Polaris Slingshot-a three wheel bike or a car missing a wheel

• August 12, 2014 12:22 PM PDT
     A new ride, wheel set like can-am but seating like a sports car.  2.4 liter GM Ecotec four, five speed with reverse.  A different look for a hotrod.  How would you test for a license.?
    • 5419 posts
    August 12, 2014 3:06 PM PDT
    Well the best I could do describing it would be a 1600 lb, two-seat (side-by-side) reverse trike.  Althought it is technically classed as a 3 wheeled motorcycle because as the disclaimer from Polaris states... "SLINGSHOT is a three wheeled motorcycle.  It is not an automobile, it does not have airbags and it does not meet automotive safety standards".  So it would require a Motorcycle Endorsement on your drivers license the same as the CanAM Spider does.  This means you should be allowed to take the road portion of your motorcycle license exam with it.  

Now for the vehicle itself... To me it is still not a motorcycle (despite what Polaris or the DMV says) but I still think it is a pretty cool open air Sports Vehicle. From what I have read in the early reviews by both motorcycle magazines and automobile magazines it is fast and handles like a dream. I am gonna have to go to the Polaris dealer and see if I can drive or ride one (whatever you would call it)
    • 16795 posts
    August 12, 2014 5:04 PM PDT
    My wife showed me a photo on the net of the RV park at "the Chip" from last week, this would fit in nice with that crowd.
    • 19007 posts
    August 13, 2014 1:04 AM PDT
    RevBigJohn wrote...
    My wife showed me a photo on the net of the RV park at "the Chip" from last week, this would fit in nice with that crowd.

Rev.....Naughty Boy

and 'the times they are a changin"

Would rather drive a Cj7 instead of one of those reverse trikes. 

• August 13, 2014 5:48 AM PDT
    Since Morgan has been building these things forever, all of a sudden they get popular when the Canunks start doing it?

Jon
    • 16795 posts
    August 13, 2014 5:59 AM PDT
    RexTheRoadDog wrote...
    RevBigJohn wrote...

Rev.....Naughty Boy

and 'the times they are a changin"

Would rather drive a Cj7 instead of one of those reverse trikes. 

If I hadn't accidently found and watched an episode of "Ultimate RV" on the Travel Channel........
    They built a multi-million dollar rolling palace with storage space under the unit that housed
    2 designer built bikes.
    What really got me was the airhead trophy wife say "I want to roll into Sturgis with the best motorhome".

OK I'm way old school, but what happened to "I want to roll into Sturgis on the best motorcycle".

• 19007 posts
    August 14, 2014 12:51 AM PDT
     AB SOOO LUTE   LY   Rev!
    • 3006 posts
    August 14, 2014 5:33 AM PDT
    Looks like a really interesting ride.I am curious what sort of handling it really has.Keep us posted Lucky if you manage to get to drive one.Personally it holds no appeal for me,I will stick to two wheels as long as possible !!!
  • August 14, 2014 6:39 AM PDT
    I'm sorry,but anything that has bucket seats and a steering wheel just doesn't float my boat.....I think the above mentioned trophy wife needs to head the opposite direction from Sturgis IMHO.....
    • 284 posts
    August 15, 2014 9:00 AM PDT
    Gotta admit it looks cool. But not my cup of tea. If I want steering wheel and bucket seats I am getting a roof and doors also.

Lucky if you test drive one let us know how it does.
    • 2 posts
    August 16, 2014 2:17 AM PDT
    Been there, done that

• 844 posts
    August 19, 2014 9:45 AM PDT
    Surely not a motorcycle but for a two seat sports car it looks pretty cool.
    • 284 posts
    August 20, 2014 3:36 AM PDT
    Savage is that actually motorcycle engine driven? That is a cool lookin little 3 wheeler.
    • 2 posts
    August 20, 2014 4:54 AM PDT
    The picture is of a Morgan 3 Wheeler.

The first Morgan 3 Wheelers were a preWWII, British sportscar, powered by a motorcycle engine. Think the first ones were made about 1910.

I think somebody has now purchased the Morgan name and is again producing motorcycle engine powered 3 wheelers

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Motor_Company
  • August 27, 2014 10:59 AM PDT
    Steering Wheel =CAR! period
    • 611 posts
    August 29, 2014 6:19 AM PDT
    Well... it's a 3 wheel sports car, in my opinion. Looks like a blast to drive tho!
    For me, handlebars, a forked front tire and 2 rear wheels = Trike.
    2 front wheels and a steering wheel = sports car... but that's just me.
    Can-Ams have 2 up front with handlebars and you sit on top, on a seat. They look cool and are supposed to handle really well but... still not a 'Trike'... jmo