Consumer Reports says . . .

• 2 posts
    March 10, 2014 11:42 AM PDT
    • 5420 posts
    March 10, 2014 1:44 PM PDT
    Could be because Harley riders actually put miles on their bikes :-)

But I got over 300,000 miles between two past Harleys and one I have now and only once was one in the shop for anything other than scheduled maintenance.

That's why I don't put a lot of weight in things like consumer reports... or watch movies that won Oscars for that matter :-)
  • March 10, 2014 2:54 PM PDT
    It may have a lot to do with the buyers, So many 1st timers want to jump on the Harley train not knowing what they're doing or how to ride
    • 611 posts
    March 10, 2014 7:41 PM PDT
    Ride what ya want... Want what ya ride! Have owned most major brands, some were great & others were a paim!
    I ride HD because I like them! Simple, really... Ride what you like, enjoy, repeat!
    Edge 'Rider' Waalker
    • 544 posts
    March 11, 2014 4:11 AM PDT
    Obviously, I like many of you don't trust the government but I also don't trust companies. Who's to say that Consumer Reports is not paid to give their reports? I mean they are a Company and they do care about the bottom line don't they? I'll give you another example of a company that distorts the truth to their own good. The Better Business Bureau is not a government agency yet passes themselves off as the authority. If you pay the BBB to be accredited you will have a better score than many companies that choose not too. Now, back on Consumer Reports. I believe that they are biased according to the bottom line of the company. If you want to know about Harley Davidson or BMW or any other brand talk to the owners of such. Trust no one but your own gut.
    • 5420 posts
    March 11, 2014 5:22 AM PDT
    Edgewalker54 wrote...
    Ride what ya want... Want what ya ride! Have owned most major brands, some were great & others were a paim!
    I ride HD because I like them! Simple, really... Ride what you like, enjoy, repeat!
    Edge 'Rider' Waalker

If you ride any motorcycle enough, you will have to fix it at some point!

• March 11, 2014 5:53 AM PDT
    I have yet to find a bike that requires maintenance and fixing only every 50k miles but I'm still looking. I ride Honda's in the dirt and Harley's on the street because I enjoy them period. If I win the lottery the first bike I'm going to buy is one of each of them.
    • 846 posts
    March 11, 2014 6:02 AM PDT
    I seen the article and it may have been better listed as cost per mile. If you look at the list both manufactures at the bottom are both the types of bikes that user will but High mileage on.
    • 1855 posts
    March 11, 2014 9:03 AM PDT
    midlifecrises wrote...
    Obviously, I like many of you don't trust the government but I also don't trust companies. Who's to say that Consumer Reports is not paid to give their reports? I mean they are a Company and they do care about the bottom line don't they? I'll give you another example of a company that distorts the truth to their own good. The Better Business Bureau is not a government agency yet passes themselves off as the authority. If you pay the BBB to be accredited you will have a better score than many companies that choose not too. Now, back on Consumer Reports. I believe that they are biased according to the bottom line of the company. If you want to know about Harley Davidson or BMW or any other brand talk to the owners of such. Trust no one but your own gut.

Just like AARP pushes United Health Care and Humana.  I'm old and crotchety anyway and I've come to the conclusion that I don't trust anyone or anything except my OL and my dog.  I'm a bit ashamed to say that I've developed an unhealthy attitude:   "You don't have anything to say that I want to hear and I don't have anything to say that you can understand".    I know, that's just damn awful isn't it.  But sometimes I just can't help it.  All the crap that people believe and say just astounds me sometimes.    It's gotten so that I take so long to make a decision because I can't even trust myself.  
    • 314 posts
    March 11, 2014 11:50 AM PDT
    Would be great to know how many miles and what issues the bikes had
    • 57 posts
    March 11, 2014 1:53 PM PDT
    I find this post particularly funny since I believe it wasn't to long ago most of you were commenting on not buying one of the New 2014 Harley models because of unreliability,guess thats where the report is correct about owner loyalty to the brand, from reading what was in the article sounds like most of the problems were mostly the extras.It really doesn't matter to me what brand you ride but when I decided to buy motorcycle there was only one brand H-D if it breaks I'm going to fix it