Performance upgrade question

• October 3, 2014 4:36 AM PDT
    I bought my 06 Honda Shadow Aero a few months ago from a private seller who had already added Cobra pipes on the bike. I am wanting to upgrade my air intake and was looking at the Cobra power flo, will i need to do anything to the fuel management by adding this upgrade? Should there be any upgrades with just the aftermarket pipes? Any help is appreciated
    • 3006 posts
    October 3, 2014 5:04 AM PDT
    Typically people rejet the carb when doing pipes and air mods.On my 98 ACE 750 I changed the pipes to Vance & Hines & never did any other mod.I did adjust the carb idle settings thats about it.Other then the occasional backfire never had any problems with her.One very dependable ride.
  • October 3, 2014 5:38 AM PDT
    I'm not sure if the previous owner did anything to the carb or not, i'm not a mechanic and don't know much about those things but the bike runs great in my opinion i would just like to get rid of that monster air box. thank you for the info
    • 5420 posts
    October 3, 2014 5:52 AM PDT
    I would personally go ahead and change the intake and if the bike runs & performs well, don't worry about it. If you get backfiring and/or reduced performance take it to a good mechanic and have the carb re-jetted and tuned for the setup.

• 207 posts
    October 3, 2014 5:53 AM PDT
    My wife had a '07 Shadow ACE 750. I put VH pipes on for her. VH recomended a main jet of 20. The stock carb already had a 20 main jet and all I had to do was set the needle to their specs. I want to say I ran the needle all the way in and backed it out 3 1/2 turns but I'm not positive on that.

If you put a higher-flow intake you'll definitely want to get more fuel flowing through the carb to mix with the extra air.
  • October 3, 2014 5:57 AM PDT
    Thanks, the previous owner took good care of the bike so i'm thinking he might have had the carb worked on when he added the pipes.
    • 207 posts
    October 3, 2014 6:01 AM PDT
    If the bike is running good and the pipes aren't turning blue then you're in good shape, fuel-wise.
  • October 3, 2014 6:11 AM PDT
    the pipes are not turning colors. thanks for the info
  • October 3, 2014 7:22 AM PDT
    The best thing would be to call the previous owner if possible and ask him or her specifically what they had done first, before you start buying extra gear that the bike might allready have. If he won't say or don't know then ask him where and what shop he had work on the bike. Most shops keep a record of what they have done. Typically though if your changing the air intake from stock to modified then a remapping or some jet work would be required to get the most out of the add on's you made. good luck and let us know what happens.
    • 3006 posts
    October 3, 2014 3:28 PM PDT
    You should be able to get some after market air box that fits right.Yet I am not sure it would be smaller.Most of the aftermarket ones I have seen,look larger to me than stock.
    Hope you find one that works okay.
  • October 6, 2014 12:01 AM PDT
    Thanks for all the advice. I will definately let you all know what i find out,
  • June 18, 2015 10:50 PM PDT
    Another thing to look for is an ignition advancer, will give you a little more bottom end power.