MC crash bars,

• 27 posts
    July 13, 2014 12:04 PM PDT
     Has anyone had any issues with the MC crash bars as far as quality and installation, looking to buy a set for my 09 shadow
  • July 13, 2014 2:12 PM PDT
    I've only sean them on old German BMW motorcycles. They are there to rotect the engine. I know one guy who layed that down. The carb still cought fire and burned.
    • 2 posts
    July 18, 2014 2:16 AM PDT
    Half a dozen years ago there was a video floating about the internet of a guy riding a large HD motorcycle with crashbars attempting to carve a turn, snagging the crashbar and going down. If I recall correctly he walked away

The people were posting the video were trying to make an anti HD point but the lessons I took from it were:
    1.- Respect your machinery. Ride in a manner appropriate to the machinery
    2. - If you insist on being an idiot, sometimes, under some circumstances crashbars might minimize injury
    • 5418 posts
    July 18, 2014 3:13 AM PDT
    The quality and installation depend on what bars you buy. Make sure the bars are made for your bike and installed correctly and there should be no problem.

I have them on my Road King - came stock with them - and thought they would only help if the bike was dropped standing still or at low speed... which have have done several times. But I was amazed after our accident last year when I was sliding across the ground and watching my bike slide faster and farther than me. I slide on the crash bars for over 30 feet and the only damage to the bike were scratches under the crash bars, a broken highway peg that was mounted on the crash bar and a broker mirror.

Again, make sure the crash bar is right for the bike... i.e. doesn't effect the riding and it does protect the bike if laid down and you should have no issues.
    • 27 posts
    July 20, 2014 3:42 PM PDT
    Thanks for the input everyone, I'm sure honda has them in there book, just wanting to protect from accidental drops,and would like foot pegs.
  • September 7, 2014 10:17 PM PDT
    I had them on an old FLA. they kept the bike off my leg after laying it down in the curve. They are well worth having.
    • 284 posts
    September 8, 2014 10:41 AM PDT
    I am not fond of them. To me none of them look right. I do like hwy pegs but not bars.

They have advantages and disadvantages.

I know when I laid my Sportster down taking a corner I spun on the brake pedal and foot peg and did no damage to the bike. I was amazed I did not knock something off or scrape the heck out of the tank or fenders.
    • 27 posts
    September 8, 2014 3:51 PM PDT
    Actually I'm talking about the M/C enterprise brand of crash bars, just ordered a set, anyone else have a set of these?
    • 284 posts
    September 13, 2014 11:05 AM PDT
    The Word CRASH BAR is misleading. I have not looked at every brand on the market, but none of them will stop damage to your scoot. Most of them will FOLD in half. You will still end up with, unless you are lucky, damage to the bike and more than likely you. I do not know of anyone company that is any better than another, except in customer service.

It is like which Cage company has the safest vehicle. With all the airbags, the same companies keep getting 4 or 5 stars in safety.

But all it takes is being in the wrong place at the wrong time, crashin just wrong at the wrong angle and nothing stops the damage.

Good luck with your Bars.

SS
    • 844 posts
    September 16, 2014 7:22 AM PDT
    Got to disagree 100% that the crash bars will not protect your bike from damage. I have laid down a bike with crash bars twice and both times absolutely no damage to anything but the crash bars and both times would have caused lots of damage to the bike if they were not there. Of course if it is a really bad crash and the bike is flipping and rolling over, or you get broad sided they will not help much. Also, I don't think they were ever intended to protect the rider except maybe if you drop the bike while stopped they may keep it from crushing your leg.

Just curious SS, how many have you had fold in half?