Has this happened to anyone

• March 12, 2014 7:07 AM PDT
     Was heading to the Dr. office today (in my 2006 Dodge P/U automatic 5.7 hemi) and went to pass a semi .........well the accelator went straight to the floor and in no time I was passing through 80 MPH. I kept punching the accelator with my foot, nothing, tried hitting the brake, nothing. Finally I managed to just get the tip of my boot under the accelator and it popped back up. That has never happened before in that Truck, so an investigation is in progress at this time.
    If this has ever happen to you let me know what was determined to be the cause.
    Would appreciate it

Night Dragon.........
    • 611 posts
    March 12, 2014 8:37 AM PDT
    Some of the newer trucks/cars have a 'sensor' that controls the accelerator. There is no real link (mechanically) between the throttle and pedal. Also ya might wanna check a few things: 1. Was the floor mat where it should be? 2. An '06 is prob fuel injected so no 'carb', just a throttle-body/intake sensor that reacts with the pedal movement. If you do have a direct linkage, it might have gotten caught in between the pedal and engine in a 'binding point'. If the covers are removed, look @ the undersides for wear marks. 3. New truck! hahahahaaaa...
  • March 12, 2014 9:01 AM PDT
    check for recalls  get it checked out before something bad happens
    • 9 posts
    March 12, 2014 10:43 AM PDT
    Dang, Kenny!
    Check on that truck, on GOOGLE
    OR
    vehiclerecall.com

That ain't 'posed to happen, and I don't give a darn what YOU DRIVE!
    BE CAREFUL, Brother. <3

RIde Free
    Tweek
    • 2 posts
    March 12, 2014 12:54 PM PDT
    Once got a floor mat rolled up under the accelerator; was an exhilarating couple of seconds until I figured out what was happening.

Never forget that you have an ignition switch; when all goes to hell TURN IT OFF
  • March 12, 2014 1:41 PM PDT
    99Savage wrote...
    Once got a floor mat rolled up under the accelerator; was an exhilarating couple of seconds until I figured out what was happening.

Never forget that you have an ignition switch; when all goes to hell TURN IT OFF

Good point but remember if you turn the key more than one click you might lock the steering wheel,  and at 80 MPH..........Ya Hoo what a ride.

• March 12, 2014 7:54 PM PDT
    This maybe was a way for your Harley to tell you it is spring time and you should have been riding her instead!! Glad you were not hurt Bro!
  • March 13, 2014 8:32 AM PDT
    Been in a lot of mud lately? I had the accelerator jam on an old Ford pick up once from dried mud and rocks putting it in a bind.
  • March 13, 2014 11:47 AM PDT
    Back in the old days had the linkage cable stick on my Pontiac Firebird, was able to shift to neutral and coast to a stop and pop the hood....needless to say guick fix removing air filter housing and giving it a yank and a shot of wd 40
  • March 13, 2014 1:28 PM PDT
    Not really the response you're looking for......but when I'm passing a semi, usually doing 80 to do so. Just saying, lol
    • 2 posts
    March 13, 2014 1:56 PM PDT
    Back-in-the-day an acquaintance picked up a brand new, freshly delivered, out of the box Charger from the dealer.

She is driving home and the throttle sticks full open

She burns off the brakes, not good enough

Tries the emergency, nothing

Sees an embankment and runs over it - Survives some how

I ask her "Whey didn't you shut it off?"

She says, "Do you expect me to think of everything!"

For the record, it was a manufacturing/assembly problem and they did make good.
    • 3006 posts
    March 13, 2014 5:17 PM PDT
    Let us know if you find anything out.Recently read in paper, where GM is doing a recall on certain vehicles for the ignition key being bumped into the off position while the car is running,causing serious accidents.I am curious if the linkage is to blame. Good Luck
  • March 14, 2014 5:13 PM PDT
    As a matter of fact is has happened to me but I was coming off turn 4 on a 1/2 mile dirt track. Seems when I hit the inside birm when almost spinning my car out my air cleaner nut wasn't tight enough and the top of my air cleaner tilted and locked the throttle cable wide open. Hit the wall about 90 mph, a little trip to the hospital, 2 months off my bike and missed a race............but healed and back to business. Enjoy life, you just never know.