Puzzled.

• May 9, 2014 12:57 AM PDT

About a month ago I replaced the starter on my 2007 Electra Glide Classic (FLHTC) I Pulled the old starter out, installed a new o-ring on the nose of the new starter, oiled the new o-ring, put a thin layer of dielectric grease on the starter mounting flange and toured it down to 27 ft pounds. My baby fired right up!

Here we are a month later when I noticed oil pooled in the transmission pocket directly below the starter. My bike had no leaks prior to this so I suspected my starter install. I checked the primary fluid and yep, that is where it is coming from.

What did I miss? Is there a trick I do not know about? I want to cure this leak, but wanted to ask you guys if I overlooked something in my initial install, or if you knew of any tips or tricks?

Thanks!

Dave.

• May 9, 2014 1:18 AM PDT
    Maybe you nicked the seal around shaft in inner primary
  • May 9, 2014 2:46 AM PDT
    You mean the o-ring that goes around the nose of the starter?
    • 1 posts
    May 9, 2014 2:46 AM PDT
    Sounds like you did everything just as you should have.

Yep, the o-ring seal was bad or got got damaged when you installed.

Looks like you're going to get real good at removing and installing starters since you get to do it again :-(
  • May 9, 2014 5:00 AM PDT
    BailOut wrote...
    Sounds like you did everything just as you should have.

Yep, the o-ring seal was bad or got got damaged when you installed.

Looks like you're going to get real good at removing and installing starters since you get to do it again :-(

Well hell, that's what I was afraid of.

Does any one know what the actual o-ring number is? I don't mean the OEM part number, I mean the actual o-ring spec number. I am presuming they are a Buna-Nitrile base o- ring. The reason I ask is I am considering going up one diameter in the Cross section. In otherwords if the existing number dictates .032 Dia. cross section (AKA thickness) I want to go up .015 to a .047 crosssection. Any thoughts?
  • May 12, 2014 8:27 AM PDT
    The factory size does not leak when installed properly, so I wouldn't vary from that or you might be doin it again
  • May 12, 2014 10:33 AM PDT
    did you retorque after running for a while? it may be as simple as tightening the bolts again. always check your bolts after a little time
  • May 17, 2014 6:35 PM PDT
    Thanks dave, I thought of that. I replaced the o- ring again, and still had a leak. So after much head scratching I got really looking, I pulled the new starter apart and checked the o-rings in it. sure enough there was a damaged o-ring straight from the factory. I replaced that, I took the bike out for about two hours yesterday and did not see any leaks when I pulled back in last night. I'll check it over more closley today.