Rock Chips!!!

• 467 posts
    May 5, 2017 9:54 AM PDT

So those of you that know me, know that I have had a lot of issues with my right arm. 8 surgeries down the road and I am missing a lot of bone, muscle, ligament and tissue. This has made riding the old Fatboy a bit difficult at times. So, for my birthday this year, Clay bought me a HD Freewheeler.

First ride down and the front of my rear fenders have a lot of rock chips! AAAARRRGGHHH!

Does anyone have a viable solution to this issue? I really don't want to Rhino line the front part of my fenders....

• 19028 posts
    May 6, 2017 7:41 AM PDT

Congrats on the new ride! Living where you do Rhino might be the only solution.

BUT...

I wonder if a longer front fender or a mud flap on the fender would help. Maybe someone is making chrome or stainless covers for the lower part of the rear fenders. If you're not using the rear floorboards possibly some sort of deflector could be made using their mounts. 

Good luck my friend and enjoy!

• 467 posts
    May 6, 2017 2:28 PM PDT

I will have to look into a mud flap for the front fender! Thank you! Keep em comin folks!

• 57 posts
    May 6, 2017 5:31 PM PDT

Hey Claudia,Very sorry to hear you are still having trouble with your arm but hopefully you will soon be through with surgeries and able to enjoy your new ride,HD makes a Rear Fender Bra for the  Tri-Glide and i have also seen clear paint guard shield kits in their parts catalog, I do not have Personal experience with either of these but maybe it will give you an option. part # for the fender bra is 57892-11 and the paint guard kit #for15 and later FLRT is 11100125,These #s are from a 2016 HD catalog Hope that helps some.

Take Care and Ride Safe

This post was edited by Hunter55 at May 7, 2017 4:12 AM PDT
    • 5420 posts
    May 7, 2017 7:06 AM PDT

The mud flap on the front fender that Mike recommended shounds like a good idea.  Unless you are following close to other vehicles the kicked-up debris is probably from your front wheel (just guessing)

The other option is have Clay ride on the back wearing really baggy chaps - that should shield the rear fenders :-)

• 5420 posts
    May 7, 2017 7:11 AM PDT

I see there are a number of rear fender bras available.  Not sure if I like the look though?  Maby just for the long hauls?

• 467 posts
    May 7, 2017 7:41 AM PDT

[blockquote]Hunter55 said:

Hey Claudia,Very sorry to hear you are still having trouble with your arm but hopefully you will soon be through with surgeries and able to enjoy your new ride,HD makes a Rear Fender Bra for the  Tri-Glide and i have also seen clear paint guard shield kits in their parts catalog, I do not have Personal experience with either of these but maybe it will give you an option. part # for the fender bra is 57892-11 and the paint guard kit #for15 and later FLRT is 11100125,These #s are from a 2016 HD catalog Hope that helps some.

Take Care and Ride Safe

[/blockquote]

I looked at these too, however! They do not fit the Freewheeler....Totally different type of fender. Hopefully in the near future they release one!

• 467 posts
    May 7, 2017 7:43 AM PDT

[blockquote]Lucky said:

The mud flap on the front fender that Mike recommended shounds like a good idea.  Unless you are following close to other vehicles the kicked-up debris is probably from your front wheel (just guessing)

The other option is have Clay ride on the back wearing really baggy chaps - that should shield the rear fenders :-)

[/blockquote]

Haha! We are currently looking at mud flaps. Clay would defo ride on back, but he was not too keen on the really baggy chaps!

• 467 posts
    May 7, 2017 7:44 AM PDT

[blockquote]Lucky said:

I see there are a number of rear fender bras available.  Not sure if I like the look though?  Maby just for the long hauls?

[/blockquote]

Since the new bike is black, these would be pretty unobtrusive. However, none fit the Freewheeler yet. Totally different fenders.

• 467 posts
    May 7, 2017 7:48 AM PDT

Take Care and Ride Safe

[/blockquote]

I did look at all of these. The fender bra does not fit the FLRT, totally different shape of fender. And the paint guard kit is great for just about every part BUT the front of the rear fenders! LOL!!! It's kinda funny that they missed this very important part! I am getting it though for what it can offer.

I certainly hope that the surgeries are done! 4 in 13 months and no working for a year and a half is too much!

• 57 posts
    May 7, 2017 5:54 PM PDT

• 57 posts
    May 7, 2017 5:59 PM PDT

Husband and wife have a Tri- glide and Freewheeler sitting next to each other, same fender bra. I'm not really sure I like them but it does save the paint

• 467 posts
    May 8, 2017 7:51 AM PDT

Husband and wife have a Tri- glide and Freewheeler sitting next to each other, same fender bra. I'm not really sure I like them but it does save the paint

[/blockquote]

Really?!?! They will fit with no mods on the FLRT? I will have to look into it! Yay!

• 57 posts
    May 9, 2017 5:10 AM PDT

Phil and Mary Ann said that they made no mods to the Flrt but they had to vary the installation instructions slightly to get them snug, sorry I didn't get more pix and better description on the install, I will see them next week if you need more,

• 467 posts
    May 10, 2017 7:12 AM PDT

Phil and Mary Ann said that they made no mods to the Flrt but they had to vary the installation instructions slightly to get them snug, sorry I didn't get more pix and better description on the install, I will see them next week if you need more,

[/blockquote]

Thanks so much! I am just gonna go for it! Already have a couple scratches on top from my dogs jumping in and out of their seat.