OLD Dogs, Their Treasures an the stories behind them

• February 14, 2016 4:10 AM PST

This started a few months back, Dad an I were sitting in my garage Pop was looking around I asked what he was looking for, O nothing really its just everything in here is neat an clean where my shop is a wreck and how much I let stuff pile up. SO you want help cleaning your shop TO which Dad laughed yeah that'd work YOU see OLD Dogs never ask for help their to sly for that they work it in. This pasted Friday was Cleaning DAY I arrived that morning an asked So what we going do with all this JUNK big mistake I got the BOY let me tell you one thing this junk is a lifetime of Treasures not no dam JUNK ! Lesson OLD Dogs have Treasure not JUNK. AS WE cleaned and relocated said Treasure to the Barn I came across pieces of old choppers which lead to stories of Bike Rallies of OLD Day not these Money PITS of Today. WE had finished by the end of the day I'd made last run to the barn I found Dad sitting in a Captains seat out of one of his old Peterbilt trucks holding some Rosary beads, I asked about the beads , YOU remember Spanish Ray, yeah. HE gave them to me back in 69 I'D been home a year from my TOUR looking for real work nobody wanted to give Us so called Baby killers a job but I landed a job Suicide Jockey haulin NITRO and while sittin around the campfire after a day ride OL Ray pulls them from his hip pocket and says Si you crazy ass gringo your going to be needing these more than me. Haulin nitro for two years was how I came up with enough money to buy my first truck then the TRUCKING Company an you know the rest looking around Dad said we did good work you know two more Harleys would fit in here now no problem I just laughed an said you think. OLD DOGS HAVE THE BEST STORIES !

• 4 posts
    February 15, 2016 4:22 PM PST
    Just took the time to read this.
    Treasure those moments brother.
    Im headed North & main reason is I promised my Dad id see him in May. Hes in his mid 80s now and the last cpl have not been kind to him. I call him 2 times a week & he never forgets to tell me that he cant wait to see me roll up on my bike-(he rode like a madman in his day). My fam tells me that he might not be around much longer and they think hes waiting on me. I dunno but I dread the concept of life with Him gone.
    • 84 posts
    February 15, 2016 8:37 PM PST
    Growing up without a father I had an uncle that stepped into the position in my mid teens. Seems he was quite a rascal when he was younger. Never had any trouble with the police but that was likely due more to blind luck than his halo.

He quit school in about the 5th grade to help support the family and being poor spent his life figuring how to make things work again with little of anything new. But he could fix anything and could figure out how to get any job done. The things he came up with were always cracking me up. Smartest man I've ever known.

Sad that he died on my first job in Africa in the 90s. No internet, no cell phones and intermittent land lines. Family tried for 2 days to call. Finally called the company and the company had a base 2 countries away call me on the radio. No chance to get back to the US in time for the funeral.
    • 1 posts
    February 15, 2016 10:04 PM PST
    Great story and I am betting even better memory that will be cherished.
    • 467 posts
    February 16, 2016 1:26 AM PST
    Awesome story! My Dad is long gone now, but I ride with a lot of his old friends and still get to hear a lot "Ol' Art" stories and I treasure them all.
    • 57 posts
    February 18, 2016 6:47 AM PST
    Old Dogs for sure,my dad passed away in 2014 at 91years old,he was born and died on the same farm and the only
    time he was more than 150 miles from home was WWII when he operated an LST for the Navy at the invasion of Normandy France, talk about a fish out of water,after the war he went back to being a auto mechanic and a mechanic in the oil fields and farming the families land so you talk about collecting (junk) Treasures we found things in the machine shed that were Older than Dad we think,He could fix almost anything and definitely never threw anything away if he could help it,you and your dad should build that frame you found then his junk would be your treasure. Ride Safe All
    • 3006 posts
    February 18, 2016 4:29 PM PST

You have a really special bond with your father,and it is some thing to be cherished always.
    One mans treasure is another persons junk,until you hear the story behind it.

Two things my father gave me, was a love for motorcycles & sailing. When I bought my first motorcycle,my Mom went crazy, yet my Dad reminded her of a time back when they both rode together & calmed her down. He mentioned an old Harley he rode & he had my Mom dig out this old photo of them nearly covered head to toe in mud n oil coming back from a ride together. She made me promise to wear a helmet & I have pretty much done that for the last 40+ years. Funny thing is that old photo is probably worth more to me in sentimental value than a whole host of other stuff I have.

Thanks for sharing, stay safe & enjoy the ride!