A place for Harley

• March 3, 2010 5:08 AM PST
    Harley is not my ride, Harley is my dog, who hapens to be a Whippet. (My ride is Candy.)
    Harley is not small enough to ride in a backpack, nor is he so large he should be in a trailer. Nor would I want to pull a trailer.
    He is about 20 pounds. 

My question is to find or build a kind of dog box for him, and not just a square thing. Something with a little style!  It won't work to have an airplane carrier box, they are just too bulky and obscene looking. I have only seen dog "boxes" for very small dogs. 

Anyone with any ideas? Thanks, would appreciate advice. Spider
  • March 3, 2010 5:23 AM PST
    Check out the RoadHound motorcycle pet carrier. Claims to be good for up to 30#.
  • March 3, 2010 5:26 AM PST
    Saw a Saint Bernard a few months ago riding in a sidecar?
  • March 3, 2010 5:50 AM PST
    I'll post a pic of my buddy who always rides with his pup "Chewy", they were even in an accident that put him in the hospital for a few days, Chewy was fine!
  • March 3, 2010 6:00 AM PST
    Good Luck!
  • March 6, 2010 6:30 AM PST
    fartking69 wrote...
    Check out the RoadHound motorcycle pet carrier. Claims to be good for up to 30#.
    Thanks! Will check it out!
  • March 6, 2010 6:33 AM PST
    Good Luck!
    Thanks Stephanie!
    He looks like a good sized dog in that photo you sent, and seems to ride along fine. However, I would need a carrier that has a cover from the elements, my skinny whippet does not do well when it rains!
  • March 6, 2010 6:34 AM PST
    bikersarge1 wrote...
    Saw a Saint Bernard a few months ago riding in a sidecar?

Thanks! I do not want to do a sidecar...I enjoy riding the curves too much! But I do appreciate your reply!

• March 6, 2010 6:40 AM PST
    fartking69 wrote...

Hi,
    Just checked it out...forgot I checked it last autumn. The RoadHound carrier is discontinued...all sizes. But that would have been it!

• 19034 posts
    March 6, 2010 11:51 PM PST
    Check out dogsonbikes.com or beastriders.com There might be something there you would be interested in.
    • 467 posts
    March 7, 2010 1:44 AM PST
    I had a local leather worker make mine to fit both my dog and my tank.
  • March 8, 2010 12:14 AM PST
    spider wrote...
    fartking69 wrote...

Hi,
    Just checked it out...forgot I checked it last autumn. The RoadHound carrier is discontinued...all sizes. But that would have been it!

Sorry, didn't read that far into it.  For that size dog about the only other option is to get a trailer style carrier or a smaller dog.  Good luck with the search.  Maybe consider a custom build.
    • 467 posts
    March 8, 2010 2:19 AM PST
    The one I had made for my dogs has a fleece liner that draws up over the whole thing and secures with a drawstring. I can completely cover them, or just draw it up to his neck, or secure it to the sides for really nice weather. Although my min-pin is a big baby and is always coldl. Had a leather guy is Spearfish SD make it for me.
    • 834 posts
    March 8, 2010 3:11 AM PST
    would like to see a pic of that cniaco...
  • March 31, 2010 6:48 PM PDT
    cnciaco wrote...
    The one I had made for my dogs has a fleece liner that draws up over the whole thing and secures with a drawstring. I can completely cover them, or just draw it up to his neck, or secure it to the sides for really nice weather. Although my min-pin is a big baby and is always coldl. Had a leather guy is Spearfish SD make it for me.

Hi!
    Thanks, could I see a picture of that fleece liner? Does it sit on the seat or gas tank?

• 5420 posts
  • April 1, 2010 3:01 AM PDT
    You might like this site for some ideas........... www.bikerdogsmc.org/members/membersS-Z.php />
    Here's another, www.dogsonbikes.com/docs/HomePage/HomePage.htm
  • April 1, 2010 9:59 AM PDT
    I was just watching something the other night on TV, it was the rally in Reno or Vegas. I saw someone who cut an opening in the top of a standard HD tour pack and then mounted a windshield across the front edge of the opening. They did a great job on it and it looked pretty cool.
  • December 3, 2010 6:52 AM PST
    Here's how I solved the dog issue...