Clutch Cover Screws (Rally Cover)

• May 11, 2014 1:46 PM PDT
    I'd like some advice on removing stripped screws (the screw head is stripped - not the threads on the bolts) on my clutch cover. I upgraded to an '08 FLHX (loving that 6 gallon tank) and I have recently changed the crank and trans. fluids...but I need to change the primary fluid - can't access it....any suggestions? Use an 'easy out' or what? Certainly don't want to bring it in to the dealer....
    thanks,
    Dave
    • 79 posts
    May 11, 2014 3:49 PM PDT
    Use a drill bit the size of the screw,drill only deep enough to take the head of the screw off.After revoving the heads remove the cover and use vice grips to take the screws out.
    • 1855 posts
    • 5420 posts
    May 12, 2014 2:23 AM PDT
    Either of those work fine. I always like to try the screw extractor (easy out) method first because it requires a smaller size hole. Then if that fails you can drill the screw head off.

Another method I use is to use a Dremel and cut a slot in the head and try to use a straight screwdriver.

Good Luck!
  • May 12, 2014 3:18 AM PDT
    what JMD said. after you get the cover off, spray the screws with a thick coat of WD40 and let it sit a while before using vise grips and use a back and forth motion unscrewing them. work it out, don't try to force the screw out
  • May 12, 2014 6:24 AM PDT
  • May 24, 2014 2:34 PM PDT
    Alright, got them damn stripped headed screws off the cover.
    JMD, was going to 'drill them out' but didn't have the right chuck key for my 1/2 drill .....shoulda seen me trying a smaller key to no avail!
    Thanks Jimmy for the 'link' , but didn't want to spend the money - knew I could get 'em off If I persisted!
    AquaDave; I did spray the remaining studs after successfully getting the heads off...and they came out w/o a problem.
    Fred; I couldn't open the link, thanks though!
    Lucky; didn't use an 'easy out', didn't have any at hand, as well, couldn't find my lil Dremel, so I used a 'Pencil Grinder w/ a coned stone' and grinded them off. Kinda scratch the cover a slight bit, yet can hardly see it, but got them damn screws off and replaced them w/ new ones. The idiot that had the bike before me, must of torqued the hell outta those screws - geez what an idiot! lol!
    So, I was finally able to change the primary fluid (Amsoil) - Thanks everybody for the help!
    Dave ~

• May 25, 2014 3:49 AM PDT
    Glad you them out
    • 5420 posts
    May 25, 2014 7:16 AM PDT
    Glad you got it fixed. Unless you have a real steady hand it is almost impossible to grind the head of a screw without scratching the area around it - hopefully your scratches are small enough that they can only be seen if you look for them.
    • 2 posts
    May 25, 2014 12:09 PM PDT
    Try to keep a couple of left hand brill bits around.
    "Easy-Outs"? Ptew, every time I tried to use one it broke on me then had a stuck screw with a stuck "Easy-Out" in it.

A manual impact driver is a really good help but I don't know where mine is any more.
    http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impact-driver/p-00947641000P
  • May 25, 2014 1:06 PM PDT
    I too never had any luck with easy outs now lefthanded drill bits work great