I had a thought, (uh oh)

• February 17, 2010 3:41 AM PST

Early 70 put a base and 2 mobil 19 channels on line with government liscenes call.  Was the North country emergency com system.  Connected wreckers, police and ambulances with neddy people.  Wife worked 80 miles away.  Connections with other bases along the interstate and rolling mobils set up a lot of face3 to face and coffee connections..watch families grow.  Spanish skip and traffic cut use to 1/4 mile max.  just about useless..
  • February 17, 2010 4:16 AM PST
    I graduated to ham radio years back, we are very active nationwide providing back up com in disasters, huge network of volunteers. We put eyeballs on tornados for the Nat. Weather Service when conditions are favorable for developement and assist in hurricanes here whenever they blow through.
    • 352 posts
    February 17, 2010 4:26 AM PST
    yep - remember that stuff well - we did the Suffolk County REACT thing when I lived in Long Island - coffee stops for MDA on the expressway. and I got my amature radio technician lic. when I was 15.

You do realize this thread is REALLY showing some of our ages..
  • February 17, 2010 4:28 AM PST
    That means there's only a few of us that knows what a "Good Buddy" is
    • 19034 posts
    February 17, 2010 4:28 AM PST
    That's a big 10-4 Good Buddy, this is the picture takere here. (That was my handle for a while and let me tell ya it caused a lot of confusion.)

We're not aged, we just remember longer....
    • 352 posts
    February 17, 2010 4:30 AM PST
    10-4
  • February 17, 2010 4:30 AM PST
    outlaw marine band now being used in north woods areas away from Lake Superior. Fcc was cruising area in 05 tagging illegal radio use for Bear Hunting.
    • 1780 posts
    February 17, 2010 4:36 AM PST
    my handle back then...the gator casterator
  • February 17, 2010 4:36 AM PST
    My favorite Lot Lizzard is in jail right now...........
  • February 17, 2010 4:40 AM PST
    Sorry guys, I cant go back as far as you, but I remember I loved listening to the old 45's and 33's growing up and got to listen to some pretty good music back then.. I remember listening to House of the Rising Sun over and over. Now I don't know if you can even get that one in a cd...
    • 352 posts
    February 17, 2010 4:45 AM PST
    lol - I still have some of that vinyl - including the original "purple" vinyl from Deep Purple, before the commom re-press on black. Wonder what it's worth these days....

• February 17, 2010 4:45 AM PST
    • 352 posts
    February 17, 2010 4:49 AM PST
    lol - nice find!
  • February 17, 2010 5:02 AM PST
    Nothing is safe from youtube these days, ever see the Vincent 52 video? cool as shit.
  • February 17, 2010 5:15 AM PST
    From some of the comments I've read I see there are some old CB'ers and Hams. I use to be on CB in the 70's here in Australia and loved to talk all round the world. Will sy that I spoke all the states of the USA many times over as well as a couple of hundred countries.  Got a visit from the Radio Inspector and nice man gave me a slap on the wrist told me to get my ham licence. Have had that for ove 20 years now and still enjoy chatting around the world. Dont do QSL cards anymore except on receive first. Cost me more than my lots sending those cards. Could have bought a HD years ago. Also did packet,RTTY,Amtor,1,2 and Pactor.
    73's
    De Hoss
    • 352 posts
    February 17, 2010 5:20 AM PST
    ahh the old QSL cards...funny I remember my original call letters (KKD5855) but not my CB handle - and I have long let my Ham lic. go...though I do still have a few old cb's and a "special" amp sitting on the shelf...
  • February 17, 2010 5:20 AM PST
    I live a few miles from the coast here, spent many a night parked on the ocean talking skip round the world.
  • February 17, 2010 5:50 AM PST
    God what beautiful memeories y'all, makes me wax nostalgic myself...

But Flatlander, that last comment, WOW!

Now we all need to step outside and go for a walk in the fresh air and remember what it's like to live our lives and not just talk about it. Maybe this is what has got me feeling such a consuming need to travel and explore these days, i wonder?
    • 352 posts
    February 17, 2010 6:05 AM PST
    gonna be a nice weekend - I see a wash and wax of the old HOG and a bit of cruising this weekend
    • 75 posts
    February 17, 2010 6:08 AM PST
    Back in the '70's, my call letters were KAOR6071 and my handle was Red Leader (a Star Wars reference). I drove a red Dodge Charger, my buddy (IrishmanOhio) was Gold Leader. He drove a gold Challenger. We used our cars and CB's to repo. Good times and great memories! I like the flash back to Deep Purple... that's who gave me my tag line below.
  • February 17, 2010 7:08 AM PST
    My call back then was MB38. Now who remembers " SLADE" and their song "BORN TO BE WILD"? My daughter was made will we tried to listen to it ha ha..Going for a ride this weekend with a few friends.Was orginised last night on mobiles.Going to be about 90f on sunday. Not rubbing it in,well not really.
  • February 17, 2010 9:12 AM PST
    KDM6221 way back then. Vinyl and 8-tracks. CB with a speaker under the car hood. Still have about 400 vinyl albums, some worth alot, some worth nothing much, all in good condition. There is a fullness of sound with the vinyl not present in CDs.
  • February 17, 2010 1:04 PM PST
    Working for the government, we had IBM Selectric typewriters, then we went to Comp-U-Corp Word Processors, then IBM desktops, then first generation of Apples, then IBM Thinkpads, etc. etc. etc.

I was a teenager during the Smokey and the Bandit, Convy, timeframe. Everyone had a CB, and 8 tracks.

I thought my brother was super rich, because he had one of the huge phones mounted in his car, with a full size handset, and a coiled cable. We bought one of the first BAG phones.
  • February 17, 2010 8:58 PM PST
    Ole Burt grew up in Jupiter and still has homes here, filmed alot of the S&B scenes here around town between Jupiter and west Martin County. I worked for a man that built high end restaurants Burt frequented often with his friends. It's not easy trying to eat without spraying food sitting across the bar from Burt Reynolds, Dom DeLuise and Jerrry Reed believe me. lol .................. some 70's pics I took and scanned........

• February 17, 2010 11:10 PM PST
    Yup, it was kinda fun flipping the switch from low to high on the Henry "Mobile amp", Clicking the Ranger AR-3500 down a ways and ordering from the McDonalds drive thru from over a mile away! Drove the girls there crazy for a while trying to figure it out! Old CB call KAGP3308... Then they did away with the ticket. Went legal after that with Amateur Extra WV8RS... Still miss the CW for those of you that know...