Harley won't honor a warranty because the rider was flying

• 2 posts
    May 23, 2014 12:47 PM PDT
     A former state lawmaker from Chippewa Falls who has logged more miles on a Harley-Davidson than probably anyone on the planet says Harley has denied a warranty claim on his new bike because there are too many big flags flown on it, including a 3-foot-by-5-foot American flag.

Dave Zien, who rode more than a million miles on his 1991 Harley that's now parked in the Sturgis Motorcycle Museum and Hall of Fame in South Dakota, says Harley-Davidson refused to honor the warranty on his 2014 motorcycle after the clutch failed on a recent trip to Dallas.

"All they said was, because I fly flags on the bike, there's no warranty on the powertrain," Zien said Thursday.

www.jsonline.com/business/motorcycle-enthusiast-claims-harley-voided-warranty-over-flags-b99275797z1-260267341.html

• May 23, 2014 1:41 PM PDT
    Time to start checking out the new Indians I guess.
    • 16795 posts
    May 23, 2014 3:07 PM PDT
    That's nuts, I bought an American flag and mounting staff from an HD dealer my last trip to Sturgis.
    Granted it wasn't 3' x 5'.
    • 314 posts
    May 24, 2014 12:54 AM PDT
    I just seen the story on fox news and his interview. I don't think he will go away and shouldn't
    • 19007 posts
    May 24, 2014 1:21 AM PDT
    COme on HArley!
  • Abe
    May 24, 2014 2:19 AM PDT
    There you Go
    • 3006 posts
    May 24, 2014 4:29 AM PDT
    WOW seriously??!?! Harley Davidson must be getting bigheaded to turn down a claim like this,unless this is like the third clutch he went thru?!!?

Can anyone explain the relationship between flying a large flag and clutch failure??
    • 1 posts
    May 25, 2014 7:07 AM PDT
    First (not that I am taking HD side on this) any and all mods can make your warranty void. Something as simple as changing your pipes will void it. Most dealerships honor these warranties any way as they know it is bad for business not to.
    Last fall when these "new and improved" bikes came out I was checking them out and me and a few guys was discussing what we found would be flawed engineering and designs. Now being the owner of more then one of Harley's latest and greatest designs I have came to the conclusion that I will let someone else work out those bugs before I would buy again.
    I said this to one of the guys and in front of HD tech that was there to promote these bikes looked at me stuck his finger to his nose and shock his head yes.
    My guess is this is going to be a problem with more of these machines down the line as most people do not put these kind of miles on a bike, especially in such little time as this guy. So HD will probably ride out the warranty because they know most will not put those miles on a bike before that warranty is expired. Do I think it is right NO! It is a new bike that thing is not even a year old and in my book just broke in. If Hd does do something that will open them up for a lot more of these repairs that are coming in the future. And we all know it is not about relationships but the bottom line of the Benjamin's for any and all companies HD is no different in that aspect.
  • May 27, 2014 12:43 PM PDT
    I would think that being a "Former Lawmaker" Hew ould understand the power of starting a local, even a National negitive P.R Campaign.
  • May 27, 2014 2:01 PM PDT
    Once engaged a clutch doesn't slip no matter the "drag" Unless it faulty. the only time drag effects a clutch is starting off. Then the weight and resistance wear a clutch. Once cruising drag effects the motor causing it to run hot and or burn up, it also plays hell on trannys wearing them out, but mot the clutch. Anybody that has sized wheels on a boat knows very well how drag effects an engine. Nor are these types of clutches "safety clutches" designed to slip under drag like a PTO clutch on a tractor bush hog. The HD dealer has no clue how engines work to make an outragous claim as that. Clutches wear out or break because of improper install, adjustment, improper usage, old age, or defective. If the flags were causing that much drag it would not have been starting or getting to cruising speed so they would have wore the tranny or burned up the motor but not the clutch
    • 544 posts
    May 30, 2014 7:14 AM PDT
    The more attention a story like this gets, the more likely HD will change their mind.
  • June 1, 2014 8:40 AM PDT
    aquadave wrote...
    Once engaged a clutch doesn't slip no matter the "drag" Unless it faulty. the only time drag effects a clutch is starting off. Then the weight and resistance wear a clutch. Once cruising drag effects the motor causing it to run hot and or burn up, it also plays hell on trannys wearing them out, but mot the clutch. Anybody that has sized wheels on a boat knows very well how drag effects an engine. Nor are these types of clutches "safety clutches" designed to slip under drag like a PTO clutch on a tractor bush hog. The HD dealer has no clue how engines work to make an outragous claim as that. Clutches wear out or break because of improper install, adjustment, improper usage, old age, or defective. If the flags were causing that much drag it would not have been starting or getting to cruising speed so they would have wore the tranny or burned up the motor but not the clutch

Hmm, harley just posted all kinds of pics from thier big aniv party. Most of the folks attending were flying flags from thier countries and states. I wonder if they all know they have voided thier warranty? Or if Harley has become the same hypocritical a$$holes as Obama?

• June 5, 2014 12:15 AM PDT
    I can't believe Harley-Davidson, This man loves their bikes true and blue,and he loves his country and countrymen. All Harley looks at is a bottom line. Harley needs to get a set of BALLS! Or like someone else said, look at Indians, the other American Company... Shame on you Harley-Davidson....
  • December 7, 2014 9:03 AM PST
    Coley wrote...
     Or like someone else said, look at Indians, the other American Company...

Polaris owns Indian now, are they American??

• 2 posts
    December 23, 2014 2:09 PM PST
    Bluetick wrote...
    Coley wrote...
     Or like someone else said, look at Indians, the other American Company...

Polaris owns Indian now, are they American??

Yup, probably more domestic content than the other brand