Copper plating

• 1855 posts
    April 8, 2014 11:04 AM PDT
    I would like to learn how to do some copper plating (electroplating) but I really can't find a darn thing on the internet that tells me what materials I need to do so.   I'd like to copper plate brake calipers, rocker boxes, push rod covers, derby covers, and other small items as accent to a motorcycle. Does anyone have any information they can pass on to me.

Peace
  • April 8, 2014 11:10 AM PDT
    Contact any place that does chroming.... I believe that could be the chemical coating process just before the chrome. I have seen bikes being done with the above mentioned process at Paul Yaffes shop out in AZ.

Trippin

PS.... it looked really nice, but I think that cleaning it would be a bitch (water spots)
    • 5420 posts
    April 8, 2014 11:46 AM PDT
    This is a similar experiment to what my son and I did a few years back.  We used pure copper tubing instead of a penny to supply copper.  Don't know if you could scale it up.

• 1855 posts
    April 8, 2014 12:04 PM PDT
    Thanks. I need enough of a copper bath to do some of the accessories and I just have to figure out the ratio of materials and the voltage. Looks pretty simple really.
  • April 9, 2014 8:56 AM PDT
    Here's another link:

http://youtu.be/GEWwFltzp34 />
  • April 9, 2014 9:10 AM PDT
    look up jewelry suppliers I like Rio Grande
    • 1855 posts
    April 9, 2014 9:57 AM PDT
    Thanks guys. I've found out some great info. All I have to do is get my damn garage cleaned up/out. My attached garage is 25 x 30. One side/bay will have a motorcycle lift. The other bay has the Heritage. I'll be setting up the copper plating station on the back 30' wall. Should be plenty of room to do the little things. But first I've got crap in the garage that someone else put there. Could it have been Gypsy? LOL

Peace
  • April 10, 2014 5:13 AM PDT
    Don't forget that copper tarnishes (turns green) very easily. You will need a means to apply a clear coat as soon as it dries after the rinse bath.

Jon
    • 16825 posts
    April 10, 2014 5:54 AM PDT
    JonCallihan wrote...
    Don't forget that copper tarnishes (turns green) very easily. You will need a means to apply a clear coat as soon as it dries after the rinse bath.

Jon