How Big is "TO BIG"

• April 17, 2016 11:27 AM PDT
     Well Night Dragon has gone from building Prayer Alters to Gun Post. I like to be well rounded in my post.
    This post is about conceal carry of your perfered handgun. As most of you know I am a huge fan of the 2nd Ammendent, and I believe the way the world has changed to the point that we all need to remain viligant to our surroundings, and be prepaired to protect out family, self, friends, and strangers at all times.
    I have changed my idea of open carry, as I now want to appear to be an innocent bystander with a gun under cover, as opposed to open carry. Now here is the crux of the post...
    How big of caliber is to big? I now carry a 45 cal semi-auto 4 inch barrel, or a 9mm semi-auto 5 inch barrel that I carry under my cover shirt. 
    I can tell you from experience that a person on some types of drugs is hard to stop with a 9mm and even a 40cal. What if you pulled from your hidding place a Smith & Wesson Model 29 44 Mag?
    Here is my question to the CF Family........If you had to (God Forbid) take a life with a 44 mag, what do you think the first thing the Police would say.
    My Guess...Why do you feel you needed to carry such a huge caliber gun? My question is ...what difference does it make if you (God Forbid) have to kill someone with 8 shots from a 9mm, or 5 shots from a 40, or 2 shots from a 45 cal........or one shot from a 44 mag. Dead is Dead
    I asked a Police Officer at a Gun Show once if I should load my home defense shotgun with Flechette rounds...(darts)? He said that it wouldn't look good for me if I killed an intruder with that round.
    What is the rules of shooting the bad guy. Shoot him nicely or as I was trained ........eliminate the threat. Even in training the instructors never said "KILL".
    Just would like commets from the Family
    Stay Sate
    Night Dragon

• April 17, 2016 12:38 PM PDT
    personal I like two subcompact 45's one in the boot one in my cut both loaded with Hot hollow point rounds with all the shootings going on here in bama it's a safe precaution to have back up But if I do have to take a life I know this for a Fact I will be arrested no matter if I save 100 other lives or only mine O I MIGHT not BE charged but still going to have to face all the red tape B.S. that goes alone with a shooting why because the few rule the many
    • 16795 posts
    April 17, 2016 1:14 PM PDT
    I was taught as a kid that Armageddon could happen at any time without notice, and what you have on you is all you have to work with, dress accordingly.
    • 57 posts
    April 17, 2016 9:42 PM PDT
    I think the Level of experience of the person carrying should dictate what caliber firearm they choose. We see folks all the time on the range shooting 45s and they can't hit the broad side of the barn so whats the point,If you can't hit what your shooting at its probably to big,while I enjoy shooting the 45 - 44 - and even the 50 I still prefer the G19 as my carry choice,pretty hard to beat.
  • April 18, 2016 1:02 AM PDT
    That is a very good point Hunter, and your mention of the range brings me to another question for the group. When you go to the range how do you practice? Do you run the target out as far as it will go and see how you will do at a distance, or do you bring the target up close say 5 to 8 feet where most real life situations would take place. Most ranges (at lease the ones I've been to) won't let you draw from your holster, so it's hard to replicate that situation. Do you practice, if you using a revolver, both single and double action. Do you practice with your weak hand as well. I'm a bit lucky in that I live in the woods and have a range both in the front yard, and out in the woods. I try to think of different ways of making my practice as real as possible.
    Just things I was wondering about with our Gun Folks.
    Be safe
    Night Dragon
    • 4 posts
    April 18, 2016 1:26 AM PDT
    I'm a fan of the 45 acp. Hard to beat as a defensive round. I'm also a person who loves 1911s....I carry a Commander in my cut that is a fantastic firearm. It was custom made by Gary Reeder. Also have a lil .380 semi auto that is usually somewhere on me.
    Yeah in today's F'd up PC liberal hell that we live in where perps have more rights than victims. Having flechettes in yer shotgun and or any special 'handloads' a Criminal Defense Atty will Contend that it Proves 'Pre Meditation' and that makes YOU the Bad Guy...
    What did Shakespeare say...First we kill ALL the Lawyers...
  • April 18, 2016 2:06 AM PDT
    personal at the range I like to do both but subcompacts aren't the best for a long shot but like dragon said real world situations are going to be close up WE do have a walk thur range as well with the pop up body targets that's as close to real world as you can get
    • 5417 posts
    April 18, 2016 4:04 AM PDT
    Well Dragon I don't there are really any rules for killing a bad guy. I would say to carry what you are comfortable with and you can handle with no problem in any situation. I prefer 9mm myself, a gun I am very comfortable shooting. I know it may not have the max power, but I am a fairly good shot and think I would have no problem stopping someone with a couple well placed shots.
    • 84 posts
    April 18, 2016 5:32 AM PDT
    I carried a 9mm most everywhere I went for many years. But when I left the US over 8 years ago I sold 'em all. Over here unless you're in the military or a cop it's pretty close to impossible to own any handgun bigger than a .22 And you won't legally get a shotgun or rifle unless you are currently a dues paying member of a hunting club in good standing.

It was a little strange at first but now it just feels normal and is one less thing to worry about. We just don't have that many gun toting criminals. And, heck, the government has offered to take up to 10,000 Syrian refugees but nobody wants to come here. We're too poor and they wouldn't get nearly as much govt assistance as other countries. And the Russian mafia keeps things pretty quiet.
    • 16795 posts
    April 18, 2016 12:25 PM PDT
    The other night in Erie 30 shots were fired only 1 hit anybody, he is dead.
    The cars and houses got shot up.
    I like Critical Defense and Magnum 00 Buck Shot Ammo, you only need to shoot once if you shoot well.
  • April 18, 2016 2:31 PM PDT
    45 in an 1911 frame is hard to beat
  • April 20, 2016 12:54 AM PDT
    Hey Cowboy I have to agree with you.......A 1911 feels so good in the hand. Another cool thing about 1911's is the many different styles of grips there are.
    Stay Safe
    Check 6 Often
    Night Dragon
  • April 20, 2016 12:56 AM PDT
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    I like Critical Defense and Magnum 00 Buck Shot Ammo, you only need to shoot once if you shoot well.

Hey Rev your right about that.......The Bad Guys now days sometimes use the same style of shooting as we did in VietNam..........."Spray and Pray"
    ND

• 1 posts
    April 20, 2016 12:26 PM PDT
    My thoughts are any body carry should only carry a caliber that they are very efficient with. A 45 is not going to do any good if you can not hit your target with it. I carry either my 9 or 380. both of them I am very accurate with. I do practice close and far shots and even though neither of these calibers are going to be as good on that far shoot. Hitting the person is going to help me out better then hitting the car.  But I will say I liked reading this and seeing what others people thought.

• 16795 posts
    April 20, 2016 3:44 PM PDT
    NightDragon wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...

Hey Rev your right about that.......The Bad Guys now days sometimes use the same style of shooting as we did in VietNam..........."Spray and Pray"
    ND

The school board should bring back markmanship classes, maybe not the brightest idea but it will lower collateral damages. 

• April 21, 2016 4:56 AM PDT
     My front yard range.......Targets are about 8 to 12 yards

Night Dragon

• 16795 posts
    April 21, 2016 11:40 AM PDT
    Nice set up.
    • 9 posts
    April 21, 2016 3:22 PM PDT
    I won't EVER change my mind...Kenny!!! 

Open carry was the "law of the land", and it worked, til those that came to "power" in gov't
    decided, "we" couldn't be trusted....

How's that for paranoia? EH?

If you ain't F' Kin UP? You a'int got nuthin' to worry about, eh?

Thems WAS the RULES...or used to be.  RIGHT?

This country ain't what it used to be, and we ALL know WHY.
    Their "paranoia" may be well earned...(God'll show the LIGHT into their darkness).

Cause if this SHIT keeps up?

We're gonna DO, what has to be done, then... EH?
    We will do what our FOUNDING FATHERS said...
    we HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO!!!

And take OUR COUNTRY BACK!

Ride Free - FOREVER

Tweek
    • 1 posts
    April 22, 2016 12:26 AM PDT
    I like the set up Night Dragon, and have thought about doing a pop up target pratice range at the family farm. But never seem to have enough time it actually do it.
    Please tell me the pink ear protectors are your wife?
    • 5417 posts
    April 22, 2016 2:36 AM PDT
    Very cool Dragon. I miss free outdoor target shooting. The area I live is so congested now there is nowhere to shoot except indoor ranges without having to drive for hours.  They are okay for pure working, but sometimes you just want to shoot a can or  milk jug.
  • April 23, 2016 12:03 AM PDT
    Bitchy wrote...
    I like the set up Night Dragon, and have thought about doing a pop up target pratice range at the family farm. But never seem to have enough time it actually do it.
    Please tell me the pink ear protectors are your wife?

Yes the pink ones belong to the Misses 

• April 23, 2016 12:23 AM PDT
    If you notice in the first picture there is a 1/2" thick round steel plate with a X on it.
    This is the guns and there results that I have shot that plate with.
    9mm......couldn't even find the mark
    45 ACP could find the mark but no penetration
    223 Colt M-16 ....could see small dimple but no penetration
    30-30 Winchester...could see the mark but no penetration.....less than the M-16
    S&W Model 29 44 Mag...about 1/16" of penetration
    Now the one that was the most impressive with 1/4" penetration.....Ruger Mini-30...7.62x39

Now you know why the AK-47 is so popular with Terrorist. 7.62x39 is one hard hitting round.
    Be safe out there and check 6 often
    Night Dragon

• 1161 posts
    April 23, 2016 9:25 PM PDT
    I carry S&W M&P 9mm full size as my EDC. I'm looking at a possible .38 Special+ as my backup. Just picked up an Remington 870 Express last year and converted it for home defence. I think everyone should get range time in and practice shooting it is a perishable skill. Just wish I could find a place that was free to go to here.
    • 611 posts
    May 16, 2016 7:48 AM PDT
    Carried a 45 acp 1911 for years. Dependable and easy to shoot. Then it was a 357 Ruger w/4" barrel. Now I carry a S&W Chief 9mm. I had to drop the heavier pieces/calibers because of my inability to absorb the recoil. What I used to be able to shoot easily, now causes so much pain that it would be 'detrimental' in a confrontation. I still practice regularly at the gravel pit, walking or jogging and standing still. Close and far (2-8 ft and 12-20 ft) and everywhere in between.
    That's a nice range you've set up! Staying sharp I see.
    I agree with you on 'open carry', I prefer to carry concealed. I have done both and think that for some things, stealth is important. Also, I agree with SunChaser... If I shoot someone (especially away from home) I expect to be arrested. Even if they release me later for a 'justified shooting', I have no doubt what the police will do. Even in my home, I would expect them to 'take me in for questioning'. A good rule of thumb "There can be no holes in the back of the intruder". It shows you didn't shoot defensively if there are holes in his back! lol
    Thanks for the post, it's good to share ideas and info with like-minded folks.
    Edge 'Stealth' Walker
    • 11 posts
    October 21, 2016 11:25 AM PDT

AsphaltCowboy. My husband Scott says the same thing!