lady pillions as opposed to riders - it's true that all that matters is that you're on a bike. 

I, like many, started pillion then decided I wanted a bit of the action  too.  Wasn't the easiest thing I did learning to ride and took me a long time to gain confidence and pass my test but I absolutely love it.  Used to ride out only with my ex but he left earlier this year.  Originally thought I'd not have the confidence to ride out alone but as soon as I got the bike out of the garage to try there's been no stopping me.  Done 6,000 miles over the last 3-4 months and it's the best way ever of clealring away the cobwebs and re-affirming what a strong, confident woman I am.  The more you ride the greater your confidence and the better your skill.  Still learning but that's what's great about it - no ride is ever the same.   You girls rock and don't let anyone tell you otherwise - rider OR pillion.  Big Hugs (o:

• October 1, 2010 2:05 AM PDT
    I mostly ride with guy friends but like to ride with the girls too when they get out.. Ride a lot of poker runs,by myself,dosent matter long as I ride..
  • October 12, 2010 12:49 AM PDT
    I ride next to my husband but sometimes I just like riding alone. It's a great way to clear my head!
    • 9 posts
    October 22, 2010 3:28 PM PDT
    When I started riding dirt bikes in the seventies, I got those looks from the guys. When I started winning, at riding those same bikes, I got more than looks. When I moved up to road bikes, there were no other women on the road. Anywhere. Daunting, yes, but it didn't stop me. Not at all. I've been considered a "tom boy" all of my life and I wasn't gonna let a little "good natured" (or not) commentary make any decisions for me.

I bought my first Harley, in the mid-eighties. It was a basket case 1973 Sporster. Leaked more oil than I could carry. She was always "marking her spot". I bought my first brand new Sportster in 1990. She was a HI-FI Blue & Silver 1200XLHCustom. One of only about 500 with that paint scheme. Although I bought her 1990, she was a 1991, early release. She was my life, we went everywhere together. I even rode until I was seven months pregnant with my son. (He was born with an HD bar and shield logo birthmark, under his right arm,my right hand to God!) I sent a pic of that to Milwaukee and was told it made it to the "wall of fame".

Although my marriage didn't last, me and that bike stayed together, through thick, thin, two near misses and one big splat (on oil). We kept getting back up and on the road. Unfortunately, career misfortune overcame us, and because I had a son to raise, I had to sell that bike. It BROKE MY HEART. My divorce didn't upset me as much.  It'd been almost 10 years, and I couldn't afford another bike until last year. I now, proudly own another Sportster. She's a 1993XLHCustom, and I love her. But the bond isn't quite the same. I have found my new bike, she's a 2006! I call her the great pumpkin. And in a few short weeks, I will show her off. She is currently being "tweeked". Catchy, huh? I don't want to give anything away until the unveiling.

What's my point? Well, if you're a woman, and you've always thought about riding, I'm here to tell you...GET OFF YOUR ASS, AND GO RIDE!!!
    There is no single other experience like it. Better than sex? You be the judge! Harley's are the only vibrators that I have ever owned! TMI, sorry girls, but there is really no other way of making this point any clearer. I coined a phrase in 1985, and someone stole it, it goes...put some excitement between your legs...PEACE  Tweek
  • November 11, 2010 1:47 PM PST
    I ride with me friends/roomates and sometimes i ride alone.Any lady riders in coastal NC?
  • November 18, 2010 2:11 PM PST
    I learned to ride in 2008 at age 47ish; my husband has absolutely *no* interest and never will. I ride with my brothers (who have ridden all their lives) on charity runs but otherwise their schedules don't mesh with mine. I found great people to ride with through another online forum, and they have become pretty much like family to me actually.

Otherwise, I ride alone which I actually enjoy a lot.
  • November 18, 2010 2:50 PM PST
    Traccie wrote...
    "There is nothing like the freedom of riding alone...it really does something to a women's self esteem, at least it did to mine. It made me stronger, braver and I felt something on my own bike that no man, no paycheck, no society could ever give me. I found me on the back of my bike."

A truer statement has never been said.  Kudos to you.

I went to the BRC on April 9 of this year. I recieved the M for my license on April 12th.  That day I headed out on my own and did my first 50 miles alone.  I haven't stopped.  I'm just over 10,000 now and will be doing my first long trip in September.  Yes, I found me on the back of my bike.  You gave me goose bumps, thanks for that.

I agree 100%

• November 19, 2010 11:47 PM PST
    I ride my own alone! To much dramma being a chick ridin with guys! My exp. is Girls are to bitchy and want to hook up with the biker guys we meet, and the guys think they own you! dont need that shit just want some wind in my face and thoughts outa my head!
  • November 21, 2010 2:37 PM PST
    I rode on the back with boyfriends when I was young. I took the test and had my endorsement many years before I actually got my own bike. My first bike was a Honda Shadow 750 about 12 years ago that I got a great deal on from an older friend who was buying herself a Dyna for her 50th. I had that bike for about a year or two and sold it to get my own Harley, but then the car died and the money went towards a new 4 wheel vehicle. I always had that yearning to ride again, and occasionally (VERY seldom) would get on the back of my boyfriend's bike. A few years ago, while talking to another female rider, I was talking about wanting to ride again and the fact I am not getting any younger....she said --exacty--- you arent, so get a bike if thats what you want! A while later, while shopping for a ceiling fan on a Friday, the Harley dealer was just a few stores away so I stopped in with my boyfriend to check it out and the Harley was in the driveway on Monday. (ceiling fan and all other house projects went undone for the rest of the year). I usually now ride with my boyfriend, but also by myself. I also belong to a few riding groups in the area as well as HOG, so there is ALWAYs somewhere to go, something to do, alone or with others.
  • November 22, 2010 2:05 PM PST
    I have been doing a lot of riding by myself lately. I just moved to a new area so I haven't met anyone to ride with yet. However it really doesn't matter to me who I ride with, girl, guy, or couple, as long as they enjoy riding as much as I do. I am not really big on stop at every bar or tourist attraction type rider. When I ride I I like to get away and just spend as much time on the road enjoying the scenery right from my motorcycle.
  • November 26, 2010 8:22 AM PST
    I am scared to death to ride by myself...
  • November 26, 2010 10:38 AM PST
    ^ Interesting sentiment, freckles. I think you have more nerve than I have.  

It took me a long time to get the guts to ride *with* anybody. I think I just didn't want any witnesses to the inevitable stall here and there, that near-drop, and the one time I ran out of gas and couldn't remember which way to turn the petcock before it died completely.

As long as I have a cell phone in my pocket I never feel alone, but riding solo I never lose anybody at a red light and nobody gives me trouble when I make a "wrong" turn.
  • November 26, 2010 12:23 PM PST
    freckles wrote...
    I am scared to death to ride by myself...

Fear is temporary..... Regret, is FOREVER!  Learn to ride, you'll LOVE IT!  
  • November 26, 2010 1:08 PM PST
    I think there is nothing better than riding on the back an holding on while feeling the wind in my face. Maybe one day I will want to ride on my own : )
    • 58 posts
    November 26, 2010 1:22 PM PST
    Babysteps!
  • November 26, 2010 2:10 PM PST
    I will try ...
    • 580 posts
    November 26, 2010 11:32 PM PST
    freckles wrote...
    I think there is nothing better than riding on the back an holding on while feeling the wind in my face. Maybe one day I will want to ride on my own : )

Hiya Freckles - it CAN BE a little scary at first but with proper tuition and patient tutors you will get there and find that it is one of the most excting and exhilarating things you can do for yourself.  I didn't take easy to learning to ride and I took several goes at my test before passing - I was always nervous going out and breathed huge sighs of relief when I got home but enjoyed the inbetweens.  Over the years I have gained more experience (though I still do have much to learn) but I really do enjoy the feeling of freedom riding gives me.

Give it a go - you might just find it less scary than you think

Hugs (o:
  • November 27, 2010 12:09 AM PST
    freckles wrote...

Now I don't think you're braver than I am, I *know* you are!... I won't ride behind anybody, I have too many trust issues with that (I blame my brothers, lol).  Sure, I'd love to be able to, but can't make myself.

Anywho, seems to me it would be a good thing for your partner if you learned how to operate the bike, in case they need you to take over for some reason.  Best wishes, whatever you choose to do. 
    • 58 posts
    November 27, 2010 12:15 AM PST
    Just my take on this.... You are ALL great to be in the wind! At least, on the back with someone else driving, you can look around and take some really cool pics!
  • November 28, 2010 12:17 PM PST
    Hi, I am one of the new guys here and I just read all of the above and would like to add my .02 worth. I have ridden almost all my life (long time). When I got married in 1989 my wife had never ridden, but she bought our first bike together. About a year later she took the MSF course and got her first bike, a Honda 750. She immediatley upgraded to a 1200 cruiser. She now rides a R* 1700 and had made a couple of long distance trips by herself. Unfortunatley we just recently divorced. She of course kept her bike and I expect her to 'Keep on Riding'. For all you gals who are thinking about it, my wife didn't start riding till around 39 and wouldn't have things any other way. I wish her and all of you who do take the big step and get your own bike the best. Ride Safe! Oh yeah, of course I still ride my own!
    • 1066 posts
    November 28, 2010 1:05 PM PST
    Thumbs Up Ladies, Thumbs Up to all of you, that ride your own bike. Riding a motorcycle is one of the greatest enjoyments anyone could ever have. It damned near killed me once, but I still ride and I still love it.
  • December 1, 2010 9:15 AM PST
    I have only rode my own. not really the back seat kind. Have been there 2 short trips the first 6 miles and I said never again, the 2nd( had to give it another chance) about 1/2 mile... Nope!!! not for me!! ..I think the people the ride the back are the bravest people in the world, ^.^.